Can't stream movie on LG OLEG TV

wp.rauchholz

wp.rauchholz

As topic title says, I cannot stream certain movies on my LG TV.

I am able to stream the movie on my iPad (via app) and on my laptop (via web).

Thanks for helping me to solve this mystery.

I run latest emby on a CENTOS 7 home server

emby-server-4.4.2.0-1.x86_64

emby-server-4.4.2.0-1.x86_64

The error report is attached.

Thanks for helping me to solve this mystery.

Wolfgang

emby_error.txt

Edited by wp.rauchholz

Can you provide a copy of the media info for this file from the bottom of the web app detail screen? Thanks.

rbjtech

Copy the MP4 file onto a USB stick - and try and play with the native LG player.  If it plays fine, then the issue is with Emby not streaming properly for some reason.  If it doesn't play, then the issue is with your media. 

Also to note - emby is trying to extract the elvish subtitles - on the LG Player, I never have any issues with external .srt (txt) based subtitles - so extract them and rename .forced.srt if you need them (which I guess you will unless you speak elvish ...)  :P

Edited by rbjtech

SamES

Copy the MP4 file onto a USB stick - and try and play with the native LG player.  If it plays fine, then the issue is with Emby not streaming properly for some reason.  If it doesn't play, then the issue is with your media. 

Also to note - emby is trying to extract the elvish subtitles - on the LG Player, I never have any issues with external .srt (txt) based subtitles - so extract them and rename .forced.srt if you need them (which I guess you will unless you speak elvish ...)  :P

This is the right thing to try.  

Wolfgang, does this just freeze as soon as you play it, the same as the Avengers sample you gave me some time ago?

wp.rauchholz

This is the right thing to try.  

Wolfgang, does this just freeze as soon as you play it, the same as the Avengers sample you gave me some time ago?

It does not freeze. The screen goes black when I hit play and it stays black.

Wolfgang

wp.rauchholz

I made the test and the movie plays without problem on the LG native player.

Wolfgang

rbjtech

ok - so the only additional step which emby is adding (according to the log) is the subtitle extraction - which is to a .vtt format.

According to the LG website - I'm not sure .vtt subtitles are supported - and may be causing the player to hang.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789-others

I would remux the .mp4 - removing all the subtitle streams, and then try and play again via Emby.  If it then works, then you know this is the issue.

To get the subs working, then simply use an external .srt file (identical named to the video/audio file using .forced.srt if you wish) instead - as these work fine (as do .ass or .ssa) - as per the support list in the link above.

use ffmpeg to create the .srt - it will convert the vtt to srt -

ffmpeg -i inputname.mp4 -map 0:s:0 inputnamet.forced.srt

You may need to map to the correct stream if there are multiple subs - s:0 = first stream, s:1 = next stream etc

Edited by rbjtech