3rd party Notifications

DGMayor

DGMayor

Luke, ever consider 3rd party notification utilities such as Prowl, Growl, Boxcar, NotifyMyAndroid, Pushover, etc etc.  Would nice to be able to configure one of these to have the server notifications pushed to your device of choice.

• Like 1

DGMayor

I use Growl a lot with Sickbeard. I'd love to see this in MB3.

I highlighted my preference in my post :)

Scott has plans to build a push notification plugin that can send notifications to android, ios and windows mobile devices. I'm not sure when he's planning on doing that though. Show him some love when his phone app gets into the store and maybe he'll work faster. 

swhitmore

Show him some love when his phone app gets into the store and maybe he'll work faster. 

His phone app is bloody amazing, can't wait to see it finished.

trooper11

Notifications would be a great plug in addition.  I'll definitely be supporting the WP app, its been great to test out.

johnchimpo

I've been using Growl in WMC/MB for the last year along with SickBeard, SAB, and CouchPotato - its very useful. Still works in MBC as well and I haven't made any changes. 

If I could remember where the walkthrough for it was I would link it in for any curious people, but I believe it was on the old MB Forum.

swhitmore

I've been using Growl in WMC/MB for the last year along with SickBeard, SAB, and CouchPotato - its very useful. Still works in MBC as well and I haven't made any changes. 

If I could remember where the walkthrough for it was I would link it in for any curious people, but I believe it was on the old MB Forum.

Yeah Chef was working on it. I can't remember where he left it. Here is the link: http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/r/9970/41488/new-content-notification#41488

CBers

What sort of notifications, other than a restart if server required, are people talking about?

Most, if not all, clients already have a built-in notification for a server restart.

swhitmore

What sort of notifications, other than a restart if server required, are people talking about?

Most, if not all, clients already have a built-in notification for a server restart.

The ones you see in the web UI.

DGMayor

I'm specifically thinking of receiving these notifications on a device (phone, tablet etc), not necessarily in WMC.

For Example, I use NotifyMyAndroid with SickBeard, CouchPotato and a few other apps, so whenever something is downloaded, I receive a notification.  There are websites that also support it so when they update a news post, I'll be notified.  When CouchPotato updates, it notifies me.    MB3 Server already has a nice notification service where the devs can push notifications such as "hey check out our new forum" and "hey the IOS client is now available in the apple store!"  It would be nice to get these notifications on my devices.    Not everyone is going to load the web client on a daily basis.  

CBers

I'm specifically thinking of receiving these notifications on a device (phone, tablet etc), not necessarily in WMC.

For Example, I use NotifyMyAndroid with SickBeard, CouchPotato and a few other apps, so whenever something is downloaded, I receive a notification.  There are websites that also support it so when they update a news post, I'll be notified.  When CouchPotato updates, it notifies me.    MB3 Server already has a nice notification service where the devs can push notifications such as "hey check out our new forum" and "hey the IOS client is now available in the apple store!"  It would be nice to get these notifications on my devices.    Not everyone is going to load the web client on a daily basis.  

Don't you get fed up with the amount of notifications you receive ;)

ScottIsAFool

Just to reiterate what Luke said, Push notifications is something I'll be looking at as a plugin for the server, and then talking to all the mobile devs about, cos they'll need to hook up to it too. It's in our plans guys :)

DGMayor

Don't you get fed up with the amount of notifications you receive ;)

Not really.  I only receive the ones I want to receive.  The rest of the apps that do notifications I generally disable them if I don't want them.

sfnetwork

That would be the wonderful part of this kind of plugin; it would be configurable and other parts/plugins could use it ("new media added" - Enable/disable notification, "MB Server notifications" - Enable/disable notification, etc....) and I would also add Email notification (SMTP).

Anyways, +1 for this. I would love also to get a Prowl notification if server restart is required (or actually, it it was restarted)

• 3 years later...