CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • Local time: 05:53 PM
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

@Luke

Updating to v4.5.0.5 is failing with the following in the updater log:.

Error performing update. Source and destination path must be different.    at System.IO.Directory.Move(String sourceDirName, String destDirName)
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Updater.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<ExtractPackage>b__0()
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Updater.DoWithRetry(Action action)
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Updater.ExtractPackage(String archive, String systemDir, String backupDir)
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Updater.Extract(String archive, String systemPath)
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Updater.Run(String archive, String systemPath, String tempDirectory)
   at Emby.Server.Updater.Program.Main(String[] args)
I have rebooted my PC and still getting the same error.

#2 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 19165 posts
  • Local time: 09:53 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

My beta systems have updated without issue on Windows.

#3 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

My beta systems have updated without issue on Windows.

And how is that a useful comment :rolleyes:
  • meatball likes this

#4 ecsjjgg OFFLINE  

ecsjjgg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 PM
  • LocationLindesberg, Sweden

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

My server also updated, after my 2nd restart...

Sorry for this comment...

It might not be useful, but I had to restart my PC twice for it to successfully update...

Edited by ecsjjgg, 07 April 2020 - 05:58 PM.

• CBers and Happy2Play like this

#5 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 19165 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:05 PM

And how is that a useful comment :rolleyes:

Well we can alway say !@#$!#$!@ as it is specific to said system. :D

#6 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

Well we can alway say !@#$!#$!@ as it is specific to said system. :D

When you start coding for Emby, then you can perhaps post something useful, but until then, let's wait for @Luke to reply.

I'm still having issues.

Manual installs from the beta setup.exe is not working, it's just hanging.

Had to download the system folder for v4.5.0.4 as my system and system.old got deleted, so I had nothing to regress to.

Never had issues like this before.

If you need anything further @Luke, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll try a 2nd reboot as @ecsjjgg helpfully suggested.

#7 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 19165 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:27 PM

Sigh you alway have to go overboard with nonsense but hey glad you are here to help.  Saying I don't have a issue does help as it isolates it.  Just like Luke would say I don't see a issue here. :lol:

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156956 posts
  • Local time: 12:53 PM

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

I've never seen that before in the update log. I guess we'll have to have it write more to the log to indicate where it's trying to copy to & from so that we can get a better understanding.

#9 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:43 PM

I've never seen that before in the update log. I guess we'll have to have it write more to the log to indicate where it's trying to copy to & from so that we can get a better understanding.

Any suggestions?

As I said, I downloaded the beta version of setup.exe, but it just hangs when downloading the update.

It also took 20 minutes to download the v4.5.0.4 7z file, so is there an issue with Github?

Getting late here, so I will try again in the morning, perhaps downloading from Github and copying the system folder over.

#10 rechigo OFFLINE  

rechigo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • LocationCALIFORNIA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

My auto update hasn't worked in weeks

I've had to manually fetch a binary from the github and replace the system folder with the new one

It's stuck at "Please restart the server to finish installing updates" even after I've restarted it about 3 times

I tried to run the Emby.Server.Updater.exe manually with the arguments provided by the logs and it failed due to hanging server processes (as I expected the cause was)

Edited by rechigo, 07 April 2020 - 09:23 PM.

#11 jordy ONLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1429 posts
  • Local time: 02:23 AM
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:06 PM

.05 updated on the first try for me, whereas .04 tried 9 times before I had to do the setup route...

win10pro

:)

• Happy2Play likes this

#12 pir8radio OFFLINE  

pir8radio

NGINX

• Members
  • 3522 posts
  • Local time: 11:53 AM
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:49 PM

When you start coding for Emby, then you can perhaps post something useful, but until then, let's wait for @Luke to reply.

I'm still having issues.

Had to download the system folder for v4.5.0.4 as my system and system.old got deleted, so I had nothing to regress to.

Awe man, come on we are all on the same team, save that anger for a plex user...  :lol:     JK plex.....      you sure you dont have any hidden embyserver.exe's hung up?  running the fresh install "as administrator"......... if in windows that is.   A few of the issues I have seen with hung updates/manual update. 

My auto update hasn't worked in weeks

I've had to manually fetch a binary from the github and replace the system folder with the new one

It's stuck at "Please restart the server to finish installing updates" even after I've restarted it about 3 times

I tried to run the Emby.Server.Updater.exe manually with the arguments provided by the logs and it failed due to hanging server processes (as I expected the cause was)

Same here, I had to disable "automatic restart after update" because i would come home to 15+ embyserver.exe's running...    

Edited by pir8radio, 07 April 2020 - 11:52 PM.

#13 rechigo OFFLINE  

rechigo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • LocationCALIFORNIA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:15 AM

I have a hunch this has something to do with plugins, testing now...

Yep, just finished testing with all plugins removed (excluding system plugins). I'm going to have to track down which plugins are causing this behavior

Edited by rechigo, 08 April 2020 - 02:31 AM.

#14 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52010 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

I have a hunch this has something to do with plugins, testing now...

Yep, just finished testing with all plugins removed (excluding system plugins). I'm going to have to track down which plugins are causing this behavior

Your issue is different from the OP but this is good investigation.  A plug-in could be accessing something directly and not letting it go - keeping the server from being able to do its thing.

#15 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52010 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:25 AM

I'm still having issues.

Hope you were just having a bad day because that wasn't fair to Happy at all.  He was just trying to help by indicating that the issue is not affecting everyone.

Have you been doing anything "special" in your EmbyServer folder lately that may be tripping things up?  I mean like manually moving or renaming things in there.

• TomTiddler likes this

#16 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

Hope you were just having a bad day because that wasn't fair to Happy at all. He was just trying to help by indicating that the issue is not affecting everyone.

That wasn't a helpful initial comment.
Would have been better to not reply at all.

Have you been doing anything "special" in your EmbyServer folder lately that may be tripping things up? I mean like manually moving or renaming things in there.

Nope, never touch it between releases, no need to.

Normally this is some kind of file-lock, where a reboot resolves the issue, but not this time. The only way I could get to the latest version, was to download from Github and extract the system folder.

Seems to be lots of issues with people unable to update their servers the first time in both Stable and Beta environments. Had to reboot a couple of my friend's and family's PCs today when the latest Stable server was released. Some others worked straight away.

The whole issue of updating needs looking into by you and Luke, as this is becoming more and more common lately and having to reboot a PC shouldn't be a requirement these days.

Thanks.

#17 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52010 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:13 AM

The whole issue of updating needs looking into by you and Luke, as this is becoming more and more common lately and having to reboot a PC shouldn't be a requirement these days.

I think, many times, these issues are caused by plug-ins.  This is the catch-22 of providing an extensible platform because some of those extensions might not behave well and we have little control over them.

Your specific issue is one we've never seen before so will take some investigation.

#18 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15934 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:19 AM

I think, many times, these issues are caused by plug-ins. This is the catch-22 of providing an extensible platform because some of those extensions might not behave well and we have little control over them.

Your specific issue is one we've never seen before so will take some investigation.

OK, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users