rtfmoz

Upgraded to 4.4.1.0
Interface would not come up.
Stopped.

Cleared ../plugins

Started.

No effect.
Stopped.
Cleared plugins including subdirectory this time.
Started.
No change.
Went to log this error.
Checked back for error message.
And now its working.

Sent Synology logs to you.

Hope it helps.

Edited by rtfmoz

rtfmoz

For the above issue yes. Strange things are happening tho. I updated a user permission and Emby stopped responding. Then restarted I think. It was the video transcoding on/off flag for a user. Its ok now but i'm not sure if I should report these issues. I'm happy to help out anyway I can. Loads of IT experience, including linux command line.

Edited by rtfmoz

rtfmoz

I was trying to turn on audio transcoding and it just stopped responding. Looks like there is another error at 07:24:58. So the sequence of events was as follows.

Edit user rtfmoz on server console.

Audio/Video transcoding are turned off by default for this user.

Turn on Audio transcoding, save, console stops responding.

After some time it comes back again, looks like it restarted.

Go to the TV.

Bring up the Emby client on ATV4K and start the movie again.

Play the film and check there is audio this time.

Success. Now stop the film.

Go back to settings for the user,

Turn on video transcoding to see the impact.

Start the film again

Spinning wait logo..

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting.

Go back into server console, extremely slow.

After some time begins to respond again.

Transcoding in progress.

Video starts to play after about a minute of waiting.

Not good outcome, Stop video.

Go back to user setting, turn off video transcoding.

Go back to TV test, starts quickly.

Check server console, audio transcoding underway.

Edited by rtfmoz

Can we look at an example of what  is transcoding? Are you sure the NAS can handle it?

By the way, you're not going to get great results by restricting user access to transcoding. Content will likely fail to play. The general rule of thumb is, if Emby can play something without transcoding, it already will and you won't have to do anything to have that. 

So if your NAS can't handle the transcoding, then you're better off playing content that doesn't need transcoding rather than trying to disable it.

rtfmoz

Curious you say that. I didn't expect transcoding to begin with. The DS918+ is designed to run 24x7 on a 50w power draw. That should tell you something about its processing capabilities. There not really designed for huge workloads. Thankfully the Intel HD Graphics 500 is able to assist (see attached hardware detection) but I wasn't really expecting the device to be up to the task. The primary use case here is Emby Server (NAS) to Emby App (ATV4K) to Sony screen @ 4K. So I disabled transcoding off the bat when I setup the Emby Server. If you believe I don't need to do so then sure, I can turn it back on.

hardware_detection.zip

rtfmoz

Can we look at an example of what  is transcoding? Are you sure the NAS can handle it?

Pick any 1080p MKV encoded to x264 or x265. I've just started toying with 2160p MKV files. 

If the media needs transcoding and the machine isn't able to handle it, then as far as those options are concerned it's pick your poison. You either leave transcoding on and let it try, or disable it and get playback failures.

So in that situation, your best bet is to play media that doesn't need transcoding, or use an Emby app such as android or iOS that can play more formats without transcoding. The web app will be limited to whatever the browser supports.

rtfmoz

I created a seperate user called transcoder and tried him with the 25GB 4K film I’m watching now. It won’t play at all. Went back to original user with only audio transcoding allowed and works fine. I’ll probably create one or two other users with various options for testing.

rtfmoz

The general rule of thumb is, if Emby can play something without transcoding, it already will and you won't have to do anything to have that.

Thanks Luke. I suppose I was responding to your statement above.

If Emby is suppose to make decisions around transcoding how are these decisions made? In the case of 2160p its clearly not choosing to send it direct, when perhaps it should? How does it tell if the output is going to work? Or if the output will cost too much CPU to make it worthwhile? Does Emby do some transcoding tests on the local device to measure the impact? As in, does it run any self determination testing to better inform its encoding/decoding decisions? As for the transcoding options setup in a user profile, a 4K tickbox could be useful. Something like 4K allowed with the default set to no. 

Edited by rtfmoz

If Emby is suppose to make decisions around transcoding how are these decisions made?

By incorporating capabilities reported by the device you're playing from, as well as all possible in-app settings and server settings that might affect the decision making.