Collections Display Order

JohnnyM

JohnnyM

I'm having a problem with the display order of Box Set Collection in Rokus. The metadata from manager has the display order as release date. Emby's WebApp vers 4.4.2.0 displays the collections in release order. Emby Theatre displays them in release order BUT some of the collections in Roku are displayed in Name or Title order and I didn't not set them that way. One of my collection is in Name order on purpose and it is set that way in Meta data. Some of the collection are in release order but quite a few are in Title order and with 236 of them is not a easy feat to so an find them in Roku

Are the Roku's collection order independent of the Emby server settings and WHY?

Attached is the XML file from /DATA/Collections/Alex Cross [boxset]

Collection.XML.txt

Beerman

• Like 1

Hi.  In the Roku app currently the way collections are presented (which is old and subject to modification) there is a sort order you can change on each Collection view.  Does changing that work?

JohnnyM

Unfortunately, I can change them BUT I have to find them (not that big a deal but there is 236 of them) The bad part it takes one click to select sort, one click to select date but when you do that it jumps back so you have to select sort again. But when you get there it has changed the order from ascending for the name to descending.for the date. Now I have to  then select ascending for the date. That's a whole bunch of clicks

So bottom line is Roku doesn't respect the sort order of collections from the Emby database.

Could you put this up as a feature request or should I?

JohnnyM

• Like 1

Could you put this up as a feature request or should I?

(which is old and subject to modification) 

No need.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Lane03

Not sure when this first occurred, but Emby on Roku is no longer respecting the sort order I have defined on Emby Server for collections. Example, I have a Men in Black Collection and have the metadata set to sort by release date but when I open it up on Roku it's sorted by title.

Edited by Lane03

Lane03

Nevermind, just saw another thread about this very issue. Feel free to delete or merge this post.

Yes, this is already addressed in the current beta.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
paddy75

Hey,

any update for this? My roku is up to date and the emby app also.
I have the same problem. I set some collections the display order to "sort title" (to display the historical sequence) and others to "relase date" in the web frontend. But roku always shows it as "relaese date". Is not very handy to go into each collection and change the sort order manually.

I tried out a few clients during the time and i don't think there is one that covers all needs. All has his advanteages and disadvantages.

5 hours ago, paddy75 said:

Hey,

any update for this? My roku is up to date and the emby app also.
I have the same problem. I set some collections the display order to "sort title" (to display the historical sequence) and others to "relase date" in the web frontend. But roku always shows it as "relaese date". Is not very handy to go into each collection and change the sort order manually.

I tried out a few clients during the time and i don't think there is one that covers all needs. All has his advanteages and disadvantages.

Hi, how does the web app compare?

Happy2Play

@paddy75 I see the same, web client uses Display Order, but Roku does not.  At the same time Roku has its own side menu Sort By options.

paddy75

web app shows everything in the order i set.
would be ok that roku has his own sort by options if you want to change it. but when i login with my account and set the sort order to my prefered order, why roku does not get it from the server? when i remember me correctly, on an appleTV the app gets the same order from the server

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

@ebr@speechlesis there a reason Roku has it its own Collection item order sort vs server?

Yes. Because that part of the application was written before the server was storing these defaults. The Roku app was adjusted per user feedback and sorting them by release date was what was wanted at that time. Remember, storing sort defaults on the server was not always a thing. It had to begin with some hard-coded stuff.

There are hard-coded starting sort value for:
1. Latest - Starting sort is always descending order by date added/created. The user cannot change this there is no sort panel offered.
2. BoxSet - Starting sort is always ascending order by premiere date aka release date. The user is offered a sort panel they can change this.

Apologies we did not remove the BoxSet restriction when adapt in the sort preferences changes for the server. We can do this and it will allow a custom starting view for that BoxSet of whatever was last set. Apologies.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, speechles said:

Because that part of the application was written before the server was storing these defaults.

As far as I can remember the server has had Display order (releasedate/sortttile) for collections way before 2019 v3 app.  But will add this up to another quirk specific to the Roku.

27 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

As far as I can remember the server has had Display order (releasedate/sortttile) for collections way before 2019 v3 app.  But will add this up to another quirk specific to the Roku.

You can alter the sort order of collections after you enter them. But every time you re-enter collections it will not stick and instead force the sort order by release date in ascending order. It is an oversight.

When adding all these new features, doing bug fixes, and other things there are tiny little details that you must remember all over the place. This "force collections to order by release date" code snippet was added because of complaints. We listened and it got put in there. Later on, when we update the code again, we might not notice that it should be removed. Users will notice though most certainly. Their complaints* (which we love do not get me wrong) will make focus us on that area. We will then notice and say "OH NO!" and feel bad that we left in stuff we should have removed likely 3 years ago. Yes that is the case today. It happens. It is proof we are human. That is all it is. It is a longstanding bug that was recently given a focus and we resolved it.

Then we move on. Next!... LOL :)

*Complaints are what we want. We cannot get better without hearing where we do poorly.

Edited by speechles

• 1 year later...
fraenhawk

hate to necro an old topic, but just wondering whether this was ever addressed on Roku or if something new is cropping up with the recent interface changes? I've noticed that while the webapp is still sorting collections by date ascending, roku is a mixed bag. It appears to be defaulting to date descending, but unlike what was said last year you can alter the order after you enter them and it seems to persist, but you have to go into each and every collection to set each one individually.

2 hours ago, fraenhawk said:

hate to necro an old topic, but just wondering whether this was ever addressed on Roku or if something new is cropping up with the recent interface changes? I've noticed that while the webapp is still sorting collections by date ascending, roku is a mixed bag. It appears to be defaulting to date descending, but unlike what was said last year you can alter the order after you enter them and it seems to persist, but you have to go into each and every collection to set each one individually.

HI, yes we are looking into it. Thanks.