TUTORIAL: How to Display Movie Extras When Using Emby for Kodi

osak00006

osak00006

Hi Guys,

It took me a while to figure this out for myself and there are tons of threads stating that it's not possible, so I wanted to post this very, very easy solution to display Movie Extras within Kodi, while also using Emby for Kodi as your backend.

1. Setup your Emby library in Kodi using Direct Play (this doesn't currently work with playback via Add-On)

2. Install the following Official Kodi Add On: https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Extras

3. Add a subfolder to your movie directory called Extras... IE /path/to/movies/moviename/extras

4. Locate the movie within Kodi and then, using the Context Menu, click on Extras which will bring up a list of all your movie Extras

- If you prefer to change the name of the directory that the addon looks for, IE from Extras to "Bonus Features" you can do that from within the Add On

The Extras then display within the Movie Info screen of Kodi. I don't believe you can use NFO files to customize the content, but the video files themselves all show

Edited by osak00006
  • Like 1

Red5ive

That is indeed great news and will look to test it our for myself, I already have all my extras in a extras folder within each films folder.

I was nagging @@sualfred to try and add this to embuary as a dedicated strip but if this works that saves him a job ;-)

Red5ive

Installed the add-on and get the context menu but am only taken to a screen with 'search with youtube', no list of the extras.

Tried updating libraries. I'm using the emby for kodi and embuary skins.

osak00006

That's what you'd see if it doesn't find them...

1. Example folder structure?

2. Did you confirm your folder name matches what add-on is expecting?

3. Are you using direct play or add-on for Emby for Kodi setting?

Red5ive

Folder structure: E:\Movies\Back To The Future (1985)\extras

Folder name in add-on was Extras, changed to lowercase extras but no change.

Using add-on in E4K settings.

Red5ive

Sorry, meant using add-on as the setting in Emby 4 Kodi.

I could try changing it to direct play but dont want to break anything else. (Not really sure what the main differences between the two are.

instantsunrise

I’ve tested this addon in conjunction emby, and it only works when the Emby plugin is set to Native (Direct Paths) mode. If it’s set to Add-on mode, it doesn’t work.

Which is unfortunate because being able to select between different versions of the same movie only works in the Add-on mode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
idhToronto

HI

I would like to install this add-on however it doesn't show up in my list of video add-ons to install.

Ian

osak00006

HI

I would like to install this add-on however it doesn't show up in my list of video add-ons to install.

Ian

Where are you looking? This is a Kodi Official Add-On. It is NOT an Emby Add-On. 

You should be able to install it from within Kodi by following the steps below:

1 Installing

To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on manager from within Kodi by going to

1. The home screen
  2. Add-ons
  3. Download
  4. Context Menu 
  5. Extras
  6. Install
Edited by osak00006

idhToronto

I am following the exact instructions you have listed. I did a search for Extras in the add-ons and it is located under Add-ons/Context menus and is called Extras - takoi 1.3.0 - is this the correct one?

osak00006

I am following the exact instructions you have listed. I did a search for Extras in the add-ons and it is located under Add-ons/Context menus and is called Extras - takoi 1.3.0 - is this the correct one?

That sounds right, as you access it via the Context Menu

idhToronto

Thanks. I have been able to install and I do have folders called "Extras"  - When you refer to the "Context Menu" is that the "Info screen" - If so I do not see anywhere to select Extras?

Thanks

Ian

osak00006

Thanks. I have been able to install and I do have folders called "Extras"  - When you refer to the "Context Menu" is that the "Info screen" - If so I do not see anywhere to select Extras?

Thanks

Ian

The keyboard letter "C" will access the Context Menu in Kodi. It is not the same as the Info Screen. Near the bottom of the list, assuming you are within movies and have a movie selected that has Extras, will be a menu item called "Extras"

idhToronto

Thanks. That helped me to understand it. I have the same issue as the previous user where the playback is the Emby for Kodi Add-on and not Direct Path. I am not prepared to reset my databaase yet so will wait until another time.

Thanks