MB3 Server Install Location

SirFoggy

SirFoggy

I like to keep system drive as clean and uncluttered as possible. I really don't want thousands and thousands of small (several hundred bytes) files such as fanart.xml on it.There are some other benefits of having complete MB3 server installation on a dedicated drive.

So why AppData\Roaming folder? What is so special about it? Why not somewhere else or have the setup let me choose location?

• Like 2

Maleficarum

If I remember correctly it has something to do with being able to guarantee that updates will complete successfully.

Sent from my C1505 using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

So why AppData\Roaming folder? What is so special about it? Why not somewhere else or have the setup let me choose location?

It allows them to bypass UAC on updates.

You can move cache, metadata and trancoding folders in the Web Configuration Client under Advanced -> Paths and Advanced -> Transcoding.

Would be nice if we could move the data path as well though.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 2

SirFoggy

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Luke, I know about those options, they do the job but from the end-user point they are not as elegant and convenient as they should be.

I know it is not exactly the same but I'll take Steam as an example. It looks, feels, and behaves like a browser-based application doing for games what MB3 Server does for media. During the setup phase I am given the option to choose location where Steam will be installed so I have have Steam and all the games installed on a separate drive. Save for Steamservice.exe in Common Files folder there is absolutely nothing Steam related on the system drive yet it manages to update itself and the games. If they can do it why MB3 Server can't?

Koleckai Silvestri

An install location has been asked for in the past. It isn't a high priority for the developers and may never get added.

in the meantime you can very easily change the paths where things are stored. it will reduce the size of the installation to almost nothing.

• 6 years later...
Richard Branches

Besides installing the server by using the portable version and put it wherever we want, the Windows installer window needs an option to choose a custom location to also install the server wherever we want.

Thank you.