.bif Thumbnail Image Extraction -- Moving .bifs? Which Folder?

dapper
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dapper

I've been using the thumbnails in Emby for a while now --- so my entire 20TB library has .bif files made for every video file

My .bif files are currently saved in the media folders ("Save thumbnail images into media folders" is checked in the library options) -- which are on an HDD array.  I think this is causing performance issues, so I want to move the .bifs to my SSD array.

Preferably, I would have all the .bif files inside both the SSD array (as the actively 'in use' files) and in the HDD media folders (as nicely organized backups).

So I have a few questions:

1. Where does Emby save .bif files when you don't save them into media folders?  Metadata folder?  Cache Folder?  Program folder?

2. Is it possible for Emby to create .bif files that are in both the media folder AND the other folder?    (I assume not)

3. What happens when I uncheck the "Save thumbnail images into media folders" option in my library?   
    1. I assume any NEW .bif files are saved in the other folder?
    2. What happens to the old .bifs?
      1. Does Emby keep using the old Media Folder .bifs if they exist?
      2. Does Emby move the old Media Folder .bifs to the other folder?
      3. Does Emby delete the old .bifs?

4. Do I have to delete all my old Media Folder .bif files for Emby to populate (move or create) .bif files in the other folder?

5. Do I have to delete all my old Media Folder .bif files for Emby to actively use the .bif files in the other folder?

Thanks!

Where does Emby save .bif files when you don't save them into media folders?

Under the server's metadata folder.

Is it possible for Emby to create .bif files that are in both the media folder AND the other folder?    (I assume not)

No it's not.

What happens when I uncheck the "Save thumbnail images into media folders" option in my library?

5e8a2af36e7c9_Untitled.png

• Like 1

• Solution

1. Do I have to delete all my old Media Folder .bif files for Emby to populate (move or create) .bif files in the other folder?

2. Do I have to delete all my old Media Folder .bif files for Emby to actively use the .bif files in the other folder?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1