Router Under $200?

Sammy

Sammy

My brother in law texted me earlier for router suggestions under $200. Ubiquity is over budget and I'd end up supporting it.

I like Asus but had issues with them with Spectrum internet from time to time.

Soo??

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mastrmind11

like a wireless router or?  does he need ports? he can do a unifi usg and ap for right around $200.  you can support it from your couch if necessary.

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

Sammy

USG and UAP AC Pro is maybe $260ish? IDK if he needs ports. Maybe not, he's not running a wired network.

maegibbons

Yeah, I would still go Ubiquiti.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

• Like 1

mastrmind11

USG and UAP AC Pro is maybe $260ish? IDK if he needs ports. Maybe not, he's not running a wired network.

Worth the $60 imo, but I've had good success with the Asus stuff in the past so :shrug

• Like 1

Sammy

My recommendation is in for USG and UAP ACPro. They have only one wired device.. A desktop computer which can be used to run the Controller.

Gilgamesh_48

I like Asus but had issues with them with Spectrum internet from time to time.

Install DD-WRT on your Asus, problem solved.

Sammy

Install DD-WRT on your Asus, problem solved.

I sold all 4 of the AiMesh routers and paid for most on my Ubiquity system. I'm DONE with consumer grade grear.

BAlGaInTl

I'm vested in a few Google OnHub routers, or I would make the switch.

It really depends on the use case.  Tough to get a decent wired/wireless consumer mesh at $200.

Seriously though... you can get the OnHubs for around $50-60 ea, and two of them will cover a large area.  Setup is super simple once you get them updated.  

But I only recommend that to normal users... 

Even I'm a power user... and got all 4 of my OnHub routers for around $200 total.  I'm lacking some features that I would like, but that most users won't miss. I've never had a stronger more robust basic network.

jachin99

I got a peplink surf soho for right at 200, and I'm pretty happy with it.  They still update the firmware, and you even have the option of booting into two different firmwares.  My only complaint would be that peplink isn't really a consumer company and you will likely need to go to their forums to fix any issues.  The only issue I have ever had was that I had to disable the DNS health check to keep a solid internet connection.  I never investigated why that happened.