Firestick app cannot connect to remote server

gmtearne49

gmtearne49

Hi guys, as the title suggests I cannot connect my firestick to my remote emby server. 

I have tried with emby connect, ip address and url.

When doing manual entry it just says cannot connect, no error log, just returns to the entry form.

With connect it stays on the screen with the pin, then pressing next takes you to a screen that would normally list the servers and a add manual server and log out of connect button.

I realise that this is an issue with the "TV" app as sideloading the mobile app works. I understand the tv app has some nice features like OSD and quicker channel changing for live TV. Does it also show up as a play to device? Interestingly while the android mobile app on my phone shows as a play to device, the sideloaded one does not. 

Gaining play to would be my main objective, any hope of achieving this through the TV app or mobile app? My brothers iOS device on the same network as the firestick appears as a play to device even though I am on a separate network, so that would surely indicate that the network that contains the firestick is not the issue (I am sure it is certificate based)...I would like for my dad to be able to use emby on his laptop with the firestick as a play to client as his laptop navigates my large library easier and he is more familiar with it. God forbid he accidentally presses home and ends up back on the fire os home screen! Panic and confusion ensues lol

As a sidenote I tried loading the TV app on my mobile as I am not in the same location as the firestick and the same issue occurs, so it does not appear to be fire os dependent. The sideloaded apk is 3.1.9 (no play to). My android phone is running 3.1.12 (with play to) - I am guessing the issue isnt related to the 0.0.3 incremental version difference but platform related?

gmtearne49

Hi, yes it is my server, I manage it - it is located on a VPS, my current machine just didn't have the horsepower to transcode my 10bit HEVC content for the various clients I have that were unable to play it when I was a Plex user. When I went to the cloud I switched to Emby (from Jellyfin)

Hi, so this is your server meaning you manage it?

I did find this post previously and tried installing the certs on my android phone and then tried the TV app again but I didn't have any success, I might try it again, maybe I did something wrong and if I succeed either do it for my folks when I return home or convince my brother to give it a shot.
Accessing through URL in a browser only works via https, via the static IP I can connect via http but I get a security warning before hand that I can ignore and continue. I have tried both the IP and https://url but no joy thus far

Hi.  If you are trying to connect over HTTPS please try this.