Remote (WAN) access changes every now an then

arron1985

arron1985

HI everyone i am new to all of this and could do with some help. Every now and then my remote access http address changes so i am unable to use emby when im away from home. What will cause this and how can i stop it from changing again. I read an older post about going into advance setting and putting my address in external domain. I done this and it stayed the same but after time i was unable to use emby way from home again. So i cleared external domain that i had put in so it gave me a new number then it worked again. whats is causing this. Thanks guys 

mastrmind11

HI everyone i am new to all of this and could do with some help. Every now and then my remote access http address changes so i am unable to use emby when im away from home. What will cause this and how can i stop it from changing again. I read an older post about going into advance setting and putting my address in external domain. I done this and it stayed the same but after time i was unable to use emby way from home again. So i cleared external domain that i had put in so it gave me a new number then it worked again. whats is causing this. Thanks guys 

Because unless you pay for a static IP from your service provider, they can (and obviously do) change your IP address when your dhcp lease expires and you disconnect at any point.  The only way to get around it other than paying for a static IP is to get yourself a domain name and use a dynamic dns provider.  Most recent routers have the ability to connect to a ddns provider and send it updates whenever your WAN IP changes, so you never have to worry about it again.  Otherwise there are clients you can install on your server that will do the same thing.  You can also use something like https://www.dnsomatic.com/ if you don't want to install a client or mess with your router.  Good news is ddns providers are free, and there are a bunch of them.  This should get you started https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-best-dynamic-dns-providers-can-lookup-free-today/

Q-Droid

Even with DNS-O-Matic you'll need something like ddclient to update the IP when it changes. I use ddclient with DNS-O-Matic to update both OpenDNS and my dynamic DNS provider.

mastrmind11

Even with DNS-O-Matic you'll need something like ddclient to update the IP when it changes. I use ddclient with DNS-O-Matic to update both OpenDNS and my dynamic DNS provider.

ah yeah you're right, i set it up so long ago I forgot my router is talking to dns-o-matic.  thanks for the correction.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Today in my area I had a power outage. After the electricity was restored, the remote (WAN) access of my server changed. So, if I understand correctly, it happens because my internet service provider uses a dynamic ip. So, it's normal that it happens from time to time.

Thnak you, mastrmind11 and Q-Droid, for your replys the April 11, 2020:  

Otherwise there are clients you can install on your server that will do the same thing. 

and

However, I'm not so good to understand exactlly what can I do. Does anyone already did somes changes in order to avoid this changing of WAN? 
Can you post here the steps how to do? 

Thank you very much. 

Edited by AndreiP

Q-Droid

You can't really prevent this from happening (WAN IP change) unless you have the option of static IPs from your ISP.

The workaround is to use a dynamic DNS (DDNS) service to register your WAN IP and update when it changes. Then you use a domain name instead of IP address to access your server remotely. Many consumer routers have a built-in DDNS client, some may support a list of providers. It's the easiest way but you can also use a DDNS service of your choice and an updater tool that can run on different platforms. There are many free DDNS providers but check the details first because some require periodic verification, like account login every 30 days, etc.

DNS-o-Matic is a site/service where you can consolidate and manage IP updates to many other services from one place using a single DDNS client.

• Like 2