Subtitles not showing in Chrome, OK in iOS app

sjefsbamsemumsen
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

sjefsbamsemumsen
Hi,

I am running Emby (4.4.2.0-1) on my Synology NAS. It's an older NAS so transcoding is not an option. All my media files are MKV's based on full quality Bluray rips but video and audio has been re-coded to save space. Subtitles are kept as on the original disk. 

When playing back on the iOS app, subtitles are displayed as expected (and selected). When using the web client (for Windows or Android) I can select the subtitles but they are not shown. I am using the latest Chrome version (81) on Windows. 

Kind regards

Kenneth

sjefsbamsemumsen

I assume you are missing the server logs. Please see the attached file.

I turned on debug logging and tried to play a random movie (Le Mans '66.mkv) with subtitles turned on using Chrome 81 for Windows 10.

Hope this helps!

/Kenneth

emby log.txt

Hi there, can you please attach the complete emby server log, rather than just a snippet? thanks.

sjefsbamsemumsen

Sorry for just including part of the log. I read the statement "Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred" and thought you only wanted logs from the timeframe I was specifically testing and not the whole thing.

Have tested again today with debug logging enabled. Complete log for today attached.

Kind regards

Kenneth

Edit: Forgot to attach the log file...

emby log.txt

Edited by sjefsbamsemumsen

sjefsbamsemumsen

Turning on transcoding will get the subtitles back in Chrome, but playback will only run for a second, then there is a pause of a few seconds due to transcoding. CPU usage on NAS (Synology DS1812) is 100%. This NAS does not have the power to transcode AFAIK.

If I were to batch convert my media to a more Chrome friendly format, is that possible, or will this have to be done on the fly depending on what subtitles / audio track is selected?

/Kenneth

• Solution

Turning on transcoding will get the subtitles back in Chrome, but playback will only run for a second, then there is a pause of a few seconds due to transcoding. CPU usage on NAS (Synology DS1812) is 100%. This NAS does not have the power to transcode AFAIK.

Then you have to choose between these options:

• Play with an Emby app that can direct play the subtitles without transcoding, such as Android, iOS, etc
  • Disable subtitles
  • Acquire external srt subtitles instead, our subtitle download features can help with that.
  • Like 1