Video player freezes near 20sec after starting on high bitrate

Yuya

I found a post that had the same exact problem: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78910-direct-streaming-constant-freezing-when-playing-a-very-high-bitrate-video-file/

The different is when it happen. Back when i had v4.3.x. I had no issues with emby what so ever. I just recently bought premiere so I can use the hardware acceleration. Which is very nice. Worth. During this time I stress test the server/computer to see how far I can go. I play 4 4k(120mbps) movies with no issues what so ever. Device I use are; google chrome on computer(s) and on host computer and chrome on (Android) phone. This happen all in-home (LAN). Than I notice an update which loop back to 4.3.x. I found out why and manually updated it via website. Now i'm on 4.4.1.0. I started to do my stress test again and within my first play. I was unable to playback 4k video. Just like the post I linked. I found out that I can no longer play any video above 30mbps. If above, than it just freezes near 20 seconds and keep transcoding. Its really funny how on the free version I had no issues, but the moment i put down money, ISSUES! The emby server is currently on my main computer that has a very high storage capacity. I will soon build a nas server for my media.

Edit: Did more testing. It seem this Issue only happen when I have hardware acceleration on. When its off. It work fine.

Edited by Yuya

As a test, does this happen if you disable hardware acceleration under server transcoding settings?

When hardware acceleration is disable. The Issues is not present. When it is enable. Any video that can output high bitrate (above 30Mbps), and the quality is selected that is above 30Mbps. The issue IS present.

• 1 month later...

Just did a test and yes I am. Currently on v4.4.2.0. Right now i'm moving all my media to a new computer (for storage reason), including emby a well. I hope this will fix it as the computer will be clean and new.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat, I'm still waiting on my 10Gb networking card to come in. Since i have 15TB of data to move, but that should be within a few days if shipping go well. I will post an update once everything is done and tested.

rbjtech

I don't see this as a 'new computer' issue - I see it as a Hardware Transcoding with your current hardware cannot handle that bandwidth, Codec, Bit Depth or Profile issue.  Remember FFMPEG (software) is only limited by speed - it will use your CPU to it's maximum abilities, but hardware acceleration will be limited by the Hardware itself but 'should' fall back to CPU if it is not fully compatible.

I don't see this as a 'new computer' issue - I see it as a Hardware Transcoding with your current hardware cannot handle that bandwidth, Codec, Bit Depth or Profile issue.  Remember FFMPEG (software) is only limited by speed - it will use your CPU to it's maximum abilities, but hardware acceleration will be limited by the Hardware itself but 'should' fall back to CPU if it is not fully compatible.

"I don't see this as a 'new computer' issue"

Yes do i agreed with that, but i'm moving the server regardless.

As for "hardware" issue. I don't think so. It worked before I updated the server and I do have high end CPU and GPU (i7-8700k OC 4.9GHz & EVGA FTW 1080TI OC 2.1GHz)

Now before someone say about "What about the drivers?!?!" I did updated all my drivers before I updated the server. I also did any other updates that is needed for day to day bases, IE windows.

Ok, I did more testing with the new server. The freeze still happens but will now happen at 20sec to 2min mark. Did testing on multiple 4k videos. That is with hardware acceleration on. There were some videos 4k or 1080 video, with or without hardware acceleration on. I've notice graphical glitches on videos that is played higher than 30Mbps. it does still happen on 30Mpbs but very rare. I've tested this graphical glitches on both old and new computer and both are present. The files are good as I also tested the video/audio quality in VLC and adobe premiere pro with no issue what so ever. 95% of my files are in MKV.

New computer specs:

CPU: i7-9700KF

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super

RAM: g.skill 16GB

MB: Asus prime z390

Old computer specs:

CPU i7-8700K OC 4.9Ghz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti OC 2.1Ghz

Ram: g.skill 32GB

MB: Asus ROG maximus X Hero

P.S Both computer has 10Gb/s networking card. I also have 10G switch. All testing happen in local network and/or local computer.

Can you try lowering the in app quality setting to see if that helps?

Usually freezing and stuttering is a sign that the bitrate was too high. Thanks for the feedback.

wow, thats a new. "bitrate was too high" So at what point do i need to make it not too high of bitrate so I can watch it in 4k? The server can handle 8k video transcoding.

Well, I went to the plex forums to see if people had similar issues. They did. They also give out the reason why and how to deal with it. It seem like GPU transcoding is a no go on any type due to NVIDIA. To fix this problem that I have. Emby is not at fault. NVIDIA need to redo how their transcoding work. My CPU is able to do 4k on its own, I just hoping to lessen the work load on it. Another way to not deal with transcoding is to direct play. World simplest answer. For me to do that, It will take me months to do since I have a lot of media, So that have to be a over time thing. If anyone wish to shine some light on this matter, do tell. But other than that. I will call this topic a close.

Edited by Yuya

moviefan

Well, I went to the plex forums to see if people had similar issues. They did. They also give out the reason why and how to deal with it. It seem like GPU transcoding is a no go on any type due to NVIDIA. To fix this problem that I have. Emby is not at fault. NVIDIA need to redo how their transcoding work. My CPU is able to do 4k on its own, I just hoping to lessen the work load on it. Another way to not deal with transcoding is to direct play. World simplest answer. For me to do that, It will take me months to do since I have a lot of media, So that have to be a over time thing. If anyone wish to shine some light on this matter, do tell. But other than that. I will call this topic a close.

Is it an option to just buy clients which are able to direct play your 4k/MKV files like an Nvidia Shield?  It's the only way you're gonna get HDR anyway.

• 1 month later...

unfortunately no. I even disable hardware acceleration, and put the bitrate to 1080p 30mb/s. I still get problems with transcoding. It came to the point where i just watch the video directly. its annoying to path find my way to the file but at least I get the max video quality when watching it (only on lan).

• 1 month later...

EY! UPDATE! After a long night, toying with the transcodeing setting. I somehow found a setting that work. Off course, with some help from the plex forums. Don't think its any relevant but my idea did begin from this. https://forums.plex.tv/t/hardware-accelerated-decode-nvidia-for-linux/233510

Within a few hours of my testing. I think this setting might work. I disable all preferred hardware decoders except for H.264 (AVC), and only have H.264 (AVC) enable for hardware encoder. Just an fyi, my emby is now in linux OS (Ubuntu 20.04)

With this. I am able to transcode in 4k at max bitrate now with no problem. One thing I did notice on the dashboard while transcodeing or under active devices. On the left side of the arrow, it say HEVC software an on the right is H.264 (AVC) NVENC/DEC. I thought HEVC is H.265 even doe I have H.264 selected. Or i'm just being an idiot and i'm missing something here.

Edited by Yuya
my grammar sucks!

Hi, the left side is the original file and the right side is what it's being transcoded to.  So that would mean the source was HEVC and was being converted to AVC.  It was DECODED in software and ENCODED in hardware.

Make sense?