Question about download conversions

Ruttus

Ruttus

Now sure whats causing thes files. im out of space because of these files. can someone tell me what they are for and is it ok to delete them and if i do will they come back and what will be effected if I delete them. :) thanks.

post-581994-0-66184700-1585411309_thumb.jpg

post-581994-0-13230600-1585411315_thumb.jpg

post-581994-0-78942900-1585411320_thumb.jpg

Gilgamesh_48

Now sure whats causing thes files. im out of space because of these files. can someone tell me what they are for and is it ok to delete them and if i do will they come back and what will be effected if I delete them. :) thanks.

You need a bigger disk and/or you need to enable storing Image, bif and nfo files with the media. Those files are support files that Emby needs to operate correctly but many of them can be relocated to be stored with the media. You can also change the Cache path and the Transcoding temporary path to help save space. Do not place either of those on drives that are accessed through the network.

Simply changing the paths does not delete any files but it assures that the files do not grow in the old (default) locations.

Happy2Play

Folders that size are not \metadata\library related. (ie bif, image, chapter, people, actor)

Something doesn't look right there either as all those numbered files I would assume should be in their own sub-folder, what are the contents of those numbered folders?  Are those sync or downloads?  You had to have set that location as a custom path for something.

Ruttus

Yes those files are not the transcode or metadata. those are in other folders and have no issues with that. But theses files I'm lost and is huge. I change path to out on my E drive don't want them on my C drive. But those folders generate every other day. And each file is like 500mb to 6gigs.

Ruttus

My c drive is 128gb ssd so I only used it for the OS. And then E drive for storage but is only for emby. Its 500gb just for emby path. The media or contents I have are stored on my NAS and they have a lot of space. So not sure what these files are for.

Ruttus

I noticed at times the server does conversions maybe by a schedule I think. Not sure why. I disable users from converting. So maybe these files are results. The files inside though are not media files. They are just huge. With like hash like names with no ext.

Happy2Play

That is a admin choice if you need/want to convert your media to a compatible format. 

I am just guessing it may be related to Conversion.

Did you select that as a path for Conversion?  Dashboard-Conversion-Settings tab

Ruttus

That is a admin choice if you need/want to convert your media to a compatible format. 

I am just guessing it may be related to Conversion.

Did you select that as a path for Conversion?  Dashboard-Conversion-Settings tab

yes I did set the path and its the same, I deleted the files all seems to be working, but more were generated.

Ruttus

on a different note I have 4 videos I add few days now. all avi format, I only noticed with these 4 not sure if others have the issues. mkv I don't . the issues are when playing the video its just a dark screen and no audio, the time is moving in some cases I can even see the timeline thumbnails but can't watch these contents. how to fix that?

valientinx

It should be nice to notify user at install point to move transcoding folder somewhere else, this issue killed all my system, armbian, because was 0b space left on "/".

Was good that ssh shell still worked, nothing else was loading.

This is lame by all standards you can think of.

There are so many solutions to make this issue invisible to user, just unbelievable...

Happy2Play

It should be nice to notify user at install point to move transcoding folder somewhere else, this issue killed all my system, armbian, because was 0b space left on "/".

Was good that ssh shell still worked, nothing else was loading.

This is lame by all standards you can think of.

There are so many solutions to make this issue invisible to user, just unbelievable...

What do you mean, put all customizable paths in the install wizard?

Edited by Happy2Play

valientinx

What do you mean, put all customizable paths in the install wizard?

Well for sure there are solutions to make this issue invisible to user, I mean when you know that a temp file can go to 15Gb and stay there because unfortunately the cast interface was disconnected from android app leaving the media running in chromecast without control, maybe there is a way, when user hit reboot and emby server starts, to clear fist the temp file, or maybe better a script in rc.local somewhere that delete this temp file without server load.

But what do you mean all paths, there are more paths that can have file so large? That will be a useful info for me, I can make a script that rm all at system start.

Either way, so far I really like what you have built here, Emby is very nice.

Edited by valientinx

Happy2Play

Well for sure there are solutions to make this issue invisible to user, I mean when you know that a temp file can go to 15Gb and stay there because unfortunately the cast interface was disconnected from android app leaving the media running in chromecast without control, maybe there is a way, when user hit reboot and emby server starts, to clear fist the temp file, or maybe better a script in rc.local somewhere that delete this temp file without server load.

But what do you mean all paths, there are more paths that can have file so large? That will be a useful info for me, I can make a script that rm all at system start.

Either way, so far I really like what you have built here, Emby is very nice.

It already does this.  That is one reason some users restart daily.

Sure other paths can be large like your \metadata path especially if you don't save images with media.  Mine is over 20Gb and I save all image and metadata with media.  My largest folder is my legacy people folder as it is a really old installation.  But you do not want to clear this folder.

Also relocating after the fact would need manual database updates.

Edited by Happy2Play

Ruttus

so bascally if i restart daily it deletes these large files im having and things run better?

It already does this.  That is one reason some users restart daily.

Sure other paths can be large like your \metadata path especially if you don't save images with media.  Mine is over 20Gb and I save all image and metadata with media.  My largest folder is my legacy people folder as it is a really old installation.  But you do not want to clear this folder.

Also relocating after the fact would need manual database updates.

Happy2Play

so bascally if i restart daily it deletes these large files im having and things run better?

Your issue I don't think has anything to do with Transcoding.  Your items are outside the transcode-temp folder.

Unless you are specifically talking about that folder?

Ruttus

Your issue I don't think has anything to do with Transcoding.  Your items are outside the transcode-temp folder.

Unless you are specifically talking about that folder?

so what causes these files? yeh I see the transcoding files in the transcode-temp folder. but why does these are files keep generating. 

Ruttus

I think I found out what generates the large files, why it does it not sure but it is caused by the conversion section of the server, what I did was specify it to a folder and the same large files start to generate in there, why though im not sure, also I have some avi files not playing is it they have to be converted first? maybe I need to point these conversion files to a bigger hard drive on the network. I will try that give it maybe 2TB of space and see what happens and if my new avi files will play after.

maegibbons

WE dont know what youve asked to be converted!

Only you can check that.

Have you chosen to convert your AVI fies?

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Ruttus

WE dont know what youve asked to be converted!

Only you can check that.

Have you chosen to convert your AVI fies?

Krs

Mark

was saying I see a lot of gigs used up and seems it came from conversion as that was the folder generating the files. but I just found what causes the issue. a few users made a lot of request for downloads and was in que. and seem this was generating the files and the space was not there for the quantity which caused each time to full that partition. I jus cleared the downloads

Edited by Ruttus

Ruttus

another question I was asking separate from the space consumption is that I have a few new avi files but they won't play via emby. is it a case I need to convert these avi files or what solution can I use to make the avi files play on emby?

when I play these files and its only recently I have noticed and im sure I have other avi, not sure if I tested them but these that I have recently gives and  blank screen no sound as the time moves I even see pic thumbnails but nothing plays,

or the error

Playback Error

No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.
Edited by Ruttus

maegibbons

Hi

AVI is a relatively old and deprecated container type. It causes problems dependent on the codecs held within.

So if it is media that you want to play regularly then it is definately worth converting them to mkv enclosing modern video and audio codecs.

Krs

Mark