MB3 constantly changes my primary images for TV shows to banners

im85288
Go to solution Solved by im85288,

im85288

I had this and reported it way back. It's still happening now too. The only "workaround" I have found is to actually copy the poster.jpg and call it folder.jpg. This will prevent it getting overwritten on the next scan.

allen00se

So I recently started using the new iPad MB3 app (which is amazing) and I noticed that the TV shows page was using a banner image instead of a poster image for the TV shows. This doesn't work well since the app is meant to use posters. I realized what was causing this problem was the metadata manager shows that my "primary" image is a banner. I went through and painstakingly changed all of the primary images to posters (which it turns out is the default images that show up when I click "browse online images") only to have MB3 go back and change all of my primary images back to banners.....

What is causing this and how do I stop it?

thanks,

Krys

If someone can post some concrete info that will make it easier to chase it down. For instance, what exactly the folder looks like, and also, a repeatable situation that can trigger the problem. Thanks.

yardameus

The poster should be called folder.jpg.  Are you using a different metadata provider that is naming it poster.jpg instead?  

Is it xbmc or some other metedata fetching program besides mb3 at work here causing this problem?

@@yardameus you are wrong, see below:

--- Old format ( has folder.jpg )

UgN0fiK.png

--- New format ( no folder.jpg )

XtAYykn.png

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

yardameus

My mistake, using the standard metadata fetching, it downloads and saves as folder.

53bb307d9cc51_Capture5.jpg

In compatible plex/xbmc mode, it saves as poster. 

Is this solely an issue with the iPad app?  As in, does it not recognize poster.jpg and so then defaults to banner as the next compatible image?

Edited by yardameus

Theres nothing wrong with the filenames. What they're saying is that theres some kind of overwriting happening

yea we support a number of different aliases for the primary image, folder.ext, poster.ext, and a few others, so it doesnt' really matter which one is used.

• Like 1

im85288

I'm not sure what extra information to provide from what I have already provided. The pattern happens repeatedly, in that only the presence of the folder.jpg prevents the poster.jpg from being altered automatically to a banner image.

I recently added a new TV Show called Rectify,  doing a complete refresh generates the images as mentioned above (this is in plex/xbmc compatible mode)..so no folder.jpg 

Everything remains fine until an automated check is made on those files (is this nightly?) where it for some reason decides to overwrite the poster.jpg with an image that should be in banner.jpg. The only way I have found to stop this happening is by manually putting a folder.jpg file there.

Could this not be solved by creating a folder.jpg in addition to the poster.jpg in the scraper? It would do no harm and solve it for those of us experiencing this problem.

Can you figure out the origin of the banner image?  I mean, can you tell if that particular image is coming from FanArt or tmdb?

Other additional information that would help would be a server log file from when one of these "replaces" occurred and the name of the item that was affected.

im85288

I have deleted the folder.jpg and will keep an eye for it changing tomorrow sometime. This is the bit where I am not sure what to do to force the images to get updated. I tried to run a manual library scan but everything remains correct. Would you happen to know what triggers the automatic update that seems to occur during the night? 

Nothing other than library scans.  However, I think the providers download updates from the internet once every 24 hours so that may be what triggers it.

vidkun

I'm not sure what extra information to provide from what I have already provided. The pattern happens repeatedly, in that only the presence of the folder.jpg prevents the poster.jpg from being altered automatically to a banner image.

I recently added a new TV Show called Rectify,  doing a complete refresh generates the images as mentioned above (this is in plex/xbmc compatible mode)..so no folder.jpg 

Everything remains fine until an automated check is made on those files (is this nightly?) where it for some reason decides to overwrite the poster.jpg with an image that should be in banner.jpg. The only way I have found to stop this happening is by manually putting a folder.jpg file there.

Could this not be solved by creating a folder.jpg in addition to the poster.jpg in the scraper? It would do no harm and solve it for those of us experiencing this problem.

This pretty much explains my issue dead on. Adding a new show, it auto pulls down a poster.jpg that contains a banner image. This appears to match up with the same image used in the auto pulled down banner.jpg as well. Manually editing images in metadata manager to pull down the new, correct poster image will pull down the correct image into poster.jpg. Waiting happens and eventually this reverts back to the banner image again. Never timed it so it may be nightly like mentioned. To 'fix' this issue, I manually pull down the correct poster image again, copy poster.jpg to folder.jpg. Everything stays correct after this.

if you can find a server log from when it happened, that would be helpful.

• Solution
im85288

Well the problem did not happen as it used to, so thinking more logically about this I have switched from using SickBeard to NZBDrone for TV Shows. @@vidkun also uses SickBeard so that is most likely the cause of this unwanted side effect.

• Like 1

vidkun

Well it has been a few days now. Long enough for this to have come back if it was going to. Changing SickBeard to not download 'series banner' seems to have a resolved this issue. You were right; it is not an MBS issue. My apologies.