"There was an error in HTTP Response. That could mean that malformed HTTP." or other errors. Not working either of my rokus or pc.

DHarvey95

13 hours ago, pünktchen said:

One or two other users already reported something similar, but I've never seen the emby log that corresponds to the error. @speechles wanted to have a look.
The problem is not the plugin or the server, it's the Roku app that doesn't react like every other Emby app does. I can only tell you how the plugin works:
When the user starts playing a live tv channel and the server asks the live tv plugin for a channel stream, the plugin returns the path to a local one minute long mp4 file and all the mediainfo of that file. The plugin then listens for session events for client playback start of the live tv channel. If that happens the plugin tells the server to send a remote play command with a list of videos to the client app. That's it! Works in browsers, Theater on windows, both Android apps and also with LG tv's.

Looks like the Roku in question was on a remote network and, unfortunately, that means the remote play command is not going to work.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Looks like the Roku in question was on a remote network and, unfortunately, that means the remote play command is not going to work.

Are you sure about that? Is this a limitation of Roku, because it is working here with the Android mobile app?!

Pseibold

In my case, the ROKU is on a remote network.  However, this does not occur with all of the virtual TV channels, just some.   some of the channels work flawlessly remotely. 

Attached is the server log, where some of the  stations worked, and some did not.    No problems at 2021-02-10 10:33:30 with the tv station.  But they started afterwards.

server log2.txt

Edited by Pseibold

1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

Are you sure about that? Is this a limitation of Roku, because it is working here with the Android mobile app?!

Pretty sure.  The Android app uses a Google service to send notifications and that works just about anywhere.  The Roku app is using it's own ECP functionality to receive network commands and that is only going to work on the local network unless the proper port is forwarded through all necessary routes.

pünktchen
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

The Android app uses a Google service to send notifications

Can you clarify what sending notifications from the Android has to do with receiving commands.
Also if you are using a Google service, does it mean remote commands (no matter if it's from a plugin or user) won't work for users in China?

2 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Can you clarify what sending notifications from the Android has to do with receiving commands.

Sorry, I meant the Google service was used for this communication (both ways) in general (one side sending the other receiving).

@cayars may have some ideas but I don't really think it will be practical to route these commands through port-forwarding as that would limit you to a single Roku device and one with a static IP address - but I guess one could try it...

Never mind.  I see now Roku has blocked this for security reasons (makes sense).

pünktchen

@Luke are you willing to help me here? If yes, would you please be so kind and extend the ILiveTvService api endpoint
Task<MediaSourceInfo> GetChannelStream(string channelId, string streamId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

with the requesting device (id or user agent) and if it is a remote request?
Then in such situations i could fallback to my other playback method where the live tv stream is a concatenated *.ts video file.

14 hours ago, pünktchen said:

The Roku is blocking the receiving of ECP commands from a WAN connection, is it that what you are telling me?

Yes.

Pseibold

Note: based on my logs above, some of the channels work fine, and some don't.  I don't follow where the roku would drop some channels and not others.  

If this is a situation where a fire stick would be superior to a roku (because it would work) thats fine too.  I've been having some other technical issues with roku lately with its technical/marketing policy decisions.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, Pseibold said:

I don't follow where the roku would drop some channels and not others

That has to be a difference in the way the plug-in is behaving as the Roku behavior would not be any different.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, ebr said:

That has to be a difference in the way the plug-in is behaving as the Roku behavior would not be any different.

@Pseibold what playback mode is set for your virtual channels? Are they all the same?

Pseibold

On 2/12/2021 at 3:21 PM, pünktchen said:

@Pseibold what playback mode is set for your virtual channels? Are they all the same?

So as long as I changed them from live to archive playback, then they all work on a roku over the WAN.

pünktchen

But that wasn't my question. I'd like to know the playback mode that you've set when generating the log file with errors.

Pseibold
18 hours ago, pünktchen said:

But that wasn't my question. I'd like to know the playback mode that you've set when generating the log file with errors.

Sorry, the play back method was "play list"    That caused the errors on ROKU

pünktchen

Was it "Playlist" for all channels? Are you sure?
What "Container" did you choose under "Continous Playback" settings?

Pseibold
On 2/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, pünktchen said:

Was it "Playlist" for all channels? Are you sure?
What "Container" did you choose under "Continous Playback" settings?

Yes.  when "Play list was selected" sometimes the media played, sometimes it resulted in the HTTP error.  No idea why.  I couldn't determine any issues, other than frequent failure.

Once I changed it, then I've not had the error since.  

I am using the MP4 container for playback.  NOT the .ts container.  

Excellent application man!!! love it!

pünktchen
12 minutes ago, Pseibold said:

Once I changed it, then I've not had the error since.  

I am using the MP4 container for playback.  NOT the .ts container. 

Sorry for asking again and again, but somehow i cannot follow.
What playback mode is set currently for all your channels? Do they play on Roku or not?
Would you please send me the log with a playback attempt even if it is working now!