I do not want any trans-coding.

paxnn
Go to solution Solved by paxnn,

I have an LG tv with a built in media player. I have processed my library to work with dlna. I use SmartShare from LG. Simple. What do I have to do to insure that no transcoding is done when using the EMBY server.

Edited by paxnn

OK , lets look at the Profile page....All I can do is upload a photo of me....Wait...It's April 1...April Fools Days...Not funny Jdiesel !

Edited by paxnn

You've actually done all you need to.  If your media is truly playable without transcoding, then it will play that way.

You can disable transcoding privileges in user setup, but, this isn't necessary if your media is truly direct playable.

You've actually done all you need to. If your media is truly playable without transcoding, then it will play that way.

You can disable transcoding privileges in user setup, but, this isn't necessary if your media is truly direct playable.

Exactly...all my conversions are done by scripts I have cobbled together. If Emby just transcodes the video, it's covering up an error/s in my scripts.

Ebr why do I have to explain this to you?

I just want help turning all transcoding off.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

iinthesky73

You've actually done all you need to.  If your media is truly playable without transcoding, then it will play that way.

What criteria determines if the video is playable without transcoding? Is this determined by the capabilities/codecs present on the client side?

Is this determined by the capabilities/codecs present on the client side?

Yes.

If you're not going to read people's posts, they can't help you.

What? ebr was not helping me. He was adding another post to his total.

Jdiesel

In case you may have missed it you need to go to the Server Dashboard, Users, Profile screen to disable transcoding. This will be on a per-user basis so you will need to do it for each user if you have multiple.

If you media is indeed direct play there is no need to do this as the client app is smart enough to direct play if the media supports it. The risk with flat out disabling transcoding with the directions above is that unsupported media with just fail to play all together.

ebr and Jdiesel both answered your qu

ebr and Jdiesel both answered your question.

From Jdiesel - Use the Profile page.....I looked at my Profile page in the server....could only upload a picture file.

From ebr - disable transcoding privileges in user setup - where is this? nothing found in searching Emby.

crusher11

The fact that you can't follow the instructions doesn't mean they're wrong.

User setup is in your "Manage Server" page.

server > settings > profile --- no that is not it....

server > settings > Dashboard --- no that is not it....

server > settings > dlna > profiles --  that is IT ...

There are no permissions to stop transcoding...

I  have setup a custom profile for the LG WebOS...

Setup the TV as if it can play EVERYTHING...

Now for testing.

None of you were any help. I would guess none of you have ever try to do it.

Golden Rule of customer support...Keep silent if you don't have a working and tested answer.

Happy2Play

But if it is transcoding media no, disabling that option will technically create/attempt to play a none compatible file.  Transcoding happens for a reason.  What reason is provided for the files that you are playing?

In case you may have missed it you need to go to the Server Dashboard, Users, Profile screen to disable transcoding. This will be on a per-user basis so you will need to do it for each user if you have multiple.

If you media is indeed direct play there is no need to do this as the client app is smart enough to direct play if the media supports it. The risk with flat out disabling transcoding with the directions above is that unsupported media with just fail to play all together.

quote -"you need to go to the Server Dashboard, Users, Profile screen to disable transcoding"- quote

No you are gave made up advice. It was the Device Profile, which is independent of Users, and NOT a per-user basis.

"If you(sic) media is indeed direct play"

First I got the TV 3 months ago, Second I learned just 2 weeks ago that a full UHD Dolby Vision Rip will directly play on the TV, with the TV recognizing and using Dolby Vision. I have been writing scripts to convert my existing videos since then. IT WORKS - "indeed" - it does. If you doubt me, just tell me how I can prove it to you? I do not like you, but I always share information with others. I have been helped on better websites and better people than on this one.

I am still testing the limits of the LG WebOS, I need it to fail so I know what works and what fails, if Emby is transcoding the test videos the LG will not fail and nothing is learned 

Happy2Play

No need to argue as the advise was absolutely correct.

There is no server config/setting to stop TRANSCODING.  There is a per user setting to not allow them to be able to transcode, but can make media that needs transcoding unplayable.

If that is not happening then you need to provide all required information to troubleshoot the issue.

How to Report a Problem

Happy2Play

My Profile page:

5e86457a77944_Profile.jpg

That is not the same as Post 16.  You need the Administrative options for user profile not the user profile.  Go to Dashboard-Users and select the user.

Edited by Happy2Play

Looks like I have a broken copy of Emby, the screenshots are a "little" different.

Edited by paxnn

darkassassin07

5e863e03b7cba_Capture.png

Go have a look at this image again. Specifically the red circles.

Look reaalllly close and figure out how you failed to follow the very basic instructions given to you by multiple people that have done nothing but try and help you and in return had been insulted and called liars.

Really mate? Take a fucking look at yourself.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 3