BLAlley

ANSWERED Question about Folder Icons

BLAlley

I noticed when I add a new movie to a folder the Icon I applied is deleted and replaced with a random cover image from one of the movies. 

Thanks

Luke

Hi there, can you please show a screenshot example? thanks.

BLAlley

Hi there, can you please show a screenshot example? thanks.

I already re-added the deleted icon, but when I add another file I'll get a screenshot.

Luke

Great, thanks.

BLAlley

Here you are. I added another movie to the folder, updated the metadata in the folder menu, then backed out and reopened the list of folders and the icon changed from the one I set.

Before

4wopLSi.jpg

After

77HVfrs.jpg

Luke

What images are inside the disney folder?

BLAlley

What images are inside the disney folder?

The movie cover images Emby found.

MlPIHg1.jpg

Luke

No I mean in your file system?

BLAlley

No I mean in your file system?

Oh!  None. Windows doesn't allow images to be added to video files so their thumbnails are random frames from the video generated by Windows.

Luke

I mean what are the contents of your disney folder?

BLAlley

I mean what are the contents of your disney folder?

Just the video files

BLAlley
Posted (edited)

To update, the Disney icon changed itself again without adding a new movie file. To the same art, too. Is there a place I should be keeping the image files?

Edited by BLAlley

BLAlley

I think I figured it out and am stupid. I was adding new movies using Refresh Meta Data instead of Scan Library Files. 

Happy2Play

Okay that is folder view and if the folder does not have a image it will inherit a image from the first item within that folder ie Aladdin.  All your other folders appear to have a Square image and the inherited image is not square.  So you have a Poster presented in a square to maintain uniformity.

How are you adding the Disney image shown in Before image?  I would assume it is not making it to the Disney folder and is being removed in a scan and inheriting first item.  Do all your other folders actually contain their image in their folder?

BLAlley

Okay that is folder view and if the folder does not have a image it will inherit a image from the first item within that folder ie Aladdin.  All your other folders appear to have a Square image and the inherited image is not square.  So you have a Poster presented in a square to maintain uniformity.

How are you adding the Disney image shown in Before image?  I would assume it is not making it to the Disney folder and is being removed in a scan and inheriting first item.  Do all your other folders actually contain their image in their folder?

I use Edit Images to add the folder icons I created. They all reside in the main Videos folder in Windows.

Happy2Play

I use Edit Images to add the folder icons I created. They all reside in the main Videos folder in Windows.

So the Disney image actually resides in the Disney folder, correct?

BLAlley

So the Disney image actually resides in the Disney folder, correct?

No, the folder icons are in the same parent folder as all the category folders.

Happy2Play

No, the folder icons are in the same parent folder as all the category folders.

That would be odd as if I apply a image via Folders view, it saves directly to that folder.  Only thing I could think would be Emby does not have write permissions and is saving \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folder and scan is not maintaining that image.

So you are saying there are no images in any of your Movies library subfolders?

BLAlley

That would be odd as if I apply a image via Folders view, it saves directly to that folder.  Only thing I could think would be Emby does not have write permissions and is saving \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folder and scan is not maintaining that image.

So you are saying there are no images in any of your Movies library subfolders?

Correct. Only the movies are inside the folders. So far it's working well now that I know to scan and not update metadata.

BLAlley

UPDATE

Even after moving the folder images into their respective folders and even naming them so they are the first file in the folder the app still randomly swaps them for the cover art of the first video file in the folder. 

Happy2Play

Sorry I don't understand as the folder/poster image of said folder will always appear in folder view.

5e925ca7ab83f_folder.jpg

Happy2Play
Posted (edited)

I even made a folder read only without a folder image and assigned one via the UI and is was applied and saved to \library and did every library scan possible and the applied image never changed.

Edited by Happy2Play

BLAlley

I'm sure glad people can seek help only to be told they are imagining their issues. 

Happy2Play
Posted (edited)

Sorry you will need to provide every aspect of your setup in order for someones else to attempt to reproduce your issue.  I have provided two steps where I can not reproduce what you are seeing.  It could ever be just a different datadate issue then my new test systems.  No one knows as this only appear to affect your specific setup.

I can only test and guess.  Can you apply a image, do a scan showing the change in the same log?

Edited by Happy2Play

BLAlley

I have no idea what other information you could possibly need unless you specify, so I will try this one more time.

Without adding new movies and only using the browser refresh, this happened again, to three random folders this time.

J9S55Y7.jpg

My folder icons are inside the folder they represent and are labeled so they appear as the first file.

jEGv5Rr.jpg

Even so, the Emby app is randomly replacing my Folder Icon to the Emby-captured cover art associated with the first video file in the respective folder.