BluRay playlist support

sjpotter

We use ffprobe, maybe you can determine why it isn't able to see the subtitle languages?

SikSlayer

Really hope this is something that can be added, looks like the ducks are starting to line up in a row.  :)

sjpotter

I should note that only editing the first PMT packet read isn't strictly correct from an mpeg-ts perspective, but it seems ffmpeg and the like only really care about the first one (at least from my experience) and I'm trying to be the least disruptive to the stream as possible.

sjpotter

others should try it, this is really just in the state of being POC right now.  I'm pondering if a fuse file system is a better approach to providing it.  in all cases (strm to http server or fuse filesystem that provides m2ts files directly) I'd want a way to add metadata (track description and chapter) that can't be encoded into the file (or at least I haven't figured out yet how)

sjpotter

and experimenting with mkv with chapters and track names,  emby doesn't seem to export that info (at least with a simple test).  VLC does show it (and experience though haven't tested in a long time) is that mpc-hc (and its derivatives) do as well

Edited by sjpotter

sjpotter

so tested with upnp support in kodi.

1) I think the primary issue I had with language was because emby cached the data from before I updated my code to add support for all tracks

as I had moved my iso so test failed, when I updated the strm file to new iso location, it picked up most of the languages

2) it was able to play my UHD of Rogue One to my android TV without any transcoding (but as I my android TV doesn't have ethernet, just wifi, its a choppy experence)

3) I played a remuxed MKV with track descriptions and in kodi I see them in the audio selection screen, its just the web app that doesn't export that info I guess (either that, or emby is exporting the whole mkv to kodi via upnp and hence kodi is processing the mkv directly?)

and now back to my real job

sjpotter

also, while I add a language to every m2ts pid, there are "sub tracks" (dont know correct term.  i.e. truehd has an embeded ac3 track.  ffprobe breaks this out as another track, but doesn't carry over my language tag to it.

• 1 year later...
Jeoiseon

really hope emby can support bluray. I use pt sites to download movies, most of which are Blu-ray files instead of mkv files. Kodi and infuse are able to recognize and play the Blu-ray files directly, while Emby can only recognize some of them. Thus if i use emby to manage my movies and make kodi and infuse to connect to emby server, they will not be able to play the blu-ray files.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

As I read through this thread I was hopeful.   Has there been any more progress here?   While I see many benefits to Emby, not being able to play dvd, bluray or uhd files easily is a big drawback.   Thanks.

22 minutes ago, rbknox said:

uhd files

Hi.  We support UHD.

Disc formats are a different issue though as no streaming device will support those.

sjpotter
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We support UHD.

Disc formats are a different issue though as no streaming device will support those.

except this (i.e. the github project I linked above: https://github.com/sjpotter/bluray-http-server)  is a demonstration of how any streaming device can support it.  i.e. just like if playing a file that isn't supported but whose codecs are, you remux on the fly, this poc demonstrates that the same can be done with discs.

i.e. all user has to do is provide metadata that maps a program (dvd, though I believe dvd isn't as nice for this as bluray, as the mepg program concept mixes instructions and video data into the same stream, which makes predictability hard to impossible)) or a playlist (bluray) to a title and you can treat that as a file.

I really think people get hung up on the concept that if its a disc "if it's a disc, we'd have to stream the menus and that just doesn't work", when one doesn't.  one just has to be able to use specified playlists.

think of it this way, imagine a user had a cue file for a cd image.  There's no real reason why you couldn't use the cue file to stream individual tracks.  (maybe you do support it?)  this is the same.

Edited by sjpotter
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, sjpotter said:

except this (i.e. the github project I linked above: https://github.com/sjpotter/bluray-http-server)  is a demonstration of how any streaming device can support it.  i.e. just like if playing a file that isn't supported but whose codecs are, you remux on the fly, this poc demonstrates that the same can be done with discs.

i.e. all user has to do is provide metadata that maps a program (dvd, though I believe dvd isn't as nice for this as bluray, as the mepg program concept mixes instructions and video data into the same stream, which makes predictability hard to impossible)) or a playlist (bluray) to a title and you can treat that as a file.

I really think people get hung up on the concept that if its a disc "if it's a disc, we'd have to stream the menus and that just doesn't work", when one doesn't.  one just has to be able to use specified playlists.

think of it this way, imagine a user had a cue file for a cd image.  There's no real reason why you couldn't use the cue file to stream individual tracks.  (maybe you do support it?)  this is the same.

Hi.  But then you have to ask how many people will actually need or take advantage of that.  Most of the time, when people ask for support of disc structures, they want the menu systems involved with them.  If all we're going to do is try and interpret the playlist and stream the main feature (which, BTW, would not really be a straightforward undertaking) then why not just use one of the available tools to convert that feature to a file format? 

This isn't out of the realm of possibility but I'm afraid the number of people who would need this functionality would be very small these days.

sjpotter
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  But then you have to ask how many people will actually need or take advantage of that.  Most of the time, when people ask for support of disc structures, they want the menu systems involved with them.  If all we're going to do is try and interpret the playlist and stream the main feature (which, BTW, would not really be a straightforward undertaking) then why not just use one of the available tools to convert that feature to a file format? 

This isn't out of the realm of possibility but I'm afraid the number of people who would need this functionality would be very small these days.

so I gave a couple of reasons why.

1) some people want to store the full optical media (say on their nas), i.e. its the "source of truth" and should be able to used as such

2) seamless branching.  if I want to have a theatrical and director's cut of a movie that is stored on disc as seamless branching, I have to waste a lot of space if I would remux both of the

3) remux is actually changing the content, in a way that is just suspectible to bugs.  i.e. there have been numerous bugs in MakeMKV/mkvtoolnix and the like over the years that have required people to rerip their content. In general they work well, but requiring an extra step that isn't required and can be done dynamically on demand, is in my opinion "better"(tm).

with that said, yes, if I were the PM of emby, I'm not sure how much I'd prioritize such a thing, as its a bit of a niche feature (I personally think its valuable for reasons I enumerated, but I think many users wouldn't value it as much, i.e. they are either happy doing things the way they do them, they get media in non disc forms from various sources, so don't care or simply don't value the things I enumerated)

I also think users who want menus to be streamed, don't understand the type of software emby/plex/jellyfin are, but that's a different story.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, sjpotter said:

2) seamless branching.  if I want to have a theatrical and director's cut of a movie that is stored on disc as seamless branching, I have to waste a lot of space if I would remux both of the

To note - The MKV container does support seamless branching...  but to the best of my knowledge, no common MKV toolsets utilise this feature.

External Link to MakeMkv thread on it ..

Edited by rbjtech

sjpotter
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

To note - The MKV container does support seamless branching...  but to the best of my knowledge, no common MKV toolsets utilise this feature.

External Link to MakeMkv thread on it ..

yes, I know, its still a pain to use. and its not really "seamless" (in terms of usage).  It seems its keeping multiple mkv files around.  not the cleanest setup.  much more natural in disc form. (at least imho).

• Agree 1

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, sjpotter said:

yes, I know, its still a pain to use. and its not really "seamless" (in terms of usage).  It seems its keeping multiple mkv files around.  not the cleanest setup.  much more natural in disc form. (at least imho).

MKV uses a concept called 'EDITIONS' to do the seamless branching inside a single file.  So the multi file option is there yes, but it's not what should be used for typical 'branching' of the same movie but different cuts (or editions).  The multi-file is more of a 'merging' ability - so you can use the same file inserted into the content - think 'Dolby Intro' etc in each movie - this could be replaced with a single file for all in an extreme example.

Has anybody done this - very very few - it think it boils down (again) to the effort vs the gain and the actual player support to use the branching.  In this regard, it is no different to MT2S support...nobody is interested in developing it because nobody uses that feature ..

Edited by rbjtech

sjpotter
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

MKV uses a concept called 'EDITIONS' to do the seamless branching inside a single file.  So the multi file option is there yes, but it's not what should be used for typical 'branching' of the same movie but different cuts (or editions).  The multi-file is more of a 'merging' ability - so you can use the same file inserted into the content - think 'Dolby Intro' etc in each movie - this could be replaced with a single file for all in an extreme example.

Has anybody done this - very very few - it think it boils down (again) to the effort vs the gain and the actual player support to use the branching.  In this regard, it is no different to MT2S support...nobody is interested in developing it because nobody uses that feature ..

except, for the fact that I did build something that does it.  I just don't have the ability to integrate it into emby "nicely".  I'd also note that m2ts file works perfectly fine in emby (heck, that's the way my mechanism works, its tricks emby into thinking playlists are m2ts files and treats the playlist as a seekable m2ts file)

rbjtech

tbh I think it's a cool project.  We know there are free tools out there to create these seemless branched MKV's - so if it's a case of doing something relatively simple to tell emby which branch to use on the server side, then it's probably something which the emby Dev's may want to include.  If it needs large modifications on the server and all the clients (for example) then for the tiny minority that want to 'play' - it is not worth their effort - which I think is fair enough.

JasonNalley
On 4/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, crusher11 said:

Playlists would be helpful for movies that use seamless branching to include multiple cuts. Having to have the full movie on my server multiple times is a bit of a pain.

I know this is old, but if Emby supports ordered chapters (Not sure if it does), or could include support for ordered chapters, this issue becomes moot.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, curious what the current state of all this discussion is.   I noticed recently that I can now play my blu-ray titles (ripped folders) - seem to work well, can change audio format etc.   Was something implemented to accommodate?    And, while my bd experience is now good, dvd experience is terrible - trying to play a dvd from ripped folder just hangs up Emby Theater.

5 minutes ago, rbknox said:

Hi, curious what the current state of all this discussion is.   I noticed recently that I can now play my blu-ray titles (ripped folders) - seem to work well, can change audio format etc.   Was something implemented to accommodate?    And, while my bd experience is now good, dvd experience is terrible - trying to play a dvd from ripped folder just hangs up Emby Theater.

Hi, not much has changed.  Even if small incremental improvements are made, we still suggest converting to mkv for the best possible experience.

• 2 months later...
xingyu
On 4/13/2020 at 4:36 AM, Luke said:

We use ffprobe, maybe you can determine why it isn't able to see the subtitle languages?

Because most of the language information of audio tracks and subtitles in m2fs files is not stored in m2ts, but in the corresponding clpi files in the CLIPINF folder.

And the structure of the clpi file is quite simple.

BDMV
├── AUXDATA
│   └── info.txt
├── CLIPINF
│   ├── 00000.clpi
│   ├── 00019.clpi
│   ├── 00025.clpi
│   ├── 00026.clpi
│   ├── 00028.clpi
│   ├── 00031.clpi
│   ├── 00032.clpi
│   ├── 00037.clpi