Direct transcoding option

slavd
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hello,

currently when Emby is playing media there are lots of transcoding options, for example for video files - 1080p, 720p etc., including a special option called 'Auto'. To my understanding if Emby decides that you have a fast enough connection it will switch to a 'Auto - Direct' mode and it will stream the movie as is, without transcoding. However, there is no 'Direct' standalone option present.

Why is this feature needed:

Sometimes the 'Auto' option decides that the connection speed is not fast enough so it switches to a transcoding method (usually 720p 1Mbps for me). This is problematic, as not only the movie quality  becomes terrible to watch, but induces stress to the server, which becomes too great once more than 2-3 users are watching simultaneously - resulting in a buffering movie even at a low quality. 

Currently to get around the problem with low quality stream I have to go to settings and manually change the transcoding to the same resolution and bitrate that I know the movie is originally (or greater). This is unnecessary and could be avoided by providing a separate 'Direct' streaming option. 

Edited by slavd
  • Like 2

Hi, you can always disable user access to transcoding using user permissions, but please make sure to read the help text underneath the option before doing so.

Hi, you can always disable user access to transcoding using user permissions, but please make sure to read the help text underneath the option before doing so.

I know I can do that, I do not want to. I want to be able to transcode when my connection is slow but I want the freedom to exclusively choose when to do so, not count on the 'auto' option. 

So why not just use the quality setting then?

???

That is what I am explaining for the last 2 posts.

5e9dc8a61fb0a_Screenshotfrom202004201705

There is no standalone 'Direct' quality option. The only way to get a 'direct' stream is by choosing the 'auto' option and that changes in the middle of the movie to 480p or something even though i have a fast enough connection to stream directly

The only way to get a 'direct' stream is by choosing the 'auto' option and that changes in the middle of the movie to 480p or something even though i have a fast enough connection to stream directly

Hi.  That's not true.  You can simply set your quality setting at some number higher than your highest bitrate content that you are also sure your connection can handle.

Anything under the bitrate setting will direct play (as long as all other criteria allow it).

• Like 1

Hi. That's not true. You can simply set your quality setting at some number higher than your highest bitrate content that you are also sure your connection can handle.

Anything under the bitrate setting will direct play (as long as all other criteria allow it).

That is what I do now. But why not just add a direct play option? What is the big deal? Why go trough all that hassle?

That is what I do now. But why not just add a direct play option? What is the big deal? Why go trough all that hassle?

Select the highest bitrate available and that is your "direct play" option. 

The reason we don't offer it labeled that way is because most users would look at it and say "sure, I want it to direct play, why not" and turn it on.  Then come here and report that the system is broken because most of their items won't play.

Select the highest bitrate available and that is your "direct play" option. 

The reason we don't offer it labeled that way is because most users would look at it and say "sure, I want it to direct play, why not" and turn it on.  Then come here and report that the system is broken because most of their items won't play.

Seriously? That is the reason? Name it 'No transcoding' then...

An end user is not necessarily going to know what that means.

We already have the ability for you to achieve what you want...

"No Transcoding" would not be accurate because it could still transcode for other reasons besides quality such as supported media formats.

Happy2Play

What would we tell users that select "no transcoding" and their media fails to play?

Edited by Happy2Play

samuelqwe

This is just an idea, but a compromise could be to show “Original” next to the original quality or something like that. That way, you would know which is the original quality of the file, and it wouldn’t insinuate that the show won’t transcode.

Happy2Play

Personally I set all clients to Max or tell users too, and control all users via "Internet streaming bitrate limit".  A client/app setting becomes irrelevant unless set lower than my Threshold.

This is just an idea, but a compromise could be to show “Original” next to the original quality or something like that. That way, you would know which is the original quality of the file, and it wouldn’t insinuate that the show won’t transcode.

Yes, an original quality option is not a bad idea.

+1 

I haven't thought of that.