Emby not retrieving Specials Metadata from TheTVDB

japzone
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

japzone

I've been trying all day to get Emby to download the metadata for a specific show from TheTVDB, but parts of it aren't coming through, especially the Specials. I've tried multiple times, wiping the nfo files, double checking the filenames, using the Identify tool, etc, none of it has helped. The show is Mai-Otome. I've tried other shows and they seem to be working fine. I dug through the log and found these two errors:

2020-04-15 21:25:01.811 Error App: Error in TheTVDB
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.4.2.0
    Command line: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///C:/Users/johndoe/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.3
    Processor count: 8
    Program data path: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.Xml.XmlException: System.Xml.XmlException: The '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00, cannot be included in a name. Line 1, position 4097.
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementAsync_NoAttributes()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContentAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.SkipAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.SkipAsync()
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.GetFirstAiredDateFromEpisodeNode(XmlReader reader, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.FetchSeriesInfo(MetadataResult`1 result, String seriesXmlPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.FetchSeriesData(MetadataResult`1 result, String seriesDataPath, String metadataLanguage, Dictionary`2 seriesProviderIds, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.GetMetadata(SeriesInfo searchInfo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.ExecuteRemoteProviders(MetadataResult`1 temp, String logName, TIdType id, IEnumerable`1 providers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.Xml
    TargetSite: Void Throw(System.Exception)

2020-04-15 21:25:37.752 Error App: Error in TheTVDB
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.4.2.0
    Command line: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///C:/Users/johndoe/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.3
    Processor count: 8
    Program data path: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.Xml.XmlException: System.Xml.XmlException: The '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00, cannot be included in a name. Line 1, position 4097.
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementAsync_NoAttributes()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContentAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.SkipAsync()
       at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.SkipAsync()
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.GetFirstAiredDateFromEpisodeNode(XmlReader reader, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.FetchSeriesInfo(MetadataResult`1 result, String seriesXmlPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.FetchSeriesData(MetadataResult`1 result, String seriesDataPath, String metadataLanguage, Dictionary`2 seriesProviderIds, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Tvdb.TvdbSeriesProvider.GetMetadata(SeriesInfo searchInfo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.ExecuteRemoteProviders(MetadataResult`1 temp, String logName, TIdType id, IEnumerable`1 providers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.Xml
    TargetSite: Void Throw(System.Exception)

Attached is my full log. What I did was

• I just manually updated to v4.4.2
  • booted the server
  • deleted the *.nfo files for my show and added an .ignore file
  • scanned my library in order to wipe the show from my database
  • deleted the .ignore file and scanned my library again
  • Show appears in my library, but again chunks of the metadata are missing

Any ideas?

embyserver.zip

Edited by japzone

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Is this error from the AliasNames?  Search xml results from log.

2020-04-15 21:25:01.622 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Mai-Otome&language=en

<Data>
<Series>
<seriesid>78986</seriesid>
<language>en</language>
<SeriesName>Mai-Otome</SeriesName>
<banner>/banners/graphical/78986-g.jpg</banner>
<Overview>
Adapted from its predecessor Mai-HiME, this series is not a direct sequel, but an alternate universe setting, featuring some of the Mai-HiME cast (though with different personalities). Arika Yumemiya is a poor yet energetic girl who has come to the city to become an Otome – a female warrior with the power to match an entire army. She quickly befriends her irritable fellow student Nina Wong and Princess Mashiro, the queen-to-be. With the help of her mysterious benefactor and abundant natural talent, she’s able to overcome the trials of everyday life in the competitive Garderobe Academy, but darker schemes are afoot. How will her new friendships fare, when secrets of the past and present are brought forth to spark a fight for the crown, and more?
</Overview>
<FirstAired>2005-8-15</FirstAired>
<IMDB_ID/>
<zap2it_id/>
<AliasNames>
|Mai Otome|My-Otome|My-Otome 0~S.ifr~|My-Otome Zwei|My-Z-Hime: My-Otome|
</AliasNames>
<id>78986</id>
</Series>
<Series>
<seriesid>294285</seriesid>
<language>en</language>
<SeriesName>Mai Otome</SeriesName>
<banner/>
<Overview/>
<FirstAired/>
<IMDB_ID/>
<zap2it_id/>
<AliasNames/>
<id>294285</id>
</Series>
</Data>

But the error in "Line 1, position 4097" does not seem to correspond.

pwhodges

What metadata is missing?  My copy of Mai-Otome has what I'd expect.  A few episodes have no image, but TVDB has none for this show, so the ones that are present have been found from other sources anyway (automatically, not by me).  I don't use the Anime plugin to extend the range of sources.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

japzone

What metadata is missing?  My copy of Mai-Otome has what I'd expect.  A few episodes have no image, but TVDB has none for this show, so the ones that are present have been found from other sources anyway (automatically, not by me).  I don't use the Anime plugin to extend the range of sources.

Paul

Literally none of the titles or descriptions for any of the specials listed in TheTVDB, and now that I double checked, seems some of the episodes are missing titles and descriptions now after my latest attempt as well.

Episode images have never been important for me as the random extracted ones are usually good enough.

• Solution

Can you wipe out the tvdb cache folder and try refreshing the metadata again? i tested and did not see the error in my log so i wonder if the tvdb data has changed and it's resolved now.

• Like 1

japzone

Can you wipe out the tvdb cache folder and try refreshing the metadata again? i tested and did not see the error in my log so i wonder if the tvdb data has changed and it's resolved now.

Thank you! This fixed it. Just had to go to '%APPDATA%\Emby-Server\programdata\cache' and I renamed 'tvdb' to 'old-tvdb'(just to be safe), deleted my *.nfo files again, and rescanned my library. Wish this solution had been more obvious, but glad it's sorted now.

For any future interests, I've attached my old tvdb folder if you're interested in investigating why it was giving me issues.

old-tvdb.zip

Edited by japzone

Happy2Play

All you need to delete was the Series id folder from within the TVDB folder, but Emby will just repopulate everything.