Emby updates (Docker)

vellev
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

vellev

Hi all

I am running Emby as a docker image and it is running great. My problem comes when I do the updates.

For the update, I use watchtower which picks up the updated image, if newer version exists and installs it.

However, after the update, Emby starts with the wizard and does not use previous configuration, so all the metadata is recreated (which means all previous users, collections, etc. is lost).

Currently, to resolve the issue, on the host I do something like this after the update:

docker stop emby

cd /var/lib/docker/volumes

rm -fr newvolumefoldername/_data

cp -R oldvolumefoldername/_data newvolumefoldername/_data

docker start emby

so, when I go back to Emby, old configuration is used.

But I am sure there must be a better way to do the updates and I am afraid if there are any changes in the db or config schemas, they will not be applied with the process I am doing.

Can somebody please help? How are you doing Emby docker updates?

Thanks,

Vel

Is watchtower clearing the contents of a data folder? To be honest i vaguely recall something like this reported before.

vellev

Is watchtower clearing the contents of a data folder? To be honest i vaguely recall something like this reported before.

No, it does not. But after the update, there is a new folder created in /var/lib/docker/volumes

So, on a fresh debian install, after emby docker runs for the first time, it looks like this:

/var/lib/docker/volumes/ccb43c44caf054b3b3bf3cfa9f9ac6266fd01f1c2c6fbfe026f36ff0bac85c80

and after watchtower updates docker image and docker restarts:

/var/lib/docker/volumes/ccb43c44caf054b3b3bf3cfa9f9ac6266fd01f1c2c6fbfe026f36ff0bac85c80

/var/lib/docker/volumes/867b854026113114ae9d8b7f2975e13e878c06554679879b47790118cac7e51a

As I mentioned, I copy the content of ccb43... to 867b8... so Emby reads previous configuration, but I am afraid that if there is a change that modifies db schema or new setting in config files it will not be updated.
Thanks

• Solution

Can you try this without watchtower because that might be creating variables here that we're not aware of.

Obviously as you can see this isn't a widespread problem in the community for those who use the standard docker update mechanisms. Thanks.

• Like 1