Double Router Port Forwarding Not Working

JulesC

JulesC

I like to keep things simple but simple isn't always the easiest. I run Emby on Linux and I'm comfortable with OpenSSL so it's not a fit for everyone.

There's a pinned thread about SSL from a beginner perspective along with a some discussion about options: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81404-ssl-made-easy/?p=830347

My approach is:

- Register with a DDNS provider.

- Install their preferred IP updater client.

- Install an ACME client for LetsEncrypt. I use Certbot and don't know what's best and/or easiest for Windows.

- Get the certs and create the PKCS12 container for Emby.

I spend around 10 minutes every 3 months to update my cert so I'm not all that motivated to automate any of it or make it any more complicated.

There are other steps specific to getting Emby up and running with SSL. Those are covered in the linked thread and here: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159601-network-hosting-settings and here: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160086-secure-your-server.

I was guessing that you're on DSL based on your router model. What is your upload rate? Hopefully not too low or you might have been doing this for naught.

@@Q-Droid my upload rate is 3 Mbps. Is this an issue? What upload rate were you looking for? Why would this be an issue? Thank you

Q-Droid

It's not ideal. It means any media you're sharing will be limited to 3mbps in the best conditions. So either your content will have to be of a lower bitrate or your server will have to transcode on the fly to convert your media to the lower bitrate. And since 3mbps is likely your best then any congestion or other activity in your household will affect that and effectively lower it. Just keep in mind that you don't have much headroom.

maegibbons

That really depends on what you want to stream and to how many people simultaneously.

Most 1080p content has a bitrate of < 10Mbps

On the other hand 4k content often has a bitrate > 30Mbps

It depends what is available to you at your location from your ISPs.

In the UK most ISPS offer up to 20Mbps upload on FTTC dependent on copper distance.

This just about does me for a couple of external streams.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

pwhodges

@@Q-Droid my upload rate is 3 Mbps. Is this an issue? What upload rate were you looking for? Why would this be an issue? Thank you

"VDSL" implies to me (in the UK) that you have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), and if that's what you have I'm surprised you're getting such a low upload speed.  Maybe you should check with your ISP whether you are getting what they'd expect you to.

Paul

Q-Droid

@@Q-Droid, what is your recommended upload rate? I want to ensure my sister has a quality experience. Thank you again

You have to consider your upload rate and your sister's download rate. Streaming will be limited to the lowest of the two.

As others posted it also depends on the content. What you stream and how many streams will determine your bandwidth needs.

For example SD/DVD quality would work fine with 3mbps. But remember that you might not always have 3mbps available.

I consider an upstream of 6-8 the sweet spot for most content that leaves room for other network traffic. I have 22 up, limit streaming to 6 and convert movies to 1080p @ 5mbps for remote and browser playback. They look good enough for my eyes.

JulesC

That really depends on what you want to stream and to how many people simultaneously.

Most 1080p content has a bitrate of < 10Mbps

On the other hand 4k content often has a bitrate > 30Mbps

It depends what is available to you at your location from your ISPs.

In the UK most ISPS offer up to 20Mbps upload on FTTC dependent on copper distance.

This just about does me for a couple of external streams.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

@@maegibbons I have some Blu-Ray/1080p, but the majority of my movies our 720p/DVD. I only plan on sharing my movies with 2-3 family members max.  With this said, I would think that 20 Mbps upload rate would work - Right?

"VDSL" implies to me (in the UK) that you have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), and if that's what you have I'm surprised you're getting such a low upload speed.  Maybe you should check with your ISP whether you are getting what they'd expect you to.

Paul

@@pwhodges Yes, I plan on contacting my ISP today to upgrade our internet speed. Thank you both for your responses

JulesC

You have to consider your upload rate and your sister's download rate. Streaming will be limited to the lowest of the two.

As others posted it also depends on the content. What you stream and how many streams will determine your bandwidth needs.

For example SD/DVD quality would work fine with 3mbps. But remember that you might not always have 3mbps available.

I consider an upstream of 6-8 the sweet spot for most content that leaves room for other network traffic. I have 22 up, limit streaming to 6 and convert movies to 1080p @ 5mbps for remote and browser playback. They look good enough for my eyes.

@@Q-Droid thank you. Yes, my sister's download rate could be an issue...I'll have to double check. Just want to confirm, are you limiting your bandwidth to remote users streaming content to 5mbps? Definitely look to increase my internet connection speed (up and down).

Thanks to ALL again for your continued support...I'm learning so very much thanks to your willingness to share

Q-Droid

@@Q-Droid thank you. Yes, my sister's download rate could be an issue...I'll have to double check. Just want to confirm, are you limiting your bandwidth to remote users streaming content to 5mbps? Definitely look to increase my internet connection speed (up and down).

Thanks to ALL again for your continued support...I'm learning so very much thanks to your willingness to share

I limit the remote users to 6mpbs but convert some media to 5mbps for wiggle room. If a remote user tries to play something with a bitrate higher than 6mbps and I don't have a pre-converted lower bitrate version available then my server will transcode to the 6mpbs limit during playback. But it's still not as straightforward as this because every client connecting to Emby plays a guessing game with the server to figure out their bandwidth at the time of playback and it's often wrong. Call it bitrate roulette. Sometimes you have to tell Emby what your bitrate is once you know it, in the client settings. Not a big deal, you'll see once you get started.

JulesC

I limit the remote users to 6mpbs but convert some media to 5mbps for wiggle room. If a remote user tries to play something with a bitrate higher than 6mbps and I don't have a pre-converted lower bitrate version available then my server will transcode to the 6mpbs limit during playback. But it's still not as straightforward as this because every client connecting to Emby plays a guessing game with the server to figure out their bandwidth at the time of playback and it's often wrong. Call it bitrate roulette. Sometimes you have to tell Emby what your bitrate is once you know it, in the client settings. Not a big deal, you'll see once you get started.

@@Q-Droid very helpful. Thanks