Email notifications

Ninko

Seger

There was an error sending the test email. Please check your email settings and try again.

Error: Could not load type of field 'MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier+<SendNotification>d__11:<mail>5__2' (6) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'MimeKit, Version=2.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bede1c8a46c66814' or one of its dependencies

Synology 4.4.3.0

Anthony Musgrove
29 minutes ago, Seger said:

There was an error sending the test email. Please check your email settings and try again.

Error: Could not load type of field 'MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier+<SendNotification>d__11:<mail>5__2' (6) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'MimeKit, Version=2.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bede1c8a46c66814' or one of its dependencies

Synology 4.4.3.0

That's very interesting, I'd need to debug on the device to find out what's missing.  MimeKit has a few dependencies:

.NETStandard 2.0

I wonder what is missing from Synology that it needs.  

Anthony Musgrove

Okay, in my test scenarios, I've checked the emby system directory which contains all the system-wide core dlls, and I have the following listed:

System.Reflection.TypeExtensions.dll (version is 4.4.0+) so this is a tick for this dependency,

System.Security.Cryptography.Cng.dll (version is 4.4.0+) so this is also a tick,

System.Text.Encoding.CodePages.dll (version is 4.4.0+) so this is also a tick.

(BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll is not present in my system directory, perhaps it hasn't needed it)

Could you perhaps check these three files in your emby system directory and let me know if all of yours are i) present, and ii) version 4.4.0 or above?  I'd like to figure this one out if we can.

thank you!

Edited by Anthony Musgrove

• 3 weeks later...
Ninko

Has there been any progress regarding this problem?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

@Anthony Musgrove

New case for your debugging effort

Setup the email plugin on Ubuntu 20.04 LCX container, it does send emails on test but does not work in general from emby and throws errors, see below

Pls let me know if I can try something or help you with testing, thx!

2020-09-06 08:20:54.705 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.4.3.0
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Unix 5.4.34.1
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.2
    Processor count: 12
    Program data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<GetOptions>b__0(SMTPOptions i)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate, Boolean& found)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.GetOptions(User user)
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotification(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications
    TargetSite: Boolean <GetOptions>b__0(MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Configuration.SMTPOptions)

@Anthony Musgrove Anything I can do to make it work ?  I have other emby server and see no problems at all with email ...

Edited by chudak

• 2 weeks later...

I could not get attention to my question in another thread for awhile, so creating a new one with hopes that somebody can suggest a resolution ?

Thx in advance ! 

Setup the email plugin on Ubuntu 20.04 LCX container, it does send emails on test but does not work in general from emby and throws errors, see below

2020-09-06 08:20:54.705 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.4.3.0
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Unix 5.4.34.1
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.2
    Processor count: 12
    Program data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<GetOptions>b__0(SMTPOptions i)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate, Boolean& found)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.GetOptions(User user)
       at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotification(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications
    TargetSite: Boolean <GetOptions>b__0(MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Configuration.SMTPOptions)

• 3 weeks later...
chudak

I reinstalled a fresh emby and confirmed that email notifications work.

However after restoring backup its when I get the same error again with email notifications.

So it's a premier back up that messes it up !

@Luke

Just now, chudak said:

I reinstalled a fresh emby and confirmed that email notifications work.

However after restoring backup its when I get the same error again with email notifications.

So it's a premier back up that messes it up !

@Luke

No, it's probably the email plugin configuration you had in your backup that was the issue.

chudak
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, it's probably the email plugin configuration you had in your backup that was the issue.

Hmm I probably can confirm this.

@Luke

Can you tell me how to remove all email related config files ?

I'd have to check but I think there will be an xml file for it under the server's config folder.

chudak
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I'd have to check but I think there will be an xml file for it under the server's config folder.

@Luke

I removed the email plugin and deleted configurations/MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml and after installing it back my from came up pre-filled, so there must be something else.

chudak
1 minute ago, Luke said:

make sure to do that with the server shut down.

Yeah I got it and got an email from cleaned up, but then it still generates an error.

Maybe I will try a fresh install again and restore a better backup :(

very odd...

chudak
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@Luke

Well I let you draw conclusions: did a fresh emby install again and restored a backup from the system where email notifications work, and .... it does not work !

Is it backup or email notifications yo be the judge !

9 minutes ago, chudak said:

@Luke

Well I let you draw conclusions: did a fresh emby install again and restored a backup from the system where email notifications work, and .... it does not work !

Is it backup or email notifications yo be the judge !

There's probably an issue in the config file that you're restoring.

chudak
Just now, Luke said:

There's probably an issue in the config file that you're restoring.

Must be, but...

Fresh install - notifications work

Restore good back up - notifications don't work

Restore no-so-good back up - notifications don't work

If this is in configuration file - which one?

But can be backup problem AFAImC

3 minutes ago, chudak said:

Must be, but...

Fresh install - notifications work

Restore good back up - notifications don't work

Restore no-so-good back up - notifications don't work

If this is in configuration file - which one?

But can be backup problem AFAImC

The only information you're providing is work/don't work, so my response is based on that, which is purely speculation. If you can provide more specifics and details then I can probably give a better answer.