How to get Emby and Photo Station to play nicely?

zBernie

zBernie

I have an issue where Emby only displays thumbnails of videos, but not photos.  And I'm unable to view either.  I found the problem was permission/ownership.  I shut down and gave Emby read write permissions to my entire media library.  I also shut down Synology's Photo Station.  Afterwhich, Emby was working fine.  Then I started Photo Station and indexed my photos, afterwhich Emby resumed having the same problem.

Any documetation or advice getting these two to play nicely together would be greatly appreciated!

Note that I did try Synology's Moments, but it does not have the capability I'm looking for.

zBernie

Hi, is it possible Photo station changed the permissions?

I think that is the case, although I haven't verified.  I've given read/write permission to the photostation and embysrv users, but Photo Station seems to just take over.   I've said before that Photo Station has been a PITA for years.  I mainly use it to share photographs with others.  But I have an Office 365 subscription, and just tested Microsoft's OneDrive file sharing, and it works well enough.  I plan on uninstalling Photo Studio, and Emby's home photos and videos will work again! 

FrostByte

@@FrostByte have you tried this before?

I don't use any of the Synology media apps.  I suppose I could try, but hate for it to mess with all my permissions for 1,000s of photos if that's what's happening here

chacawaca

photostation overwrite permission on file, but you can modify them directly in photostation

zBernie

photostation overwrite permission on file, but you can modify them directly in photostation

You can modify them in Photo Station, File Station, Control Panel, etc.  The problem is that doesn't resolve the issue, Photo Station takes over even though the embysrv user have read/write access to my entire media library. 

• 2 weeks later...
marky9074

Hi, I think I have the same issue here. However, I shut down photostation, but still the default /photo share is showing as empty in Emby when scanned for media. How did you get this to work?

zBernie

Hi, I think I have the same issue here. However, I shut down photostation, but still the default /photo share is showing as empty in Emby when scanned for media. How did you get this to work?

Photo Station has been a source of consternation for years!  It was an issue when I ran Plex on my DS418play.  And it was an issue with Emby.  I've always found that if I added even a single photo to Photo Station, I had to manually index the photos, which was an overnight process.  Plus in order to get Photo Station to function as expected, I had to use symbolic links on the NAS.  Which were deleted periodically by updates.

So the way I resolved the issue was to delete Photo Station!  Emby has not had any major issues since then.  I now use Microsoft's OneDrive for sharing photos.  It works great!  I can edit photos that I've already sent a sharing link for, another plus.

It may not be feasible for you to remove Photo Station, but I would recommend it!

Good luck.

marky9074

Thanks for the prompt reply, its very much appreciated. I just literally did a cp -r * from the default /photo to a new /Photos share, set up a new library, scanned and all my photos are there! So it can only be the /photo directory permissions, which are all the same as /Photos (drwxrwxrwx+), the only difference now is /photo is owned by photostation, and /Photos is owned by root. Very strange.....

zBernie

Thanks for the prompt reply, its very much appreciated. I just literally did a cp -r * from the default /photo to a new /Photos share, set up a new library, scanned and all my photos are there! So it can only be the /photo directory permissions, which are all the same as /Photos (drwxrwxrwx+), the only difference now is /photo is owned by photostation, and /Photos is owned by root. Very strange.....

You're going down the same rabbit hole I was in.  If you're going to muck with permissions then definitely use a Synology tool like File Station.  But I've found that once you get one working by changing permissions/ownership, problems develop with the other.

chacawaca

First if you want to keep emby user write access you need to modify it in photostation ( AND ONLY THERE) if you modify access to this folder by smb or filestation or anything else, that will reset it to default.

second for index problem you can use this https://github.com/carljm/synology-mediamon  you modify this script with path you want to monitor.

For me that work well on a rs818+ and on a ds918+

zBernie

First if you want to keep emby user write access you need to modify it in photostation ( AND ONLY THERE) if you modify access to this folder by smb or filestation or anything else, that will reset it to default.

second for index problem you can use this https://github.com/carljm/synology-mediamon  you modify this script with path you want to monitor.

Thanks, but I'm through with cobbling together things to get Photo Station working they way it should.  The support sucks too at Synology's forum.  

marky9074

Perfect, that worked like a charm. I had to separate my home videos and photos into separate libraries (because for some reason it wouldn't show the photos in the folder view). Entertain me now, why install pyinotify when there is already an inotify session running?

Edited by marky9074

marky9074

Aha, thanks for that. I had a similar issue when running Serviio alongside photostation and Synology logged in and changed the inotify values. Wonder if that is one and the same issue? Changing the subject, have you selected to create thumbnails for your photos? I have refrained from doing this so far with all my libraries, but wondering if it would be useful for the photos as there is a significant lag on the initial serving these up on the client? 

zBernie

Aha, thanks for that. I had a similar issue when running Serviio alongside photostation and Synology logged in and changed the inotify values. Wonder if that is one and the same issue? Changing the subject, have you selected to create thumbnails for your photos? I have refrained from doing this so far with all my libraries, but wondering if it would be useful for the photos as there is a significant lag on the initial serving these up on the client? 

I'm wondering that myself.  Currently I do not create thumbnails.  I just copied a single photo to a directory with about 20 other photos.  Then accessed that directory in Emby.  There were no thumbnails for ANY of the images.  Then within several minutes, all of the thumbnails were generated including the new photo.  I'm thinking of enabling thumbnail creation myself, in hopes that I won't have to wait for thumbnail creation.  There is a comment above the thumbnail creation checkbox which explains that it will require several GB of space, and is CPU intensive.  It recommends to schedule the process to run off hours which I intend to do.

Edited by zBernie

marky9074

I'm wondering that myself.  Currently I do not create thumbnails.  I just copied a single photo to a directory with about 20 other photos.  Then accessed that directory in Emby.  There were no thumbnails for ANY of the images.  Then within several minutes, all of the thumbnails were generated including the new photo.  I'm thinking of enabling thumbnail creation myself, in hopes that I won't have to wait for thumbnail creation.  There is a comment above the thumbnail creation checkbox which explains that it will require several GB of space, and is CPU intensive.  It recommends to schedule the process to run off hours which I intend to do.

Yeah re-reading it I am unsure. Is it only specifying creation of thumbnails for videos? This morning I started manually setting folder art for a few of my photo folders as there was none there, I come back an hour or so later and they were all auto populated, including the sub-folders. Maybe I am just being impatient and emby needs a fair few hours (or even days) to properly scrape my media. It would help if there was any sort of indication on what the library scanning was doing or how long estimated to complete....