Managing eBooks

kkhan

kkhan

Advice would be welcome as to how best to manage ebooks as I am finally moving my ebook collection of technical manuals to MBS.

I have tried Calibre to manage metadata and it works well though is a bit slow.  The two main drawbacks are:

1. It cannot create a custom directory structure; everything is \Author\Book Title\book.epub etc

2. It creates tags which are read by MBS but not genre metadata which is much more useful.

What tools is the community using?  What are the best practises.

Thanks.

shaefurr

Best thing out there for ebooks in my opinion is calibre. With the regular structure you'll notice each book wont have a cover unless you rename the covers to folder.jpg, and the author folders will not have any images either since calibre doesnt get author images. I made a quick .bat for renaming the covers/metadata, and moving a book cover up into the author folder so they would have images as well. You can get it here if you choose to go that route. http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2239-ebook-bot-rename-covers-metadata-inherit-covers/?hl=%2Bebook+%2Bbot

Here's how it ends up looking in MBT going from a root folder down to a book using this method.

53b68307ec08c_ebook1.jpg53b68311ae592_ebook2.jpg

53b6831ac2332_ebook3.jpg53b683229b6d5_ebook4.jpg

I dont really use genres so I havnt tried to get that to work, but ill play with calibre tomorrow and see if there is a workaround.

• Like 1

shaefurr

Also, I believe that while you cant change the default structure of calibre, I think you can still send/save books to another folder using a custom template (genre/author/series) etc. to get the structure youre looking for. Havnt used it in a while so ill have to check.

CWNashvegas

Also, I believe that while you cant change the default structure of calibre, I think you can still send/save books to another folder using a custom template (genre/author/series) etc. to get the structure youre looking for. Havnt used it in a while so ill have to check.

Yes, the Save to Disk feature can still be fully customized to save in your desired structure with the use of custom templates. You can also assign metadata plugboards to the Save to Disk operation for additional control.