Emby server auto startup with Shield TV

heula

heula

Since version 4.5.0.5 the Emby Server doesn’t start automatically when the Shield TV is rebooted.

I hope this can be resolved in the next versions.

Perhaps it is possible that Emby Server notice itself when it is active and when not so it does start when it is not active.

With Emby server crashes sometimes it restart itself but there are also times it does not. When away from home it is for as far as I know not possible to start the server manually.

It is possible with the Shield TV app but only locally.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

HI, are you sure, is this consistent? I just rebooted my device yesterday and it started up OK.

heula

HI, are you sure, is this consistent? I just rebooted my device yesterday and it started up OK.

Yes , it is consistent since 4.5.0.5. Tested on two different Shield devices. Restarted at 20:35 and at as we speak not available. Need to start it manually.

heula

Are you sure you're not just not giving it enough time to start up?

Almost an hour further and it still is not started.

heula

What I have seen so far is that when Emby Server is not running or is that stuck that I do not have another option than to force a Shield tv reboot manual if possible or otherwise by pulling the power plug Emby will not startup when the reboot is finisht.

When Emby Server is running it does startup when the shield is rebooted.

So it does startup but not in all situations.

What I have seen so far is that when Emby Server is not running or is that stuck that I do not have another option than to force a Shield tv reboot manual if possible or otherwise by pulling the power plug Emby will not startup when the reboot is finisht.

Ok thanks, that's helpful. Can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened?

heula

This is the server log after a reboot when Emby Server was not active. It was manually started.

embyserver.txt

This is the server log after a reboot when Emby Server was still active. It started automatically.

embyserver.txt

heula

When I forced close Emby server and restart shield tv I need to start the server manually.

embyserver-63723329027.txt

When Emby Server is running and get stuck and shield tv does not respond anymore I need to cut the power and restart that way. Emby needs to be started manually.

embyserver.txt

Edited by heula

heula

With Emby server 4.5.0.8 the server does start automatically after restarting the Shield TV when the server was not running. That's good.

embyserver-63723746698.txt

When the server get's stuck and a power cut is needed or a power loss happens when the server was running it does not start automatically when Shield TV is restarted.

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Not ideal, how about android app, launch on boot?

Hi there, can you please explain what you are trying to ask? Thanks.

bubblegum57

Hi there, can you please explain what you are trying to ask? Thanks.

I'm replying to the OP. He wants to know how to get the server to start when the shield boots up.

Edited by bubblegum57

I'm replying to the OP. He wants to know how to get the server to start when the shield boots up.

We have an option in the app so all you have to do is enable it.

bubblegum57

We have an option in the app so all you have to do is enable it.

Hi, please can you tell me where in the Server app is an option to start it automatically.

Thanks

It's in the settings section of the main server menu. Run server at startup.

• 1 month later...
Gilgamesh_48
6 hours ago, zandr said:

I'm seeing the same thing on 4.4 and 4.5. Emby Server does not start automatically. Latest start of 4.5.0.13 (which was manual, after giving it a couple of hours to start on its own) attached.

See @luke 's posts. It works well for me on my Shield.

8 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

See @luke 's posts. It works well for me on my Shield.

Luke's posts where he also says "works for me"? "duplicate" indeed.

Here's a thing: It doesn't work for me. 'Run server at startup' is set. I've unset and reset is a couple of times. No luck.

Any troubleshooting advice, or should I simply take solace in the fact that it works for you and @Luke, and that's all that matters?

Gilgamesh_48
6 minutes ago, zandr said:

Luke's posts where he also says "works for me"? "duplicate" indeed.

Here's a thing: It doesn't work for me. 'Run server at startup' is set. I've unset and reset is a couple of times. No luck.

Any troubleshooting advice, or should I simply take solace in the fact that it works for you and @Luke, and that's all that matters?

If you have that box checked and the server does not start when your shield starts then I believe you have a problem in your Shield's hardware/software. I cannot think at all what that might be. I have had different inexplicable problems and I could not find the problem in any settings anywhere on my Shield. The way I finally fixed it was the extreme measure of factory resetting my Shield. I actually had to do that twice within a few days for one problem until I searched on the web and finally found that there was a problem with one of the default apps (Plex) that loads during setup and all I had to do was disable Plex after reset and before installing anything else. Once I did that everything worked fine. I even tested and I could enable Plex after getting everything else setup. I never actually made the Plex server active on my Shield but something it was doing was screwing things up.

I am NOT saying that the same fix will work for you but a factory reset seems to be the only real possibility for a fix.

Emby's server on the Shield is quite persnickety but does work pretty good. I have had other problems with it failing to be recognized after the Shield sleeps for just about any reason. (I wish I could figure out how to disable all forms of sleeping or screen savers on the Shield but that does not seem to be an option.)

I use my Shield as a backup server as I do not find Emby stable or reliable enough on the Shield for regular use. On the Shield I have found the release version of the Emby server much better than the beta.

I am even considering moving things around a bit and having my backup Emby server of a computer and using the Shield to keep a presence in the Plex universe. I do not really like to burn my bridges behind me.

Two Emby servers and one Plex server seems a pretty good idea for me. I almost never use Plex but I fee somehow more secure with an option to move back to Plex if everything somehow goes into the toilet.

The shield is a great platform but it is somewhat sensitive to settings and the order things load. It is the electronic definition of "Chaos Theory." It is a complex system that is very sensitive to initial conditions.

Thanks for following up. The Shield is a science project, I'm looking for inexpensive transcoding to support mobile users (and the TV in the garage). As such, a full reset isn't a problem, so I'll try a factory reset, disable Plex, install Emby and go from there.

(And trying Plex Server on it might answer my transcoding questions from the other thread... worth a shot.) The server is really quite snappy on the Shield, auto-start and HW transcoding performance are the sticking points right now.

• 4 months later...
nmayrath

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find the "Run Server at Startup" checkbox...  I've connected to the Emby Server (v4.5.2.0) running on my Shield TV via Chrome, Emby app on Shield TV, and Emby app on android tablet.  All I see under Settings is: 

Preferred display language:

Cache path:

Custom css:

What am I missing?  

Thanks in advance!