Just pondering some questions about metadata

gene0915

gene0915

@@cayars

In my main settings for Emby, under Library/Advanced, I have a metadata path set up that points to a spare SSD. I created a test 'movies' folder and placed a movie in there and  checked the box for "...metadata saver to .nfo" and also checked the box to save artwork into this folder.

First (maybe dumb) question is, when Emby scanned that test folder and saw the movie in there, why wasn't the artwork save into that folder?

But now onto the main point of my post; with Plex, whenever I would hop to a new distro, I would follow the instructions for backing up all the necessary files and moving everything to a new Linux install. I would never back up my cache or metadata since it seemed to just take hours and hours vs. just letting my new Plex install rebuild everything from scratch. The problem with this approach however was that in my movie library, I would always have to manually fix metadata on dozens of movies due to mismatches.

I think the metadata manager in Emby is 100x better than Plex. BUT, for  movies like 'Wonder', Emby wants to identify it as 'Wonder Woman' and I'll need to manually intervene and fix it, which I'm totally fine with, BUT.... once I get all my movies fixed in Emby, how do I make sure those metadata corrections are backed up in case I ever have to load Emby on a new box? I was reading the guide for backing up the server and see that backing up metadata is not a feature of the 'Server Configuration Backup' plugin. Then I see this sentence in that guide: This will not backup library contents and metadata. To keep a permanent copy of metadata, we suggest enabling saving of local metadata to media folders.

....... and I think this is what I'm after, correct? Unfortunately, I don't see that exact wording anywhere. I found this thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73693-how-do-i-save-local-metadata-to-media-folders/  .... and it looks like 'save artwork into media folders' is the new equivalent to 'saving of local metadata to media folders', right?

Which finally brings me to my last question............ in the admin dashboard, on the 'Nfo metadata' tab, I see "Save user watch data to nfo's for"..... and you can select a user. How can you tell Emby to record ALL users' watch data to an nfo file?

Hope I articulated my question(s) correctly. :)

Check the library where you placed the movie and see if the NFO is in the same place as the movie.  Emby has to have write access to this directory for it to work.

Yes you pretty much have it figured out.  Use the NFO option and save the artwork and graphics to the local directories holding the movies.  This keeps them all together, nice and tidy!

Watch data can only be saved for one user to the NFO so normally that would be your main user or admin account.

To save this type of information you should check out the Trakt plugin which is great for this.

gene0915

Check the library where you placed the movie and see if the NFO is in the same place as the movie.  Emby has to have write access to this directory for it to work.

Yes you pretty much have it figured out.  Use the NFO option and save the artwork and graphics to the local directories holding the movies.  This keeps them all together, nice and tidy!

Watch data can only be saved for one user to the NFO so normally that would be your main user or admin account.

To save this type of information you should check out the Trakt plugin which is great for this.

Duh, I think you hit the nail on the head. Emby, like Plex, doesn't have write access to my library. I'm always paranoid of somebody hacking into my Plex/Emby account and deleting my media. Also, with that one bug where Emby would delete your ENTIRE library if certain conditions were met....., I sleep better knowing that neither media player has write access but I guess that would explain why Emby couldn't create the nfo file and download the cover art into my test movie folder.

As for Trakt.... if I blow away my setup, can Emby PULL in watched status from Trakt? I thought it was like Plex.... 1-way.... from the server to Trakt?

So if I give Emby write access into my library, all the manual edits I do with the metadata manager will be saved into the individual media folders, right? Still leery about handing out the write access.............

Do you need to be able to delete?  I for example never delete from my movies and tv show libraries but DO for things I record.  So only the one library allows delete.

If you follow the naming convention of one movie per directory and one season per directory you won't have an issue.  Emby DOES prompt you with what it's going to delete that you have to approve.  It's people who put everything in the "root" that run into a problem.  If you put multiple movies in the same directory and delete one, well you delete them all.

Trakt can be setup one way or both ways in the config.

Yes to your last question.  With NFO & saving images locally to the media folder they will be there.  Wipe Emby completely and reinstall it and it will use your local info during the rebuild.