Chapters not working on random files on Shield.

Hi there.  It seems that chapters on random files aren't working on my Nvidia Shield Pro (Latest) but work on ATV4k and through browser.  Not sure how to fix it but it seems only the Shield is not using chapters.  Additionally FF does not work and just restarts the file.  Need assistance.  Thanks.

Hi.  What exactly does "not work" mean?

If your items aren't seekable, that points to them not having proper media info.  Try refreshing metadata on them.

Hi.  What exactly does "not work" mean?

If your items aren't seekable, that points to them not having proper media info.  Try refreshing metadata on them.

sorry about that.  I guess I wasn't clear enough.  If I go to the movie and browse through the chapters and click on one that is not the first one it just plays from the beginning.  Also if I start playing the movie then press up and go to a chapter it just starts from the beginning again.  Additionally as I mentioned, if I try to seek through the title with FF it gets to 20 or 21 seconds and won't go only further.  When I let go of the FF button it just starts over again.  This behavior is only on the Nvidia Shield Pro.  ATV4k and browser (safari) work fine for all chapter and seek functions.  I will try a metadata refresh as suggested and post back.  Thanks.

All of those symptoms are the same thing - the inability to seek the file.  Let us know how it goes after the refresh.

Thanks.

Okay.  Still no go on the Shield.  Unfortunately.  Still works fine on browser and ATV4k but no go on the shield.  Add Roku TV app to that mix as I tested on that as well.  Here is what I've done.

1. Ran Search for missing metadata.  No changes

2.  Ran Replace all metadata.  No changes.

3. Deleted library from Emby.

4. Downed Server

5. Upgraded to 4.4.1.0

6. Created new library

7.  Still works on ATV4k and browser (Safari) fine.   Still not working on Shield or RokuTV.  

If I can provide anything else let me know.  Next thing I was going to try was to delete library, delete all files except for movie files in my directories and create new libarary.  Not sure if that's going to matter though. Seems like Emby server is fine with the file and functions but certain client apps (Shield and Roku) cannot figure out the chapters.  

Edited by Guest

I'll add I just tried another movie I never have before on the Shield.  It would not start.  Switched over to ATV4k and tested and it played fine.  

Yes, using the instructions above, please send a log from the app right after trying to seek one of these and it failing.

Also, what is the media info shown at the bottom of the web app detail page for one of these items?

Yes, using the instructions above, please send a log from the app right after trying to seek one of these and it failing.

Also, what is the media info shown at the bottom of the web app detail page for one of these items?

Yup will totally do that today.  Can you be more specific about the "detail" page you're looking for.  Stats for nerds?

Just open the web app and click on the video. The next screen after that will be the detail screen where it shows video information.

Just open the web app and click on the video. The next screen after that will be the detail screen where it shows video information.

Gotcha.  I thought you meant during playback.  Attached.

post-516288-0-72109900-1586458587_thumb.jpg

Hi.  Did you send a log from the app after trying to seek one of these?

Sorry had to finish work before I could get to my stuff.  Log attached.  Thank you!

Edit:

Did the following:

1. Started file that does not respect chapters playback direct to a chapter marker.  Playback just started from the beginning.

2. Tried to seek file after starting from beginning.  Went to about 30 seconds and would not go further then just restarted from beginning when I let go of FF button.

3. Tried to start other movie file that will not start at all.  Tried for about 5 seconds with black screen and went back to the screen for the movie that shows all the info.  Would not start

embyserver.txt

Edited by Guest

Q-Droid

Are your other devices direct playing or transcoding? You might have corrupt containers direct playing on the Shield but being transcoded for other players. Bad or missing timing data is often a sign of a broken container file.

Are your other devices direct playing or transcoding? You might have corrupt containers direct playing on the Shield but being transcoded for other players. Bad or missing timing data is often a sign of a broken container file.

Thanks for the reply Q.  I thought about that but the account I'm using for this is set to not allow transcoding so none of these devices that work with these problem files are transcoding.  For instance one of them that doesn't play at all will play video and chapters work on ATV4k but I do not get any audio playing that file because it is DTSHD which ATK4k cannot direct play but video and chapters still work.  I believe it is an issue with the client software on the Shield and Roku.  That said, I am not an expert so I'm just making assumptions based on what knowledge I do have.  Good thought though and maybe there is something I'm missing and you're correct but since it seems to work on some clients and not others, I would assume it's a client error.

Sorry had to finish work before I could get to my stuff.  Log attached.  Thank you!

Edit:

Did the following:

1. Started file that does not respect chapters playback direct to a chapter marker.  Playback just started from the beginning.

2. Tried to seek file after starting from beginning.  Went to about 30 seconds and would not go further then just restarted from beginning when I let go of FF button.

3. Tried to start other movie file that will not start at all.  Tried for about 5 seconds with black screen and went back to the screen for the movie that shows all the info.  Would not start

Hi. please follow the instructions to send the log from the app, not server.

Thanks.

Hi. please follow the instructions to send the log from the app, not server.

Thanks.

Ahh.  Sorry about that.  I have one update.  I re-ripped my one movie from my blu-ray and it works fine.  That is the one that did not even start before.  Starts and chapters work fine.  I will get back with the log from the client for the other file.  Thanks.

Ahh.  Sorry about that.  I have one update.  I re-ripped my one movie from my blu-ray and it works fine.  That is the one that did not even start before.  Starts and chapters work fine.  I will get back with the log from the client for the other file.  Thanks.

Okay, that supports the thesis that there is an encoding problem with these files...

Okay.  I just submitted the log from my Shield for this error.  I did the following before submitting log.

1. Ran file through MKVToolnix from original MP4 master file to convert to MKV.

2. Redid all the chapters on the file with MKVToolnix

3. Copied file to different library.

4.  Tried to play then seek.  Goes to 30 seconds then restarts from beginning still.

5.  Tried to jump to chapter from main movie menu.  Starts from beginning.

Not sure if that clears up the encoding thing or not because that's a bit over my head but I did redo the whole MKV file from the MP4 master file in hopes that might shed more light on the issue.  Help appreciated!

Edited by Guest

Yeah, something with how these are encoded is a problem.  Perhaps @@softworkz will have some clues...?

04-11 10:41:06.601 19150 19150 I System.out: *** Seeking to resume point
04-11 10:41:06.603 19150 19150 D EventLogger: seekStarted [eventTime=0.38, mediaPos=0.00, window=0, period=0]
04-11 10:41:06.604 19150 19150 D EventLogger: positionDiscontinuity [eventTime=0.38, mediaPos=1608.00, window=0, period=0, SEEK]

Yeah, something with how these are encoded is a problem.  Perhaps @@softworkz will have some clues...?

04-11 10:41:06.601 19150 19150 I System.out: *** Seeking to resume point
04-11 10:41:06.603 19150 19150 D EventLogger: seekStarted [eventTime=0.38, mediaPos=0.00, window=0, period=0]
04-11 10:41:06.604 19150 19150 D EventLogger: positionDiscontinuity [eventTime=0.38, mediaPos=1608.00, window=0, period=0, SEEK]

I see.  Is that someone I have to reach out to or they will see your message?  Thanks for your help.  

MKV is a container format that provides a seek header which can be located at the start or the end of the file.

The seek header is a kind of a dictionary, indicating where certain time positions are located in the file (byte position).

When the contained streams have non-contiguous timestamps, that mechanism may fail.

A muxing tool should normally warn about this.