Unable to stream live TV to the Fire TV Stick 4K

axxe

I have just setup an Emby server and am able to stream live TV to a browser on the local machine.  I can connect to the Emby server from the Fire TV Stick 4k, but when I try to play live TV the screen goes black with the spinning "waiting" timer, no video or audio.  Initially I was able to get a few seconds of video and the audio continued after the video froze on the screen, but now I can't get it to stream to the Fire TV at all.  Once this happens and I try to "go back", nothing happens and after a short while I end up back at the Fire TV apps screen as if Emby was "Killed" for hanging.

I have forwarded the logs from the Fire TV Stick 4K at 09:32 EST, the logged on user was vance.

Logs from the server are attached.

embyserver-63721260909.txt

hardware_detection-63721260914.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-64b96019-f469-4192-9dad-53cc4845fbe0_1.txt

Hi.  There wasn't any playback in the app log you sent.  Can you please try again but just try to play the channel, give it a few seconds and then back out and send the log immediately?

Thanks.

I had to restart the Fire TV as every time I tried to go to Emby all I got was a black screen.  After resetting the Fire TV and starting the Emby App I was able to stream an SD and an HD program.  Logs attached for both.  I then re-streamed the HD program for about 5 minutes without any problems.  But I have tried a number of time today and it appears to be failing after a short while of playing.  If I can't make it reliable then it will not pass the "Wife Test" and I will be stuck with the Humax box :-(

Some additional info - I am using an HD Homerun Connect Quattro as the TV source

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c5008f70-65f2-4647-aedd-c2fc43098ca3_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-a5b29057-041d-4e6d-9006-89633a66280f_1.txt

I had to restart the Fire TV as every time I tried to go to Emby all I got was a black screen.  After resetting the Fire TV and starting the Emby App I was able to stream an SD and an HD program.  Logs attached for both.  I then re-streamed the HD program for about 5 minutes without any problems.  But I have tried a number of time today and it appears to be failing after a short while of playing.  If I can't make it reliable then it will not pass the "Wife Test" and I will be stuck with the Humax box :-(

Some additional info - I am using an HD Homerun Connect Quattro as the TV source

So there was no problem during these playback sessions?

No, no error in these second set of logs.  

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your first response.  I thought you just wanted to see video playing. ("play a few seconds and back out")

I will continue to play live tv and recordings today and if I get a failure I will try to capture the logs and post here.

maegibbons

Is this a UK stream?

In Live TV settings, make sure:

Direct stream Live TV is unticked

Allow videp stream copy is unticked.

Different HD channels can present differently and forcing a full transcode is the best way to sort the anomolies out.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

First attempt this morning failed:

05:12 (E-5), 10:12 GMT - Attempt to play live TV (HD Channel) - Played for less than 1 minute then video froze, audio continued.  Attempted to back out and reached the TV Guide, then the app froze and I was kicked out of Emby to the Fire TV Apps page.  Re-entered Emby App to send logs.

05:13 E(-5), 10:13 GMT - Logs sent from Fire TV

Logs from the server attached

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-6c9fb0d4-2fd0-4bf5-ada3-d643523009cb_1.txt

On the Fire TV:

Direct Stream Live TV was unticked

Allow Video Stream Copy was ticked, now unticked

Stream currently playing OK, will continue to monitor.

Live TV played for 2:30 hours without lock up.  Looks like it may have been the "Allow Video Stream Copy" setting on the Fire TV.

I will continue to use and check.  If no more problems in a few days I will close this issue.

maegibbons

Good. Thats why we asked for it to be there.

Krs

Mark

Just had the same problem with a recorded TV program.  Got a few seconds of video, video freezes and audio continues.  Trying to back out causes the app to be killed and I am returned to the Fire Stick homepage.

Fire TV logs submitted at 09:24 EST (14:24 GMT), server logs attached.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-b9970dc7-b0d9-47f4-9b38-f9350fef71db_1.txt

maegibbons

Then lower the bitrate and force it to transcode.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

Looks like you may be correct with forcing a transcode.  The transcoded streams work OK and the direct streams don't.  I have had to drop the maximum bit rate to 5Mbps to force a transcode though which seems a little low to me??

Is there a way to force transcoding for a specific client (i.e. the Fire TV Stick)?

Is there a way to force transcoding for a specific client (i.e. the Fire TV Stick)?

Uncheck the options "Attempt to Live Stream TV" and "Allow Video Stream Copy".

maegibbons

Uncheck the options "Attempt to Live Stream TV" and "Allow Video Stream Copy".

We've done the Live TV bit. He is now talking about recorded stuff.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Looks like you may be correct with forcing a transcode. The transcoded streams work OK and the direct streams don't. I have had to drop the maximum bit rate to 5Mbps to force a transcode though which seems a little low to me??

Ive generally not had issues with recorded items for a long time although to be fair I do not use a fire stick that often.

Where are you exactly with EST time zone picking up DVB streams with AAC_LATM????

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

I am UK, but in your reporting issues [FAQ](https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/) you ask for the time in EST when Fire Logs are submitted through the app, hence my times given in EST.

Ah ok. I just give it to @@ebr in GMT usually. But thats good.

Do you have any other devices to test playback on? Like android phone?

Just need to prove its just fire tv.

If you can then put up a sample recording somewhere i can download, I can then check it on a fire tv stick here.

Krs

Mark

PM'd a link to a short video clip which is causing issues on Fire TV Stick 4K.

Emby App on Android phone streams OK without changing any settings.  Chrome Browser also works.

Thanks

Vance

maegibbons

@@ebr

Just tried to play the .ts sample that @@axxe sent me.

It fails with a "Too many errors" on Android TV mi box.

Sent logs st 11.32 am BST

Emby-core

emby

Can yo see why it fails? Direct plays on android mobile.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

On the Fire TV Stick 4k

If I drop the Max Bitrate to 2mbps then it forces a full transcode and plays fine.

If I just let it remux, it appears to crash the player after a few seconds.

If I attempt to direct play then "Too Many Errors"

i.e. no fall back to full Transcode.

Krs

Msrk

This is a new one but it looks like bad media - which Exo has a low tolerance for:

802 20521 20584 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
04-03 11:30:36.802 20521 20584 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Loading finished before preparation is complete.

However, we should have eventually fallen back to transcoding and it doesn't appear that is happening.  That may be related to the new direct stream TS option.  Can you try turning that off and see if this eventually plays?

maegibbons

Hi

Read test again.

If i force transcode it is fine.

If i just let it remux (i.e no direct attempt) but max bit rate it freezes and locks up.

If i tick direct. It just fails with too many errors NO FALL BACK

Krs

Mark

This is a new one but it looks like bad media - which Exo has a low tolerance for:

802 20521 20584 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
04-03 11:30:36.802 20521 20584 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Loading finished before preparation is complete.

However, we should have eventually fallen back to transcoding and it doesn't appear that is happening.  That may be related to the new direct stream TS option.  Can you try turning that off and see if this eventually plays?

Can you point me in the direction of that setting.  I am new to Emby and haven't got my head around where all the settings are.  Is it on the Fire TV Settings or server UI - Then which subheading will I find it under?

Thanks

Vance

Can you point me in the direction of that setting.  I am new to Emby and haven't got my head around where all the settings are.  Is it on the Fire TV Settings or server UI - Then which subheading will I find it under?

Thanks

Vance

It is in the Fire TV app, live TV settings but, if you don't even know where it is, you likely don't have it turned on.

Can you add me to the PM with the sample download in it?

Thanks.