98% of my Movie Metadata wiped, most of library being re-added as if it were new. Any idea what happened??

BlazedMonkey

khodges747

Just for troubleshooting:

I reverted back to 4.4.0.40 and ONLY THEN did the server start to rescan all my movies. This has been going on for well over an hour, the slowest scan I can ever remember. I can't detect any lost metadata (I have a lot of customized metadata) but my Collections have not returned.

Seems odd to me that going back to the version that worked yesterday is showing the same problems as the new one.

BTW, all my [boxset] folders are present in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections but it seems they're not being recognized.

Happy2Play

Just for troubleshooting:

I reverted back to 4.4.0.40 and ONLY THEN did the server start to rescan all my movies. This has been going on for well over an hour, the slowest scan I can ever remember. I can't detect any lost metadata (I have a lot of customized metadata) but my Collections have not returned.

Seems odd to me that going back to the version that worked yesterday is showing the same problems as the new one.

BTW, all my [boxset] folders are present in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections but it seems they're not being recognized.

I would almost guarantee there was a removal and re-add of that content type for some unknown reason as it does not affect everyone.

Collections, normal until all items are recognized, collections is probably the very last thing done in workflow.

Need to see server log.

Edited by Happy2Play

BlazedMonkey

So maybe this will provide some helpful clue, and maybe not:  Now Plex is having issues somewhat similar, but more limited.  All of my "Featurettes" are re-scanning and cycling through the "Latest Movies" section of plex, as they sometimes do when I add a new movie with a Featurettes folder.  Usually after the library scans a second time, it cleans everything up, and the extras get tucked properly into the movie where they belong.

So none of the actual movie metadata for Plex has been affected like Emby was, but all the Featurettes folders are being scanned as if they were new.  This _just_ started.

So hopefully that provides some helpful clue.

khodges747

@@Happy2Play

I would almost guarantee there was a removal and re-add of that content type for some unknown reason as it does not affect everyone.

Huh????

Collections, normal until all items are recognized, collections is probably the very last thing done in workflow.

It took 3 or 4 hours for the scan to complete, but it's done now and no Collections. And no Collections in the latest server version either.

Need to see server log.

Gladly.

So what's your contention? That we screwed this up by ourselves? It seems pretty obvious that a new server version came out and a bunch of people lost all their Collections and maybe a lot of metadata. But I guess it's our fault.

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

Only @@Luke could possibly explain, but as I speculated basically a content type purge and re-add.

Looks like it started here.

2020-04-04 13:07:08.762 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Movie

BlazedMonkey

So, I realize this may be the wrong place to ask, but is there a way to possibly export the "Date Added" info from Plex and import it into the "Date Added" info in Emby, so that once all my metadata is done downloading finally I can at least get stuff back in the proper order for my "Latest Movies" section?

naeyaert

Did you stop the scan from the previous version to load the beta?  If so, the damage was already done.  The server still needs to finish a complete scan even if this was fixed

Yeah but why did this "damage" my system in the first place?  Any why only "movies"?

Can someone please explain that?  Is this a bug as you're all talking like this is my problem when loads of others have reported this?

Cheers for the help, Rob

nicko84

so @@Luke @@ebr

what do you suggest to people who recently updated to 4.4.1.0 and luckily are not affected by this critical bug yet?

yes please because now it's a mess for people affected by this critical bug...like me...and no way till now to fix it

Edited by nicko84

FrostByte

Yeah but why did this "damage" my system in the first place?  Any why only "movies"?

Can someone please explain that?  Is this a bug as you're all talking like this is my problem when loads of others have reported this?

Cheers for the help, Rob

Aren't you the one who said earlier that you saw it was caused by a bug that is now fixed in the betas which is why you switched to now running the betas in the first place?  You've already answered your own question.  

Here's the release notes for the latest beta in case you needed.  

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

I've posted a few items for you in case that helps

Fix mixed folder movie detection
Fix multi-select refresh metadata
Fix automatic restart to avoid attempting to restart multiple times

I never said you were the only one, in fact I'm the one who pointed you to this thread which has several people with similar problems.  

Did you ever post your logs?  I see H2P asked for those a few times, but for some reason I'm not seeing them anywhere.  No one is going to be able to answer why this happened to you also unless they can see what happened.

Unless you have a backup of your library my suggestion is to just let the scanning process finish.  It's not going to matter which version of server you jump to if the db isn't complete

revengineer

Cheers for the help, Rob

Have you provided the log file to the devs so that they can look at the issue? I have not seen it posted or indicated that it was sent via pm.

horstepipe

So guys can anybody please tell whether it’s save to press „library scan“ or not? I recently updated to 4.4.1.0 from last stable and I‘m not sure whether I already did a library scan since the update. Now I‘m scared of running into the same problem when I push the button :-/

khodges747

I found a quick and easy way to bring back Collections.

In the web client, go to Library, find Collections (or Boxsets, or whatever), click on the 3 dots and select Refresh metadata, Search for missing metadata, and presto, a few seconds later you should see all your collections again.

• Like 1

nicko84

I found a quick and easy way to bring back Collections.

In the web client, go to Library, find Collections (or Boxsets, or whatever), click on the 3 dots and select Refresh metadata, Search for missing metadata, and presto, a few seconds later you should see all your collections again.

yes but no : no scan is launched, and collections remains empty.

So do the affected servers have anything in common? Like are you all using nfo files, or not?

It would be cool to know who's at risk before I go ahead and upgrade. I have a complete backup, but I'd really rather avoid the hassle, even though I (obviously) have plenty of time.

nicko84

So do the affected servers have anything in common? Like are you all using nfo files, or not?

It would be cool to know who's at risk before I go ahead and upgrade. I have a complete backup, but I'd really rather avoid the hassle, even though I (obviously) have plenty of time.

no nfo and i got problem with 4.4.1.0 : no collections anymore and a lot of movies have 04/04/20 as adding date but it's wrong

Edited by nicko84

khodges747

yes but no : no scan is launched, and collections remains empty.

Sorry that doesn't work for you. Try this instead (just a test).

Go to C:\Users\Your UserName\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections\ and open any folder that is labeled Collection Name [boxset]. If you find a file named collections.xml, open it in Notepad add a space to the 1st line, remove the space, then save the file (with the same name obviously). Now open your app again and check to see if that particular collection is there.

If it isn't there, I have no idea how to help you. If it is, one solution would be to go through and modify all collection.xml files. It's not quick, but if you only have a couple dozen collections it'll work.

As for your date added problem, I'm afraid I can't help you with that either. I use NFO files and when the server removes a movie from the database it just reads the NFO file when it scans it in again (although the scan takes for-fing-ever).

Let's just say something went seriously wrong with this server update, at least for some users. BTW, you can turn off automatic server updates in Settings.

• Like 1

FrostByte

To make scanning of your entire movies library a little faster stop the scan.  Uncheck the option to extract thumbs during library scan for movies library.  Then restart your scan.

After it's all done you can schedule a manual extraction of thumbs at your convenience and re-enable the option for future movies.

This won't make it light years faster, but maybe take a little of the pain away so that you can get up and running a little faster

AmericanCrisis

What the heck Emby!? I'm not happy. I don't have the time to toy around with this. I just want to the product to work. Now it's broken and I don't have time to fix it. It seems like every 3-6 months Emby folks try something new that ultimately breaks the functionality of the server. I've been a faithful monthly donor since before premier was a thing... I expect it to work and not be broken due to an update. I'm getting tired in my old age toying around with this server.

• Like 6

khodges747

What the heck Emby!? I'm not happy. I don't have the time to toy around with this. I just want to the product to work. Now it's broken and I don't have time to fix it. It seems like every 3-6 months Emby folks try something new that ultimately breaks the functionality of the server. I've been a faithful monthly donor since before premier was a thing... I expect it to work and not be broken due to an update. I'm getting tired in my old age toying around with this server.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 2

AmericanCrisis

I'm doing some digging and it looks isolated (so far) to a single folder (4k/UHD folder). Collections seem to be intact as well as other folders like movies, tv series, ect. It looks like it is just the images and to be even more specific it is just the "logo" that was removed. All the other metadata looks intact. Thank God I only have a few dozen files in that folder because I'm doing each file manually... is there a way to do all the files in the folder in one shot without having the server scan other folders?

Happy2Play

Why it happens to some and not all will/could be a mystery as no ones setups is the same and everyone updates history is exactly the same.

Personally I expect a possible rebuild with every major release, but devs try their best for that not to happen.

I am still surprised there are no Announcements for this version yet.  As there is a change in Sortname that could provide different result in a new vs old install.

Happy2Play

Pretty sure affected users are users that do not store metadata or images with media.  And previous times this happened, the same set of users had this issue.

The purge of item then re-adding causes all user that don't save with media to loose all metadata for the item to be deleted from the database and the corresponding database id linked image folder to be deleted as that id no longer exists.  Then the server starts over adding item with new id and new folder.

Ideally all users that do not save with media need to ensure the have a backup of the Emby programdata folder to easily restore databases and linked \metadata\library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx databaseid items.

• Like 3

Brendon

To answer this and a few other questions on this thread....

• I don't use .nfo files due to my own stuborness (or stupidity i guess) to let go of .xml lol

• Covers are all in the folders so they were all good and unchanged.

• While everything across the 20TB of movie drives was rescanned in, anything with an old .xml file is fine, anything without one has been rescanned in and shows as added on the 4/4/20.

• Most of the entries that got screwed up i found and fixed yesterday, there were a good 300 or so that i could find easily using 'sort by release date', the ones with bad metadata seemed to show as the oldest release, due to no date in the meta, there are going to be several i missed that way but not possible to sort through thousands of movies to find them so will fix as i come across each.

• As for the auto-update everyone keeps mentioning, i also had that turned off, no idea why this forced it's way onto my server.

• Cannot bring back collections no matter what i do, they are a wipe.

While it has annoyed the absolute shit out of me, lesson has been learned, let go of old methods and use the .nfo files even if the mess they make of my folders does my head in lol relying on the db alone is a bad idea.

Edited by Brendon
  • Like 1