Multi-Version Episode behaviour inconsistent

invader

invader

I’ve looked at the supported format in:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Which shows the following format:

show name - S01E01 - Display Name 1.ext

show name - S01E01 - Display Name 2.ext

I was thinking that it would just be the last hyphen that was the trigger but perhaps me having more hyphens after show name and episode name is causing issues.

Here are my tests:

My original chosen naming style is:

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1-1080p.x264.AAC

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1-1080p.x265.AAC

These show up in the Emby drop down like this:

5e7ead71954c7_2.png

I assumed the lack of spaces on the last hyphen were the issue. So I changed them:

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1 - 1080p.x264.AAC

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1 - 1080p.x265.AAC

These show up in the Emby drop down like this (same thing):

5e7ead364e659_1.png

I realise that the Emby recommended format doesn’t include the episode name. So I tired:

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - 1080p.x264.AAC.mp4
Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - 1080p.x265.AAC.mp4

Same thing in the Emby drop down:

5e7eada698262_3.png

Now this is where things get weird. If I add all 4 variations of the formats that I already tested individually. IE I have:
Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - 1080p.x264.AAC.mp4

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - 1080p.x265.AAC.mp4

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1 - 1080p.x264.AAC.mp4

Batman - The Animated Series - S01E01 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1 - 1080p.x265.AAC.mp4

I get this:

5e7eadcbc0ae2_4.png

The highlighted 2 are exactly what I want and was expecting. But when I have these 2 files by themselves I don’t get the same result.

Long story short I think either there is a bug or I’m asking for a feature request of just looking at what’s after the last hyphen and showing that in the drop down.

Happy2Play

There is really no naming scheme restriction for TV as they will get grouped by Season/Episode informations, but don't know how the drop down label applies to each version specifically.

But I can say testing what you provided above, I get the same results. 

crusher11

What shows up in the drop down is the first character that differs from any other episode name. So in your initial test the names are identical until the x264 and x265, which is why the drop down names start with 4 and 5.

• Like 1

It trims off all common characters starting from the beginning and only shows you what's remaining from the right-hand side.

invader

What shows up in the drop down is the first character that differs from any other episode name. So in your initial test the names are identical until the x264 and x265, which is why the drop down names start with 4 and 5.

Ohhh I see! Makes sense. So I suppose it’s a feature request. I think it would be better to be show everything after the last hyphen. Maybe it’s more designed for things like “directors cut” etc. and people aren’t using it for different encoded versions.

crusher11

It works that way for movies (I have two versions of The Shining labeled "US Cut" and "UK Cut"), just not for episodes. Not entirely sure why that is.