Email notifications

Ninko

Ninko

Hi,

I've recently changed my email provider and update the plug-in settings with the correct details but every time I try to send a test email it says there was an error straight away, it's almost as though it's not even attempting to send.

Any help please

Thanks

rbjtech

what settings have you used ? (don't specify your email address here, just the settings.. )  ;)

Does your new provider use the same SSL/TLS ports ? - try with 25 for basic SMTP to ensure that works to start with.

Ninko

I'm using smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 with both SSL and authentication options selected. I've also tried port 587 and 25 as you adviced, still gives me an error.

rbjtech

I'm using smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 with both SSL and authentication options selected. I've also tried port 587 and 25 as you adviced, still gives me an error.

If you use the same credentials in an email client (outlook etc) does this work ?

Are there any firewalls preventing OUTGOING requests on Ports TCP 25, 465 and 587 ?  If using Windows, default is to not block outgoing connections anyway.

Remember you do the setup per Emby USER - so make sure it is setup for the correct user and notifications are enabled for that user   ;)

My setup is as follows -

Configure email notifications for - 'Admin'

Enable Notifications - Ticked

Email from - My Primary email address

Email to - emby@mydomain.com (can be the same as your primary email)

smtp hostname - smtp.mydomain.com

smtp port - 587

Enable SSL - ticked

Enable SMTP Auth - ticked

smtp username - My Primary email address

smtp password - same as my main email password

ps - if using Port 25 (as a test), do not tick SSL  ;)

Click SAVE, then a Test Notification will send you an email with the contents below :-

Emby: Test Notification

This is a test notification from Emby Server

A notification set to send an email when a particular user plays a video results in the following in the logs :-

2020-04-11 18:54:24.922 Info App: Sending email emby@mydomain.com with subject Emby: MyUser is playing SomeThing on Chrome

2020-04-11 18:54:25.382 Info App: Completed sending email emby@mydomain.com with subject Emby: MyUser is playing SomeThing on Chrome

@@Luke - to note, looking at the logs, the 'Test' is also generating an error, but the email is being sent (and received) regardless.

2020-04-11 18:45:05.042 Error App: Error sending email: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: 4.7.0 smtp.<smtpprovider> Error: too many errors

at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)

at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.EndSend(IAsyncResult result)

at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.SendMailFrom()

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.BeginSendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotification(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

I hope this helps. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

Right now I honestly don't know. I wish I had a better answer but these kinds of things always seem to end up being domain or configuration specific.

Ninko

Is there anyway to clear all settings from the plugin to start from scratch as I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem?

Thanks

Dibbes

Is there anyway to clear all settings from the plugin to start from scratch as I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem?

Thanks

Manually remove the .dll and the config file from the plugin folder. Unless you've changed these paths, you find these folders at \\%appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\

I don't which file in the configurations folder is the one for email notifications, as this seems encrypted...

• Like 1

Ninko

I'm running emby on Synology, so I'm not sure it's as easy as that?

Thanks

PenkethBoy

use putty and/or WinScp to login to your nas and do as dibbes suggested

reboot the emby server after

• Like 2

FrostByte

the paths you're looking for on Synology are

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/plugins

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/plugins/configurations

If the config file is encrypted though, not sure how you figure which is which

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers

465 is the correct port for smtp.virginmedia.com, but it just does not like sending an email initiated by Emby.

Using a Gmail account works fine, but you need to enable "Less secure apps access".

Ninko

465 is the correct port for smtp.virginmedia.com, but it just does not like sending an email initiated by Emby.

Using a Gmail account works fine, but you need to enable "Less secure apps access".

Did you find smtp.virginmedia.com wouldn't work either then?

Thanks

Edited by Ninko

CBers

Did you find smtp.virginmedia.com wouldn't work either then?

Thanks

Yes.

The Test Email also fails in Emby with my Gmail account, but I still receive the email.

Ninko

Right... I have no idea what's wrong here then, shame as I found it a useful plugin.

CBers

Right... I have no idea what's wrong here then, shame as I found it a useful plugin.

Just create yourself a Gmail account and use that.

maegibbons

Thanks, but I was hoping to move away from using Gmail.

You can use any email address you like. You just need to find an smtp server that will relay the mail for you.

Or setup your own sendmail server to relay it.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

maegibbons

If you get stuck and your connection has a static IP address, i can relay it for you.

PM me your static IP and i can send you smtp server details.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Ninko

Thanks @@maegibbons that's very kind of you, but I suspect the problem lies with the plugin as I'm using the exact same settings for my Synology NAS's email notifications and their working fine.