Intermediate router between server and client

peehay
Go to solution Solved by darkassassin07,

peehay

Hi guys,

If anyone can help me find a solution it would be wonderful.
Accessing my domestic Emby server on my TV worked well until I changed my configuration for practical reasons. My new setup is like this :

- TV wired to the router A provided by my ISP. Router A is directly plugged into the wall to receive fiber network
- Router B (
this one I once bought for wifi expanding) wired to router A
- PC server wired to router B.

So my guess is that the PC server is not on the same LAN as the TV. How can I setup router B so that my TV can "see" the good IP address and port ?

I don't have a very good knowledge in networks.

Thanks a lot :)

Lhreaper

Hi guys,

If anyone can help me find a solution it would be wonderful.

Accessing my domestic Emby server on my TV worked well until I changed my configuration for practical reasons. My new setup is like this :

- TV wired to the router A provided by my ISP. Router A is directly plugged into the wall to receive fiber network

- Router B (this one I once bought for wifi expanding) wired to router A

- PC server wired to router B.

So my guess is that the PC server is not on the same LAN as the TV. How can I setup router B so that my TV can "see" the good IP address and port ?

I don't have a very good knowledge in networks.

Thanks a lot :)

Simple answer, Use emby connect to login on your tv. I'm sure there is a better fix but that should work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edited by Lhreaper
  • Like 1

Q-Droid

AP is an Access Point. You have 2 LANs. B can see A but A can't see B. Are you using router B for wifi access? If you don't need wifi from B and don't need 2 LANs then get something like an 8 port gigabit switch to replace B and you're done. Router B is only 100mbit so that LAN is slower.

Setting up router B as an AP will retain wifi on it and remove the B LAN so you'd only have the A LAN for all devices.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

peehay

I didn't setup router B for WiFi access. Actually I just use it as a switch, wired into router A via PLC in another room. From the I have several devices wired to router B.

I would prefer not to buy a switch, if I can resolve my problem with that router.

So if I setup router B as an AP, a device connected to that wifi would see A LAN?

But what if I want a device on A LAN to see a device wired (not connected via WiFi) to router B?

I can clearly see that router B provide an alternative IP than router A with ipconfig.

Thanks for you time

• Solution
darkassassin07

If you're essentially just using router B as a switch, you should be able to set it up in 'Bridge' mode. That disables the NAT functions and makes it act as just a switch allowing router A to hand out the IP addresses for all lan devices.

Then everything connected to either A or B should see each other.

• Like 1

Q-Droid

If you setup router B as an AP it would become part of LAN A, the only LAN left going forward.

Switches are cheap and 100mbit is rather slow but if you don't want to buy and don't care about wifi on B you can setup as an AP, disable wireless and disable DHCP server on B. The it should work as a switch on LAN A.

• Like 1

peehay

Finally made it work!

Thank you both of you. I found how to enable bridge mode with my router. I actually lacked the terms I needed so your answers were useful.

Have a nice day :)