Emby Premiere Discount

KingMovies

ProXy

I think it would be a good time to support companies that now have fewer paying customers during Covid-19!

• Like 7

lundblad

@@ebr I think it would be a good time for a Premiere Discount during Covid-19. 

Agree, i would buy then too :P

Edited by mopsiptv

• 2 weeks later...
KingMovies

Was hoping they have that $80 promotion like Plex.

@@Luke what do you think ?

Edited by KingMovies
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
BAlGaInTl

Plex also has something like $11M in funding from outside sources that allow them to offer those steep discounts.

I'm sure that if someone from the community would throw a few mil the way of the Emby team, they would consider a hefty (33%) discount too.  

:D

But really... I don't want a corporate overlord to answer to.  It's not just because I already have my lifetime license.

• Like 1

Dan45

I only need premiere for using it on my Samsung TV and Android TV for streaming without limitation.

119Dollar for that is really to much! For my Samsung TV there is no inApp Purchase.

Edited by Dan45

BAlGaInTl

I only need premiere for using it on my Samsung TV and Android TV for streaming without limitation.

119Dollar for that is really to much! For my Samsung TV there is no inApp Purchase.

If cost is really the issue... you could simply put a device on your Samsung TV that does have an app unlock.

-Android TV

-Chromecast

-Roku (I think this is still free, but doesn't include live TV)

-Etc

So the cost would be significantly less, and the "smart" aspect of your TV would probably be considerably better.

• Like 3

To be fair, I think $120 is reasonable for lifetime.  Although it is human nature to want a bargain price.  Especially considering I already purchased a lifetime Plex license for $80.  

The moment I see a $100 Emby special I'm buying... 

KingMovies

$100 price is what I am waiting for. I use Plex more but don't mind giving $100 to emby premiere

• 4 months later...

I've been waiting to see if the lifetime pass was discounted. I've either misssed it or it hasn't happened. I also vaguely remember getting the app on xbox one for free or it's use options were all free  but at some point it started charging.

Edited by fce2

I gave up and paid full retail in June for lifetime.  Glad I did.  Otherwise I would still be waiting for a discount and wasting $5 a month.  

Gilgamesh_48

Emby is a great value at the full price. Also the main reason for getting premier is to support Emby.

It actually decreases the value of a product to provide discounts unless the discount is applied universally. 

I hope Emby never provides a discount and particularly that applies to those begging and whining for said discount. If you cannot afford to pay for premier at its full price then there really is no reason to even use Emby. Legally acquiring media is pretty expensive and the hardware required to run a decent Emby server is not cheap and that does not mention the upkeep and power requirements.

If the price of Emby premier is too much for someone then they should just run the free level or nothing at all.

I do not agree with the need for student discounts or senior discounts or any other discount simply based on status, or lack thereof, of some sort.

Pony up the regular fee or do not but it is sad to see people begging for a discount like they are somehow special and deserving of being subsidized by the rest of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Deathsquirrel

Obviously everyone's finances are different but as @Gilgamesh_48 said, this is not a cheap hobby and Emby is probably the least expensive part of it already.  For example, my collection:

• 2 NAS chassis, $450 each
  • 9 8TB drives at $200 each (when I bought them, the model's down to $150 now)
  • 5 12TB drives at $320 each
  • Emby server at $750
  • 1950 movies at $7 each (this is low but I'd like to pretend that's my average)
  • 189 TV Series at $20 each (again, WAY low)

Not factoring in the time spent on my little hobby or the electricity to run it all, that's $23,080.  TVs, playback hardware, sound system, etc., were all on top of that.  Emby is $120 bucks and is the ONLY way to make all that investment work together for me.  It's a freaking bargain.

I have zero say in whether or not there is another sale or any pricing changes now or in the future but if you look at those numbers above I think you'll understand why many folks look at the request a bit dubiously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Be happy they are even offering Lifetime. They could move to a subscription only service like many others have. I say get it while you can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow... more than one fanboy in this thread. 

I paid full retail for Emby and 50% for Plex lifetime.  I don't consider myself cheap or a beggar for asking when the next discount was likely?  Especially in today's climate when anyone could lose their job with little notice.  

And $23,000?  Come on...  That is way past average Emby user and at least an intermediate level r/Datahoarder.  Good people mind you, just lightyears beyond the average dad trying to setup a decent home video server for the family.  

• Like 1

pwhodges

You don't get much computer and storage capable of media streaming for $1000, and less than $1000 won't buy enough films and series to make it really worth having a server at all.  But $120 (for lifetime) is still peanuts alongside the minimal $2000 I postulate. 

Anyway, discounts mean one of two things - either they are running short of sales and will soon cease operations, or they are routinely overcharging and occasionally have a sale to distract people from that fact.

Paul

• Like 4

On 10/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, dcol said:

Be happy they are even offering Lifetime. They could move to a subscription only service like many others have. I say get it while you can.

I too would love to see lifetime Premiere go away in favor of monthly & yearly subscriptions (which could be slightly cheaper).  App purchases are fine as lifetime purchases.

On 10/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Baja said:

And $23,000?  Come on...  That is way past average Emby user and at least an intermediate level r/Datahoarder.  Good people mind you, just lightyears beyond the average dad trying to setup a decent home video server for the family.  

I don't know about that. Seems pretty cheap to me. LOL  

Deathsquirrel
On 10/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, Baja said:

Oh I have no idea what's 'average' and I assume most people are paying exactly nothing for their movies instead of buying them on disc and ripping them.  No clue why given the dreadful quality of most torrented rips, but whatever.  Just the same, even if your only cost is storage, you'll have at least many hundreds of dollars sunk into that before you have enough media to really warrant a solution like this.  Emby is still going to be the cheapest part of your setup.

BAlGaInTl

If your committed to running a true media server, $120 is most likely a minor cost.

I did what I consider a "budget" media server and probably have about $1300 in it.  More than that with network upgrades and such, but just hardware.

MB
CPU
RAM
Storage
CASE
OS (Unraid)
Emby (Lifetime)

So even with my bare minimum,  Emby was less than 10% of the cost of the server.

If you just want to run a basic home server off an existing computer, with minimal needs, maybe the subscription model is better anyway.

2 hours ago, BAlGaInTl said:

If your committed to running a true media server, $120 is most likely a minor cost.

I did what I consider a "budget" media server and probably have about $1300 in it.  More than that with network upgrades and such, but just hardware.

MB
CPU
RAM
Storage
CASE
OS (Unraid)
Emby (Lifetime)

So even with my bare minimum,  Emby was less than 10% of the cost of the server.

If you just want to run a basic home server off an existing computer, with minimal needs, maybe the subscription model is better anyway.

Unless you're Canadian and that's about $160 - not happening...