auto stretch 4:3 video

Bottles51

Bottles51

Can we get a setting to auto stretch 4:3 video ether on the app or the server itself. I know we have a setting to do it, but It gets tiresome to have to stretch the video each time you play something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

SikSlayer

Hi, yes it's not a bad idea.

Exactly. Zooming in if its got black bars (ie, a widescreen content in a 4:3 video) is fine, but stretching native 4:3 content is foolish.

Everything will look distorted. A simple way to see this is to check for anything that should be a perfect circle.

Edited by SikSlayer

Bottles51

So just to be clear on subject.was not asking for this to be default. Just want the choice to auto stretch or zoom both would be great

• Like 1

SikSlayer

It'd be tough to autodetect even the zooming for black bars. To set zooming/stretching as a default... that's just a mess in the waiting.

Bottles51

The server can tell the aspect ratio of the file .so then it needs to tell it to stretch on a 4:3 video. Not to compair because I know kodi is totally different. But kodi can do this.

• 1 year later...
Bottles51

Just a reply to bump this one back up. Hope we can get some more likes for this option.

• 3 months later...
bblackmoor

Is it possible to vote against feature requests? If so, I would like to vote against this one. If the development team for Emby is as small as I think it is, I would hate for their time to be spent on implementing such a terrible idea.

Why on Earth would anyone ever intentionally distort a picture to fit some arbitrary piece of hardware.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

Is it possible to vote against feature requests? If so, I would like to vote against this one. If the development team for Emby is as small as I think it is, I would hate for their time to be spent on implementing such a terrible idea.

Why on Earth would anyone ever intentionally distort a picture to fit some arbitrary piece of hardware.

Well as they say, to each their own.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
kingy444

Definitely understand some people would like the original aspect - personally I really hate the black bars

i disagree there would be much time wasted here as the code to do the stretching exists manually already, you just need to set it manually

having this as a playback option under user profile would be a great addition. Default can stay as auto and everyone wins 😉 

• 6 months later...
reven

+1 to this.  but not just for 4:3, make it have default zoom for different types of videos, 2.25:1, i want to zoom in to crop the black bars.   i dont need it to automatically detect black bars, those have already been removed from the file.

really shocked its not already a thing.  its really annoying to have to push down, right, right right, right, right, ok, go to zoom, go to zoom each tv episode.   with more and more tv shows using a non 16:9 format, this is becoming more and more annoying.

plex does this, but I recently switched to emby, and this is my only real issue with it.

So if we could get an option under playback settings per user, for "Default Zoom": "Default" / "Auto" or something that would be fantasic. 

Edited by reven

3 hours ago, reven said:

i want to zoom in to crop the black bars. 

You really want to chop off the sides of widescreen content?

reven

yes, yes i do.  I rather loose a tiny amount on the sides, to fill my tv screen.