Site Feature: Automatically create Feature Request topics as polls

Q-Droid

Q-Droid

It seems to me that Feature Requests don't have a good, or at least a clear way of tracking community support for the request. Likes, +1's or thread activity don't really translate to votes and are not so easy to tally.

Would a poll give us and the devs a clearer picture of what the community wants most?

Would it help the devs prioritize the features? 

It would be easier for people to vote but does that matter?

Edited by ebr
Removed poll from this topic
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Would a poll give us and the devs a clearer picture of what the community wants most?

Yes

Maybe

Yes it would be easier to see and vote.  But it would be a matter of having the correct vote options.

Q-Droid

Yes

Maybe

Yes it would be easier to see and vote.  But it would be a matter of having the correct vote options.

Hey, you changed my poll.

As far as the correct vote options I was thinking for a default poll to be Yes (I support this request) or No (I don't support it), even a Neutral option if the team thinks that would help. The OP could have the option to edit the poll if there were more choices in the request or asking for preferences.

The idea is to keep it basic to track support for any given request.

• Like 1

sfatula

Yeah, so, my problem is some of the requests, perhaps many have different interpretations. Voting yes might mean something different than what was intended by the OP. There is a lot of discussion on some of the requests. For example, if I opened a poll that merely said should Emby auto delete watched episodes after some time period, what does that really mean? Sounds simple, but the discussion of that has turned into many many different needs / requests. My answer on many of the requests I am interested would be maybe every time due to this. 

We look at all factors, e.g. posts, views, likes, comments, etc. So votes would be another data point and there's nothing wrong with that if that makes sense.  

Problem is poll results are not visible at the list level.  "Likes" are and we already have this.

Q-Droid

Problem is poll results are not visible at the list level.  "Likes" are and we already have this.

That makes sense. I don't know how your visibility and access on the site differs from ours and whether you have polls and results listings available.

Just a quick question to the devs...when we (users) want to support a particular feature request and vote it up which is your preferred method that we use to provide the feedback? Do you rather we hit the like button to the original post request or place a comment/post further down in the thread with a +1?  Is one method more effective for you than the other and are they (likes and +1s) tallied together or is one not tallied at all (namely the post replies (+1s) -- I suspect they are not considered in the vote tally at all).?  We just want to know which would help you better and how we need to change our behavior to give you the best feedback possible.  Let's just make that (whatever method you guys chose) the standard and try to get everybody else to act in like kind.  my 2 cents.

Thx

Ed

Spaceboy

Just a quick question to the devs...when we (users) want to support a particular feature request and vote it up which is your preferred method that we use to provide the feedback? Do you rather we hit the like button to the original post request or place a comment/post further down in the thread with a +1? Is one method more effective for you than the other and are they (likes and +1s) tallied together or is one not tallied at all (namely the post replies (+1s) -- I suspect they are not considered in the vote tally at all).? We just want to know which would help you better and how we need to change our behavior to give you the best feedback possible. Let's just make that (whatever method you guys chose) the standard and try to get everybody else to act in like kind. my 2 cents.

Thx

Ed

the real irony is this question comes up about once every 6 months. Very meta

+1 for +1

Q-Droid

+1 for +1

Perhaps the sort of info that ought to be in a locked sticky?

+1 for +1

I hear ya. The question is "have the devs ever answered?". Which do they prefer that we use? Im okay with either (or both). I just need to know the rules so that I can participatethe right way. I too asked previously if they kept a prioritized list of FRs. The answer was no, not exactly. That they sort by way of popularity and voting. It just wasn't exactly revealed how that voting is tallied. If its both (likes and +1s) then its no big deal since all are counted. But if one or the other is ignored, I'd like ti know which so I can stop using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I think they have previously said they prefer people to like the first post but they take all activity into account. I’m not sure I’d say that the things they prioritise would necessarily reflect that though...

• Like 1

I removed the poll from this topic because it was just adding confusion.  Right now, we want to us the "likes" on the first post to track interest but we understand that a lot of folks don't realize that so we also look at traffic (from people other than the same few bringing it back up again and again :)).

We also have to consider a lot of other factors (like impact on the system, difficulty of implementation etc.) and take into account that only a very small percentage of people will ever come here to vote.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Q-Droid

I removed the poll from this topic because it was just adding confusion.  Right now, we want to us the "likes" on the first post to track interest but we understand that a lot of folks don't realize that so we also look at traffic (from people other than the same few bringing it back up again and again :)).

We also have to consider a lot of other factors (like impact on the system, difficulty of implementation etc.) and take into account that only a very small percentage of people will ever come here to vote.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

@@ebr, @@Luke - can you create a pinned and locked post in this sub-forum stating as much? It would help people who are new to the Emby forum and maybe prevent the recurring theme, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

thx