Emby server using a lot of memory

dbrewood

dbrewood

Hi guys a bit of advise needed here. I've just set up Emby on my Synology DS918+ NAS. Everything seems to be working fine apart from the memory usage. Emby is taking up between 615 Mb and 1.3Gb of RAM. This seems excessive and is an area of concern. 

Any tips on how to resolve the problem.

A NAS newbie of 14 days so any tips appreciated.

Dibbes

Hi guys a bit of advise needed here. I've just set up Emby on my Synology DS918+ NAS. Everything seems to be working fine apart from the memory usage. Emby is taking up between 615 Mb and 1.3Gb of RAM. This seems excessive and is an area of concern. 

Any tips on how to resolve the problem.

A NAS newbie of 14 days so any tips appreciated.

is it doing a library scan or anything else at this time? Also, the size of your library and the plugins you have installed, factor in...

Edited by Dibbes

dbrewood

is it doing a library scan or anything else at this time? Also, the size of your library and the plugins you have installed, factor in...

Hi, nope nothing special at all, all scanning has been completed, plugins are all default. We've taking about 71 movies and 409 TV shows. Plex handles the same with only 97 Mb of memory used.

Dibbes

For comparison, my 1513+ uses only 300meg of memory with a lot more items. Check what it uses when you restart the server...

@@Luke anything else we can look at?

Edited by Dibbes

dbrewood

If I restart the server it drops to around 80 Mb. it's been running for 2 hours and it has climbed to 1006Mb....

Got the same problem here.I use xpenology and cpu is J1900 with 4GB RAM.Emby server is 4.4.2.0-1.
Restart server it takes 140MB and after a watch usage goes up to 600MB.When i close all clients the ram doesn't seem to be released.
DSM shows that the mono-sgen activity takes most of the usage.
Thanks for all helpful tips.

@@Tomxu

dbrewood

Strangely enough after leaving the server alone overnight when checking this morning the RAM being used has dropped to 58 Mb. I'll continue to monitor.

I use xpenology and cpu is J1900 with 4GB RAM.Emby server is 4.4.2.0-1.

Restart server it takes 140MB and after a watch usage goes up to 600MB.When i close all clients the ram doesn't seem to be released.

DSM shows that the mono-sgen activity takes most of the usage.

First photo below shows that Plex takes 100MB while emby takes 600MB.Both doesnts connect to clients and play movie

Thanks for all helpful tips.

hardware_detection-63722295951.txt

embyserver.txt

post-626187-0-98121000-1586677333_thumb.jpg

post-626187-0-90090800-1586677354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tomxu

dbrewood

@@Luke this is the second post I'm reading about this...

Indeed the other post is mine I think here. I've been uninstalling Plugins and turning off things like: cinema intros, NFO metadata (still no real idea what this does), all aspects of DLNA. So far it's made no difference at all unfortunately.

Yesterday:

post-626366-0-66954800-1586702189_thumb.png

Toay:

post-626366-0-78983600-1586702229_thumb.png

Edited by dbrewood

If you don't use the features you could remove the Dlna and Port mapper plugins, then restart the server and see if that helps.

dbrewood

If you don't use the features you could remove the Dlna and Port mapper plugins, then restart the server and see if that helps.

Thanks for that. I've now removed the following plugins:

• ISO Mounter

• Dvd Folder Support

• Open Subtitles

• TheAudioDb

• MusicBrainz

• Fanart.tv

• Webhooks

• DLNA

• Port Mapper

Restarting Emby from the web portal didn't make any difference. So I stopped the package from the Package Center within DSM on the NAS and it's still using more memory than anything else on the NAS.

As you can see.....

post-626366-0-97947400-1586707444_thumb.png

dbrewood

I've just searched the web on this and I'm seeing quite a lot of references to mono-sgen taking up a lot of memory resource and not clearing it down again. 

@@Luke and @@Dibbes is this a known issue at all?

OK, please keep in mind, this is a temporary problem that we're looking into. The 4.4 release on Synology has gone back to using the mono runtime instead of .NET Core. We're working on getting .NET Core restored and that should take care of this. 

dbrewood

@@Luke thanks for that. I'm a newbie to the world of NAS's (14 days) and even newer to Emby (2 days) although I've been an IT admin for 20+ years :)

The position I'm in is that I'm looking to choose Plex (Plex Pass in trial - 25 days left) or Emby for a media server on the NAS. So far I'm preferring Emby but this memory usage is concerning when it really spikes up.

Is there a rough ETA as to when you think you'll be going back to using .NET Core to resolve the issue? I'm trying to work out where I will be standing on my testing / trial regimens.

Thanks for the reply.

dbrewood

@@Luke not a problem and if you need any testers at all...... :) More than willing to help as long as it does not screw up the NAS :)

dbrewood

That is good news indeed. I've had a brief look at the thread but can't see how to install the beta package (or am I missing the obvious)?

[EDIT] Ah I was missing the obvious. PM now set concerning joining the test team.

Edited by dbrewood

dbrewood

Thanks for that. I'll think a while as to whether I do want to go beta. Are beta releases reasonably stable or is it a real fly by the seat of your pants experience?

FrostByte

Thanks for that. I'll think a while as to whether I do want to go beta. Are beta releases reasonably stable or is it a real fly by the seat of your pants experience?

Been running betas for over a year and they seem to be fairly smooth.  For Synology they are normally a couple days behind the other platforms so if you monitor the beta sections of the forum you can decide and update manually when ready.  The downside of that is if there is a problem then you may be a couple days behind getting the fix too.  But so far nothing bad has happened.

Anyhow, .NET core isn't ready yet so you don't have to decide anything yet as I don't think anything in the current beta will help your issue now