37 replies to this topic

#1 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52011 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:18 PM

Calling all beta testers - with 3.0.217 we need you to verify all subtitle functionality that was working before is still working now - especially while transcoding.

Please create a post in this forum section if you encounter any problems.

Thanks!

#2 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 AM
  • LocationEarth, Milky Way

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

From the little testing I’ve done, subtitles seem to work fine, but there are a few things that I have noticed.

Firstly, when subtitles are turned on, the Roku media player does not automatically turn subtitles on and requires you to press the * button and enable the subtitles. This used to be automatic.

Secondly, when subtitles are disabled from the OSD, the stream always has to reload, even if the subtitles were from an SRT which don’t require a stream reload to enable.

That is what I have noticed so far, but I will continue to test to see if anything else comes up with and without transcoding.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157008 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

Firstly, when subtitles are turned on, the Roku media player does not automatically turn subtitles on and requires you to press the * button and enable the subtitles. This used to be automatic.

Does it remember the next time you play?

#4 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

Does it remember the next time you play?

It does, which could be the intentional behaviour, but if I remember correctly, it didn’t use to behave like that. This only seems to apply to pre playback selection though, changing subtitles in the OSD correctly enables/disables subtitles.

As per the stream reload when deactivating subtitles I mentioned in my post above, it only seems to happen on media that have both internal and external subs. But then, as I tested different movies that have both internal and externals, as well as those who only have external, the ones with only external subs switch properly from the OSD. The ones with a mix of both internal and external suns do not, and seem to fail to properly switch from internal subs to external ones.

Edited by samuelqwe, 01 April 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52011 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the reports.  I'm not surprised there are a few hiccups.

@speechles, can you please look at seeing if you can iron out these exact conditions?

[subtitles not being turned on] only seems to apply to pre playback selection though, changing subtitles in the OSD correctly enables/disables subtitles.

The ones with a mix of both internal and external subs do not, and seem to fail to properly switch from internal subs to external ones.

#6 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6088 posts
  • Local time: 05:20 AM

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

@ebr gotcha. will edit this post when I get it complete.  ;)

Edited by speechles, 01 April 2020 - 07:47 PM.

#7 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:18 PM

I very rarely use subs as I speak, mostly, most of the languages I have movies in but I do have a few in languages I do not understand very well or in the case of one Swedish movie at all. I seem to be unable to grasp any of the Scandinavian languages. I will take a look over the next few days at that movie and a few others.

All my subs are either in external srt files or they are embedded in MKV files. Several of the movies that do have subs have them actually burned into the video. All the Star Wars movies that have subs for some parts have had that done and that is also true for most of the Godzilla movies as I have trouble following the rapid Japanese that is often used.

I have looked, briefly, at one of my movies with subs. The subs are contained in an MKV file and they work perfectly.

I will report, as I have time, if I run into problems.

#8 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52011 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

Please test again with 218.

Thanks!

#9 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

In 3.0.218, subtitles chosen before playback seem to work great. It now properly enables subtitles in the media player. However, I’ve noticed that when there are multiple external SRT subtitles, it picks the wrong one. For example, choosing either my French or English SRT always results in the French one being chosen. Changing between those in the OSD works.

Switching between text subtitles and turning them off from the OSD works without the stream having to reload. Great work here! I’ve only seen the stream reload when trying to choose an external SRT file from the OSD when you’re currently on internal subtiles or no subtitles, and that you only have one external SRT. When choosing the external SRT, the stream always reloads, but never actually turns on those specific subtitles. In fact, it just turns off the subtitles all together.

Both those issues lead me to believe there is an issue with the Roku app selecting the proper subtitle index for external SRTs somewhere in the code. I haven’t seen this issue for internal subs.

———
I have one other issue with the Roku app. It’s unrelated to subtitles, but I figured you guys could take a look at it while you’re fixing the subtitles behaviour. Anyways, with media that have multiple versions, the detail page always defaults to showing the first version in the list on the dropdown menu, even though when you select to change the version, the other version is actually the one selected in the list. And then once you switch between the different versions, the audio dropdown (and occasionally subtitles) will exhibit the same issue if that version has multiple audio tracks.

Thanks for all the great work you guys have done on this app!

Edited by samuelqwe, 04 April 2020 - 05:55 PM.

#10 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52011 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Okay, please try 220 with subs both internal and external both direct playing and transcoding.

Thanks!

#11 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

Okay, please try 220 with subs both internal and external both direct playing and transcoding.

Did some tests, and generally, switching subtitles works. Choosing subtitles before playback always works in my testing, and switching during playback usually works.

I am still seeing an issue on certain movies when switching to external subs during playback. The stream always reloads and the subtitles are turned off. Although, this issue only seems to happen with media that has multiple audio tracks. Movies that only had a single audio track let me switch between any subtitles (internal or external) during playback without issues. Also, switching to internal subtitles or no subtitles, even on movies with multiple audio tracks, works properly. It just doesn’t work right when switching to external subtitles.

I haven’t noticed any behaviour differences between direct play and transcoding in my testing.

Edited by samuelqwe, 08 April 2020 - 03:25 PM.

#12 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6088 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:09 PM

Did some tests, and generally, switching subtitles works. Choosing subtitles before playback always works in my testing, and switching during playback usually works.

I am still seeing an issue on certain movies when switching to external subs during playback. The stream always reloads and the subtitles are turned off. Although, this issue only seems to happen with media that has multiple audio tracks. Movies that only had a single audio track let me switch between any subtitles (internal or external) during playback without issues. Also, switching to internal subtitles or no subtitles, even on movies with multiple audio tracks, works properly. It just doesn’t work right when switching to external subtitles.

I haven’t noticed any behaviour differences between direct play and transcoding in my testing.

What type of external subtitles is it fail to render? I want to test with exactly the same. Thanks. ;)

Is this part of a play queue and a subsequent item that fails? Or are all your tests with single items just playing single items?

Can you test with episodes with automatically queue next episodes enabled or use a playlist and test? We want all the bugs squashed. Thanks again.  :)

Edited by speechles, 08 April 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#13 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:16 PM

What type of external subtitles is it fail to render? I want to test with exactly the same. Thanks. ;)

Is this part of a play queue and a subsequent item that fails? Or are all your tests with single items just playing single items?
Can you test with episodes with automatically queue next episodes enabled or use a playlist and test? We want to cover every case. Thanks again.

I’m just testing with regular external SRTs. They do work when you select them before playback, but when you switch to them during playback (with media that has multiple audio tracks), it fails to properly switch and just turns off the subtitles.

I’ve been only been testing on single movies, but I can try on shows as well.

EDIT: Tried with shows in a playlist, everything works fine and subtitles turn on according to my settings. Like I said, I only ever encounter the issue on media with multiple audio tracks, which none of my shows have, but a lot of my movies do. It also only happens when I switch during playback, while everything works fine when selected before playback.

Edited by samuelqwe, 08 April 2020 - 05:31 PM.

#14 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6088 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

Okay. Testing on an item with 2 tracks. Also threw a single external SRT. Now started it with nothing selected. Just let it play in the language it chooses and subtitles set to off. Then when it plays I turn on subtitles. They show. Next I Choose the alternate audio track while it plays. Subtitles still show via the external SRT. It is as if nothing changed. It works as expected. Change back to original audio track it still plays the subtitles. I don't see an issue here.

Are you doing anything differently than me because for me it works just fine.. lol. There must be something different you do.

Do your movies play in cinema mode with trailers in front? That might be the difference. It is a playlist in that case. How are you choosing to name the tracks? Let Emby name them or name them how they are in the file?

Edited by speechles, 08 April 2020 - 05:37 PM.

#15 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52011 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

I’m just testing with regular external SRTs. They do work when you select them before playback, but when you switch to them during playback (with media that has multiple audio tracks), it fails to properly switch and just turns off the subtitles.

There must be another factor as I also cannot reproduce this.

Can you please start this one item, turn on the subs that don't work, wait just a second or two, then back out and send the log from the app?

Thanks.

#16 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:24 PM

Do your movies play in cinema mode with trailers in front? That might be the difference. It is a playlist in that case. How are you choosing to name the tracks? Let Emby name them or name them how they are in the file?

No cinema mode and I let Emby name the tracks. Movies that have the issue have both a Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. For my testing, I set the audio to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track and the media is direct streaming/remuxed (which is weird because I always expected the Roku to be able to play DD5.1 correctly).

Just for some extra information, pretty much all my movies are in the following format: MKV container, H264 1080p video, have both a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track and a Dolby 5.1 track, and they contain various subtitles of different formats (I’ve ignored anything other than SUBRIP, because PGS requires burn in anyways). These are the ones that all seem to have the issue switching to external subs during playback.

#17 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

There must be another factor as I also cannot reproduce this.

Can you please start this one item, turn on the subs that don't work, wait just a second or two, then back out and send the log from the app?

Thanks.

Starting playing Ford v Ferrari at around 5:29pm CDT with no subtitles, Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Says the stream is being remuxed (due to unsupported audio codec). Let a minutes or two play, and then turned on French external SRT subtitles. Stream reloaded and subtitles were turned off.

Just sent the logs from the app.

Edited by samuelqwe, 08 April 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#18 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6088 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

No cinema mode and I let Emby name the tracks. Movies that have the issue have both a Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. For my testing, I set the audio to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track and the media is direct streaming/remuxed (which is weird because I always expected the Roku to be able to play DD5.1 correctly).

The Roku does. The "sink device" at the end of the HDMI chain must as well. Especially if using HDMI-ARC. The Roku allows pass-through of Dolby and DTS codecs. This means the Roku isn't actually able to play it at all. It just passes it along and uses its HDMI chain detection to tell if you support Dolby. If using HDMI-ARC, most certainly you will have issues, unless your Audio receiver is turned on before the TV or the HDMI chain is broken. The receiver has to come on first then the TV then the Roku then it should be able to see that indeed Dolby is present. This is why I always tell users do not use the AUTO setting on the HDMI Audio of the Roku settings. Pick the setting Dolby, Dolby+, DTS, or Dolby+ DTS. Then you will always get what you expect without the HDMI chain issues. Keep in mind not using AUTO on the HDMI Audio of the Roku will disable the Volume Mode. See here: https://support.roku...reaming-device- . When the Roku uses Volume Mode other than OFF it will always use stereo sound. This will cause transcoding on your item.

I suspect the Roku does not believe it can play Dolby and is transcoding your item. The fact it transcodes the item must be throwing off the subtitles index for some reason.

Can you add a second subtitle SRT to the item? Then pick the second subtitle while doing this. If this then plays the subtitle I think I know what is happening. It will happen with the first subtitle when it finds it cannot get the URL of it and moves down one. It will move 0 to -1 and -1 = no subtitles.

Does the stats for nerds say "Direct Play Error" or "Unsupported Audio" for transcode reason?

Edited by speechles, 08 April 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#19 samuelqwe OFFLINE  

samuelqwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

The Roku does. The "sink device" at the end of the HDMI chain must as well. Especially if using HDMI-ARC. The Roku allows pass-through of Dolby and DTS codecs. This means the Roku isn't actually able to play it at all. It just passes it along and uses its HDMI chain detection to tell if you support Dolby. If using HDMI-ARC, most certainly you will have issues, unless your Audio receiver is turned on before the TV or the HDMI chain is broken. The receiver has to come on first then the TV then the Roku then it should be able to see that indeed Dolby is present. This is why I always tell users do not use the AUTO setting on the HDMI Audio of the Roku settings. Pick the setting Dolby, Dolby+, DTS, or Dolby+ DTS. Then you will always get what you expect without the HDMI chain issues. Keep in mind not using AUTO on the HDMI Audio of the Roku will disable the Volume Mode. See here: https://support.roku...reaming-device- . When the Roku uses Volume Mode other than OFF it will always use stereo sound. This will cause transcoding on your item.

I suspect the Roku does not believe it can play Dolby and is transcoding your item. The fact it transcodes the item must be throwing off the subtitles index for some reason.

Can you add a second subtitle SRT to the item? Then pick the second subtitle while doing this. If this then plays the subtitle I think I know what is happening. It will happen with the first subtitle when it finds it cannot get the URL of it and moves down one. It will move 0 to -1 and -1 = no subtitles.

Does the stats for nerds say "Direct Play Error" or "Unsupported Audio" for transcode reason?

Then it’s remuxing as expected, I just thought Dolby Digital was pretty much supported by everything, but it makes sense that it’s transcoding the audio. The Roku Stick I have is on an older Samsung TV in a bedroom, so the remux is to be expected, since it’s not hooked up to any external audio receiver or soundbar. The stats for nerds does say the remux is due to the unsupported audio, so everything works as expected there.

Downloaded an additional SRT for Ford v Ferrari, tested, and no change. Still fails to switch to either of my external SRTs (one French, one English). And then I tried selecting the English SRT before playback to see if it worked, and it was showing the French SRT instead.

However, I will say this, my movies typically have lots of internal subtitles for various languages (like over 10, but I don’t actually really need all of them, I just haven’t removed them) and that sometimes causes the subtitle picker in the OSD to overflow and go beyond the bounds of the box where you can’t see the names of certain subtitle tracks. Perhaps this is what is causing it to have issues.

Here are my ideas on why the issue might be occurring, but it could be something else entirely:
1. The movie also contains internal PGS subtitles which might be throwing off the count of subtitles and thus the selection index is wrong
2. The movie is direct streaming and this might be causing it to have issues with external subtitles
3. The large amount of subtitles contained within the movie might be causing the subtitle picker to pick a subtitle index which doesn’t exist

Hope this information can help pinpoint the issue!

Edited by samuelqwe, 08 April 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#20 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6088 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

@samuelqwe Odd it plays French. I am listen to the local townhall Coronavirus update then I will chase the final issues with subtitles. Thanks for being detailed in your reply. The subtitle issue is a case of "failure is not an option". We will fix this. ;)

u-g-F78UBJ0.jpg

Edited by speechles, 08 April 2020 - 09:49 PM.

• samuelqwe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users