Recording of IPTV VOD

karibi

karibi

I am a complete newbie at this so I would very much appreciate some guidance.

I have an interest in recording IPTV, specifically their VOD channels. My reasoning behind this is that I live in South Africa and my international internet connection speed is limited during peak viewing times, hence the desire to record during the off-peak period so I can watch in the evenings.

I have installed the Emby server and client and have a suitable M3U file list and have configured LiveTV. The problem I am having is how do I record as I don’t have any EPG.

Are I correct in assuming that I must have an EPG to record? If so, is it sensible to take the M3U file list and create an artificial XMLTV file and effectively fake an EPG? I am not averse to writing some code to parse the M3U. Just trying to understand what is the best approach, and whether there are any 3rd party tools to assist.

Guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there, currently yes you need an EPG to record but we plan to support manual recordings in the future.

For now there is software called xteve that you could look at to help you create a dummy EPG.

• Agree 1

Spaceboy

I am a complete newbie at this so I would very much appreciate some guidance.

I have an interest in recording IPTV, specifically their VOD channels. My reasoning behind this is that I live in South Africa and my international internet connection speed is limited during peak viewing times, hence the desire to record during the off-peak period so I can watch in the evenings.

I have installed the Emby server and client and have a suitable M3U file list and have configured LiveTV. The problem I am having is how do I record as I don’t have any EPG.

Are I correct in assuming that I must have an EPG to record? If so, is it sensible to take the M3U file list and create an artificial XMLTV file and effectively fake an EPG? I am not averse to writing some code to parse the M3U. Just trying to understand what is the best approach, and whether there are any 3rd party tools to assist.

Guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

id suggest 2 options

Xteve does the editing of provider m3u and provision of dummy epg

But if you’re looking at vod id suggest editing the m3u so you just get the download links and then chucking that resulting text file into some program that does downloading of multiple files. Myself I went with Synologys download station

karibi

Thanks to both Luke and Spaceboy. I do like the idea of being able to extract the link and download directly as I am running on a QNAP. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to both Luke and Spaceboy. I do like the idea of being able to extract the link and download directly as I am running on a QNAP.

Many vod streams may just download the entire file if you go to the url in a browser. Not all, as some are served as ts streams but of my 5 providers, 4 can be downloaded as normal files just by loading the stream url in a browser. Just thought i should point this out.

Spaceboy

Many vod streams may just download the entire file if you go to the url in a browser. Not all, as some are served as ts streams but of my 5 providers, 4 can be downloaded as normal files just by loading the stream url in a browser. Just thought i should point this out.

well that’s essentially what i suggested except I was suggesting a way of queuing them all up rather than one at a time