Playback in browser will randomly pause and cannot be resumed without restarting stream (Brave browser)

ezzah

I would preface this by saying that this was experienced by one of my users. I have looked through embyserver logs and transcode/remux logs but could not find anything of note. However, the user did find that in console this error would appear when the playback would pause and could not be resumed:

Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: The play() request was interrupted by a call to pause(). https://goo.gl/LdLk22

Any thoughts what this javascript error may mean? Is it a client-side issue? 

• Like 1

aplusm

Hi Luke, I experienced this particular promise exception in Chrome, but didn't get a chance to capture a screenshot when playback stopped.

I did experience the 'random pause in playback' again, but this time on Safari, in the console, the logs were a bit different. I thought may still be relevant to trying to fix this problem, could be different factors but producing the same outcome of stopped playback

I'll keep an eye out for more of these client-side console logs whenever this happens.

5e842af155786_ScreenShot20200331at200626

aplusm

I just encountered this error just now, and managed to grab a screenshot, as well as the full browser console logs. See attached below.

System Info:
- Browser: Brave v1.15.15 (Chromium-based browser)
-- Only active extension for Emby app is 1Password. I disabled any uBlock Origin & Brave Shield (adblockers) when I started encountering these issues.
- Hardware: Macbook Pro 13-inch (Retina, Early 2015)

Here's exactly how it unfolded:

I was watching Supernatural S13E09, and at minute 39:31.. the playback suddenly stopped. When I hovered to check, the play button was toggled (as if it got paused). I immediately grabbed a screenshot, and copied the full log which should show the log since I opened the web app.

At the timestamps where the playback stopped (towards end of the log), I can see those "bufferStalledError" and "bufferFullError" errors I captured before.. and when I tried to press 'play' again, to try to see if it will resume.. I got the 'uncaught promise DOM exception' error that @@ezzah posted. The playback never resumed obviously, regardless of how long I wait.

post-600167-0-77791400-1586007659_thumb.pngemby_console_masked.txt

Edited by aplusm
  • Like 1

aplusm

I just wanted to clarify on the browser part. I encountered this problem on BOTH Safari and Brave, not exclusively Brave. You'll see in my post #3 that the screenshot of a similar error in the console, is in the Safari Console viewer.

So the problem (and the exact error) I encountered was on both Safari and Brave.. I just happened to be using Brave when it happened again, and managed to get you the full logs :)

I'm using the latest Safari 13.1 on macOS 10.15.4 Catalina FYI

I have started using Firefox today, and will see if I encounter it on Firefox as well.

Edited by aplusm

• 4 months later...
legionsra

Regarding this issue I have it always if my bitrate is 40Mbps or higher, no matter the resolution.

It happens for now in my case only in Chrome with Mac (Mojave) in just a few seconds, while in Safari and Firefox (again, Mac Mojave) seems to be capable of long runs 4k 120Mbps with no issue.

It seems that there are some buffer issues with the HLS.js used to process the data depending on the combination of browser/OS. My recommendation is that we should try to use other browsers meanwhile as a workaround in Mac (and also in other OS if this happens there) and also update Emby periodically with the latest versions of HLS.
You can see these bugs notified already in the HLS side
https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/issues/1084

TL;DR:
Workarounds
1. Reduce Mbps bitrate in your browser.
2. Use another browser and/or OS if you can, try max Mbps and then reduce until it works flawlesly
3. Wait HLS and Emby team for updates.

Edited by legionsra