Connection failure issue

asa504

asa504

Hi,

So I've finally been able to add the Emby link into my Asustor portal (as solved in this discussion https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73247-how-to-add-emby-on-asustor-portal/) and have been able to open the setup page on my Hisense TV via a HDMI link to my Asustor 6204T nas.

I can log in and commence setup but when i go to add my server i keep getting a connection failure message.

I've checked the connection help page, added port forwarding to my nas and router, ensured my anti-virus (avast) has exceptions for Emby (actually added my entire nas folder / drive address). Restarted multiple times (emby, nas, router and computer) but still getting the error.

I checked if i can access the web server from the TV via the nas (ie http://192.168.1.3:8096)and that works, but i receive the failure when i try to add the server address as 192.168.1.3 or http://192.168.1.3 or https://192.168.1.3

I'm not sure what else i can try.

Hi, then why not just use the one that works, with the port?

You can't skip the port, that's not going to work

asa504

Hi, then why not just use the one that works, with the port?

You can't skip the port, that's not going to work

Hi Luke, sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "skip the port"?

The web interface requires me to have a keyboard and mouse connected on my nas in the living room. Not ideal but more importantly i want the ability to stream 4k movies form the nas direct to the TV. Using the web interface i believe it will be using my home network instead of the HDMI i have plugged in.

Forgive the pictures again. Below is inputting my host address and the response i receive. The third is me manually typing the same host and port number into a webpage on the nas and it working fine.

Why would one work and the other not?

5e92c172b28dd_Screen04.jpg

5e92c1fb862a9_Screen05.jpg

5e92c24d14a52_Webcheck01.jpg

asa504

correct Luke. The entire house is networked. a point to note on the Asustor 6204T (possibly other models), the nas runs dual ethernet cables. it has two connections to share the load. they both have a different address (192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4). Asustors interface ADM opens 192.168.1.3 as does Emby.

Maybe try simplifying that? It sounds like the tv just can't reach that ip address.

asa504

I've had more of a play around with some setting in the nas and discovered Link Aggregation (LAG), which is all new to me, but it has allowed the two LAN ports out the nas to act as one. I've assigned the same static IP address to it, which is confirmed in the setting in Emby as my In-Home (LAN) access.

Unfortunately still no luck with connecting when i enter this address.

The only other thought i've had which i don't know much about, is that I'm running a smart switch to link all the devices. Its a TP-Link SG1024DE. Is it possible the switch could be causing some blocking issues? It has a webUI but i got pretty lost. i will post something on the TP-Link forums to see if anyone has come across a similar issue there.

asa504

Can connect on my iphone. yes.

When I'm displaying the Dashboard page in Emby, should there be a green "connection help" button always present in the top box? Its just under the address's for LAN and remote.

Tried a few more settings. no luck yet.

asa504

I've just run an interesting test but i'm not sure what it means.

I don't have another smart TV to check the connection with but i have a laptop connected to my home network and internet via WiFi. I opened the app address https://app.emby.media which started the app connection page just like on the TV. I entered the same local address and had the same connection error. I then check the web access (https://local:8096), it opened no problems.

To confirm its not a NAS issue (where my original server is installed), I installed another Emby server on my desktop computer and attempted to connect to it on my laptop using the app address above. I got the same connection error however, on trying the web access it opened the new server no problems.

I momentarily disabled the router firewall and Avast anti-virus to see if that changed anything. Same connection error. I was thinking it could be the smart switch I have connecting everything but the laptop isn't running though it as its on WiFi and it got the same error.

Edited by asa504

• 2 weeks later...
Valleyboy1975

Hi mate, (I'm the that sent you a pm only just saw this post.)

Sorry to hijack I have exact same problem.

Cannot connect via HDMI direct to nas server!?

Emby is up and running on LG tv

It connects fine to nas over local lan via LG emby TV app (but I want the hdmi to work, reason why I bight it, no streaming)

The pc used to set the nas up has emby installed and can connect to the nas emby server via 192.168.1.88.

Ive tried every up address I can think of lol in the manual server settings in emby portal on the TV but still comes back with errors.

I have a simple setup, talktalk hub, no fancy routers, firewalls it's all stock.

Again sorry to hijack but sadly its the same problem

Can anyone on here confirm 100% they are connected via hdmi to emby on a nas? What server setting do you have?

Thank you!

asa504

All good Valleyboy. thanks for the advice.

I check for a PM but cant see it.

Apologies, there's going to be a few questions here and some large photos (not sure how to make thumbnails).

I Googled a TalkTalk Hub but it didn't really answer all my questions. Is it a router? And how have you used it in your set up?

And also from what i gather, your not using HDMI then?

I have done some more testing. I removed all my apps on my Asustor (portal, emby, X.org, Python, etc etc), restarted and reinstalled to see if there was any change.

The Emby app icon still never showed on Asustor Portal (which i think has something to do with my overall issue). This meant i had to add the URL-Pack-EU as one of the apps to display and access it on the TV.

After the initial series of installs, up to finishing Emby app install (prior to installing URL-Pack-EU), I did stumble on something strange. I had the TV on and Asustor page open via HDMI. i opened a webpage (i think it was chrome) and tried (for poops and giggles) to see if i could manually connect to the Emby server by entering "app.emby.media" into the address bar.

Emby did its normal start up, asking for my sign in, and then for me to add a server. I had read about several different host location names working (such as localhost, 192.168.1.X, MyServer, 0.0.0.0), so i tried "localhost", and wouldn't you know it, it worked and connected to Emby.

I instantly installed the URL-Pack-EU app so I could access Emby in Asustor Portal, but had the same connection error as previously. I cycled through all the knows version of hosts i know, all with the same error.

I did however note one observation.

When i connected to the app via the manual address entry, the website was considered not secure (first pic). When i tried to connect via the Portal app (remember this is added via the URL-Pack-EU, not during installation), the website is showing as secure (second pic).

The URL-Pack-EU need Firefox to be installed to allow for installation, but on opening Emby, it appears its in Chrome and not Firefox. Setting Firefox as default didn't change how it opens.

I think there's an issue on installation of Emby causing the connection error. I would be keen to know if anyone who has installed the URL-Pack-EU can connect to their Emby server via HDMI.

And is there anyway to find out if there's been an installation issue (something missing) when I'm not having Emby automatically being added to the Asustor Portal during installation?

I also noted (on the linked not secure site) that Emby appears to be open inside a browser. Is this normal? It looks like what it does when i open the server. (bottom pic)

Lastly, on test playing some movies it appears some of the sound is missing. Music was playing but no voices. Tested the movie on the computer and the file is fine. Any ideas?

5ea584fe2a063_HMDIUnsecure.jpg

5ea585602dc73_HDMISecure.jpg

5ea5851fb940f_HDMIUI.jpg

Valleyboy1975

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try and cover as much as I can below.

I am NOT using HDMI via emby, it is connected via HDMI via portal to the NAS, so the HDMI obviouskly works lol.

Firstly I cannot believe we are the only people who have had this issue!?

Just to recap... My install was totally fresh as in..

Setup NAS via my PC using ACC (Asustor Control Center)

Updated firemware to latest version

Installed emby server

Installed the URL-Pack-EU Emby package so it showed up in Portal on my TV

Copied about 40gb of movies over.

PC can connect to NAS fine through ACC

Emby installed on PC can connect to Emby server on NAS and play movies

My LG samrt TV has Emby app installed and can connec tto NAS emby server and play movies

My andorid phone has the apps and I can control the NAS

An IPAD has the apps and connects to NAS fine..

Have you tried Plex or any other Media Player (What is the out of the box Asusstor one - is there one?) Maybe if we try another app it will connect just to prove HDMI does work? - I had Plex on my PC as a server before but it always cause problems with movie pictures and importing, thats why I wanted emby as default player as slicker in that regard.

Thats why I went for Asustor, better spec for the money I had to spend AND the main thing I wanted HDMI 2.0

I have talktalk Fibre broadband with their super router, its a bog stand default fibre router, 4 x 100Meg ports.

The NAS is sat next to the fibre router, I've connected both network ports on the NAS to the router, the fancy link aggregation is not used as therouter cannot take it.

I'm not an expert but not a total newbie to computer 'stuff' but like you I think its something in the coding or setup of the emby portal app? Which is sad.

I might start a seperate thread and ask people what app they are using for mdia via HMDI?

let me know if ive missed anything

cheers again..we'll get there,

asa504

Thanks Valleyboy.

Its interesting to note that you also had to install the URL-Pack-EU app to have Emby pop up in Portal.

I would be keen to find out if others have got HDMI working with and without needing to install URL-Pack-EU app. Maybe need a new thread.

Do you know if that last pic of the screen the normal "TV" view screen? My experience with Plex was that it opens full screen (no address bar). From memory, I also think the "settings" page was far more basic then when you were logged into the server. (I've deleted it all now so cant check).

Valleyboy1975

I noticed a reply from 'luke', think it was the other post. He said have you set 'TV mode' where is this setting?

Valleyboy1975

Just to let you know, I gave up, installed plex and it seems to be connecting locally via hdmi.

I noticed a reply from 'luke', think it was the other post. He said have you set 'TV mode' where is this setting?

Click your user icon in the top right  -> Display Settings.

asa504

Did this Luke, it only made icons massive. changed the look a little but was still appearing inside a browser as per my previously added pics above.

Did this Luke, it only made icons massive. changed the look a little but was still appearing inside a browser as per my previously added pics above.

Right but could make the browser full screen and/or bookmark it to your home screen.

asa504

Thanks Luke. i can give this a try but there's another issue with video playback. Half the sound is missing for some reason when i open Emby as described above (by typing "app.emby.media" into a web browser). it opens and connects to Emby, i believe over the HDMI, but the sound seems to loose a channel. i cant find the cause yet.

jorr@entofga.com

I saw your post and it is similar to my problem(s) with both PLEX and emby.

I have a brand new AS5304 with 4x 8TB Seagates. Raid 5. 8GB memory. Tried and tried for weeks to get PLEX and Looksgood to play videos on my Samsung TV without buffering terribly or locking up the chrome/chromium web browser they use. I bought this unit so that I could play my videos "directly" through HDMI2 to my 75" Samsung 4K TV, but it displays unwatchable video (pixelated and buffering) or it locks up the chromium browser interface that PLEX uses. Looksgood does not lock up the browser but only buffers and pixelates. This happens even if I bypass the HDMI and use a direct Ethernet cable from the same router shared by the NAS. Switching to WiFi is no different. All apps are latest editions. IMPORTANT: I previously used a PLEX Server on my PC from another room and transmitted everything via wifi-connected LAN with NO BUFFERING. I have Xfinity Comcast Blast internet (>200down and 12-15Up) and a Mesh Network (Netgear Orbi). I create the problem when I open ADM, select PLEX, wait to load and usually locks up before I can attempt to play anything. If I get to play anything. It pixelates and buffers until it locks up the browser interface. I have a PLEX Pass. If I try Looksgood, it does not lock up the browser but pixelates. I have removed and then reinstalled the 4GB memory card (it was not the problem) on my ASUSTOR and checked all 4 of my 8GB HDs for errors. None.

AFTER installing the 3.5b version of ADM, I can no longer start emby. Now, I can NOT use either PLEX or emby and this is killing me. I even reset my network router back to factory settings, reset my windows network settings, uninstalled and reinstalled the pre-beta and beta emby server program and it still cannot start and therefore never shows up on my external devices. I can connect to the NAS remotely, but emby will not run remotely or directly using the ASUSTOR Portal (connected directly to my TV via HDMI cable). 

Lastly, although I do not want to reinstall all of my data for a third time, do you know if their is a way to "force" my ASUSTOR AS5304T to install and run the non-beta 3.4 version of ADM? I tried factory reset already and it reinstalled the beta. I ask because ASUSTOR tech support is useless. They seem to not understand, they sy they want to login to my NAS and see what is happening, but never follow through.

I appreciate any help the emby community can offer.

• 5 weeks later...
jorr@entofga.com

To rehash: This is my issue. I bought a new ASUSTOR AS5304T, put 8TB drives x4 + another 4MB of RAM for a total of 32TB and 8MB so that I could do only ONE THING - stream my home videos to my devices in and outside of the house. Emby was working fine for a short while and I bought the lifetime membership. I was "lovin-it". Then, I installed the Asustor ADM beta program update (from 3.4 to 3.5b) and I could no longer connect to or start the emby server on the NAS. This included the latest releases & even tried the beta version on emby. I have tried everything. Everything on my network and NAS was reset back to the defaults. I can start Plex, although it pixelates something terribly (the reason I bought emby), but cannot even start emby on the NAS - not using my PC or directly with the portal program and HDMI connected to my Samsung TV. Because the emby server won't start, no device apps have access. Please help.

I need help. I now have the non-beta 3.5 version of ADM and emby will NOT START. It seems to install but I cannot start it directly from the NAS, indirectly through my LAN or remotely through WAN.

Is this a problem with emby or my Asustor AS5304T NAS?

To rehash: This is my issue. I bought a new ASUSTOR AS5304T, put 8TB drives x4 + another 4MB of RAM for a total of 32TB and 8MB so that I could do only ONE THING - stream my home videos to my devices in and outside of the house. Emby was working fine for a short while and I bought the lifetime membership. I was "lovin-it". Then, I installed the Asustor ADM beta program update (from 3.4 to 3.5b) and I could no longer connect to or start the emby server on the NAS. This included the latest releases & even tried the beta version on emby. I have tried everything. Everything on my network and NAS was reset back to the defaults. I can start Plex, although it pixelates something terribly (the reason I bought emby), but cannot even start emby on the NAS - not using my PC or directly with the portal program and HDMI connected to my Samsung TV. Because the emby server won't start, no device apps have access. Please help.

I need help. I now have the non-beta 3.5 version of ADM and emby will NOT START. It seems to install but I cannot start it directly from the NAS, indirectly through my LAN or remotely through WAN.

Is this a problem with emby or my Asustor AS5304T NAS?

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50539-emby-asustor-package/page-12&do=findComment&comment=891235

asa504

Hi Jorr,

I'm feeling your pain!!

In my multiple attempts or install / re-install i saw an app called Jellyfin pop up. i thought i might give it a try as this is how i found Emby, and while i like the software, its just not playing.

Jellyfin uses the same port as Emby so you have to uninstall your Emby. the library is a little more sensitive to correct naming anyway but i used a free version of filebot which renames things very easily. it can also place them all into unique folders.

On testing the app seemed to play seamlessly however there are some quirks.

it also open in a web based interface, and you have to use DLNA to stream (i was loosing image size and sound until i clocked it). it open to full screen and 100% clear image and playback. I ran a 4k video perfectly.

For me however, when i use this over my Hisense 65P8 i loose all remote control functionality. all i can do is exit and then it wants to start again from the beginning. pretty frustrating but watchable (go to the toilet before you begin!!).

Sorry Emby, i like it but it's just not working on Asustor's. :(