Emby 4.4.2.0 eating lot of CPU

ordnael

ordnael

Hi , 

I was a PLEX user and I tried to start using EMBY. I even bought the APP for iOS and i like it a lot. 

Unfortunately I noticed that the EMBY respect to PLEX is eating lot of CPU and RAM. 

I have installed it on a QNAP TS-251A with 4GB RAM

The CPU consumpion is very high even if I don't use emby , this is quite strange.

Any help / suggestion is appreciated

Thanks a lot

Leandro

dbrewood

It's a known issue (from what I can gather). The devs are aware and are looking to resolve it ASAP.

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened? Thanks.

@@Luke Did the log I attached the other day help at all?

Your topic is about memory and Synology. This is about QNAP, completely unrelated. We'll help you in your topic. Thanks.

ordnael

Hi , 

please find attached the Emby Server embyserver.txt log.

I tried to restart couple of times and now looks better...but still more CPU usage respect to PLEX server.

Thanks for your help

Leandro

ordnael

sorry , here the log. 

one more question: the browsing of foto is very very slow via BROWSER / PC while is quite good with emby app installed on iphone.

Leandro

embyserver.txt

• 5 weeks later...

sorry , here the log. 

one more question: the browsing of foto is very very slow via BROWSER / PC while is quite good with emby app installed on iphone.

Leandro

@@ordnael, are you sure this is the log from when you browsed photos? There's not a lot of activity here. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
scotthews

I'd like to add to this as I've also moved from Plex to Emby on QNAP, but starting to consider I may have to move back as like Leandro, I was really happy moving over to Emby and on the whole much prefer the software.  However likewise my issue is that every two or three days, my QNAP becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot it.  It appears Emby does have some form of memory leak that's killing my NAS.

I'd like to add to this as I've also moved from Plex to Emby on QNAP, but starting to consider I may have to move back as like Leandro, I was really happy moving over to Emby and on the whole much prefer the software.  However likewise my issue is that every two or three days, my QNAP becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot it.  It appears Emby does have some form of memory leak that's killing my NAS.

Hi there @@scotthews can you please attach the emby server log? You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
scotthews
On 5/27/2020 at 3:45 AM, Luke said:

Hi there @@scotthews can you please attach the emby server log? You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

Hi Luke,

Apologies I've not come back sooner only I decided to give Plex another go as Emby simply kept causing my QNAP box to run out of memory and the only way back in was a hard reset on the QNAP device.  I do prefer Emby over Plex, so I did decide to give Emby another test recently with the v4.5.0.15 (beta) to see if any fixes had been made, but my QNAP memory was totally consumed by Emby in a day or so.   I've just installed the latest v4.5.0.16 and will wait to see what happens over the next few days and if it kills my QNAP again will try to get a log file and attach.  I have attached the current log file although I doubt that will help you too much as assume it gets cleared after an upgrade. Q. I've seen others report this and it doesn't seem to have been resolved.  Has any fixes related to this issue been implemented?

embyserver.txt

On 8/5/2020 at 1:22 AM, scotthews said:

Hi Luke,

Apologies I've not come back sooner only I decided to give Plex another go as Emby simply kept causing my QNAP box to run out of memory and the only way back in was a hard reset on the QNAP device.  I do prefer Emby over Plex, so I did decide to give Emby another test recently with the v4.5.0.15 (beta) to see if any fixes had been made, but my QNAP memory was totally consumed by Emby in a day or so.   I've just installed the latest v4.5.0.16 and will wait to see what happens over the next few days and if it kills my QNAP again will try to get a log file and attach.  I have attached the current log file although I doubt that will help you too much as assume it gets cleared after an upgrade. Q. I've seen others report this and it doesn't seem to have been resolved.  Has any fixes related to this issue been implemented?

embyserver.txt 440.75 kB · 0 downloads

As a test, if you remove the dlna and port mapper plugins, and then restart the server, does that have an impact?

scotthews
8 hours ago, Luke said:

As a test, if you remove the dlna and port mapper plugins, and then restart the server, does that have an impact?

OK - I've removed those plugins and will test and see.  As it happens, the QNAP hasn't suffered this week as of yet which makes me wonder if it could have anything to do with external access, as I've been working at home all this week and quite often when I'm it the office, connecting remotely, I may play music or watch a recording at lunch etc.  Also, I didn't have to reboot it when I was working at home during lock down and have had to reboot it a lot since being back in the office. Just a thought...

• 4 weeks later...
scotthews

Hi Luke,  honestly I'm not sure.  The QNAP hasn't crashed in the same way so maybe an improvement, but equally I haven't been using it as much as previously.  I'm also wondering if the problem might have something to do with external users as I disabled all external access and although I can't be entirely sure, It may have been that the problem kicked in when one of the external users watched something.  My daughter always seemed to have issues with watching movies remotely and gave up.  I will re-enable them and ask them to watch something to see if the problem re-appears.

scotthews

HI Luke,

Unfortunately no good as QNAP ran out of memory again this weekend.  First thing I've now noticed which is consistent is that the QNAP disks are just permanently active with continuous disk activity.  I then start to get QNAP notification emails about things not working which is probably related to the QNAP now being out of memory.  When I try to access the QNAP is takes forever to do anything / load pages etc and when I finally get in (say 10 mins) the QBoost App tells me there's no memory left.  The only things that's running is the Emby server and if I try to stop it, it just says stopping and doesn't seem to stop.  The only way to resolve the problem is reboot the QNAP.

I've included the various logs prior to the reboot (see below).

Am about to upgrade from 4.5.0.16 beta to 4.5.0.23 but not expecting any change as this issue has existed for some time now.

Thanks,

Scott

embyserver-63734860827.txt embyserver-63734947547.txt embyserver-63735034260.txt embyserver-63735071392.txt

• 4 weeks later...
scotthews

Hi Luke,  Unfortunately the same problem exists.  I've been out of the office for two weeks and come back to a completely unresponsive QNAP box.  Had to hard reboot to get back into it.  I'm now disabling Emby and re-enabling Plex for the next few weeks to double check I get no issues.  I am disappointed as I much prefer Emby to Plex, but don't see any option as the problem has now existed for a long time and doesn't seem to be getting and better.  Clearly I will let you know the outcome and if of course you have anything else to try I'm happy to review.