Sending message and play and stop button on dashboard device(s) not working and or visible

heula

heula

I recently reinstalled my Emby server on Shield TV and now I have some issues with the option to send messages and control play and pause per device from the Emby dashboard.

The send message button is visible on both my Shield TV (Kodi) devices but it does not send. The play and stop buttons are not visible.

My son has Kodi on his PC and there it is all working fine. Also when I play from my Ipad I see that it's working from there.

It seems Shield TV related, I have checked and compared all my settings with the PC but they are all the same.

So, I see what is playing on the Shield TV devices but that's it.

Also sometimes now playing on the Emby dashboard does not work at all when something is playing on any device. It is hit or miss at some times.

Emby Server for Shield TV 4.4.0.40

post-310-0-35363900-1585299867_thumb.jpg

embyserver-63720674561.txt

embyserver-63720679646.txt

embyserver-63720691200.txt

Thanks.

Edited by heula

These capabilities are controlled (or advertised) by the app you are playing with.  In this instance, that appears to be Kodi, correct?

heula

These capabilities are controlled (or advertised) by the app you are playing with.  In this instance, that appears to be Kodi, correct?

Yes, I thought so too. The settings in Kodi for that are the same on my shield tv as in Kodi on the PC where it does work from.

Maybe they've implemented it in a way that it won't show the message during video playback.

heula

The weird thing is that it worked before I reinstalled the server on the Shield tv.

Kodi settings were untouched.

heula

One thing is different.
The server I was running on was 4.4.0.30 beta
The server I am running on now is 4.4.0.40 stable.

I made a full backup of the server after the reinstall and yesterday I tried the new 4.5.0.1 but the minute I opened the web app on my iPad the the server crasht. There was no easy way back so I copied all back-upped files back to get the stable server version 4.4.0.40 back.

Is there an easier way to go back from beta to stable if things go wrong. Does the backup configuration utility work for that? So I can keep trying and testing the beta versions but can go back if a version really does not work (keeps crashing) for me at all
Hope this info helps.

Thanks.

Edit: I see the 4.5.0.1 beta version has been removed from the download page.

Edited by heula

heula

It sometimes shows a whole different episode on the Emby now playing dashboard than I am really playing in Kodi.

I'm going to move this to the Kodi forum because this information is sent to the server from the client app so I suspect that is where the root of these issues lie.

Thanks.

• Like 1

heula

I also see one device twice sometimes. Usually only the Shield TV devices.

post-310-0-87144300-1585583551_thumb.jpg

heula

Because I wanted to test if this issue exist with Emby server for Synology Nas I have done a Emby database reset in Kodi and did a setup with the Emby Server on my Synology nas.

I can say now that this is not the case. All is working fine with this server.

So with this knowledge I did a new database reset to return back to Emby server for Shield TV. I was after finishing this surprised to see that it now als worked on Emby server fir Shield tv.

I tested with a Kodi on a second Shield TV and here the issue still existed. I have to do a database reset there als.

It seems fixed but I do share my server logs from both servers so you can take a look it if you want to.

post-310-0-77674700-1585676412_thumb.jpg

post-310-0-42666400-1585676318_thumb.jpg

embyserver Synogy nas.txt

embyserver Shield TV.txt

Edited by heula

The server uses a web socket connection to send this command to the apps. Over time, it's normal for the socket to become disconnected and the apps need to reconnect when this happens.

It's possible that Emby for Kodi needs improvement in this area and that's why sometimes you can't send the messages.

heula

The server uses a web socket connection to send this command to the apps. Over time, it's normal for the socket to become disconnected and the apps need to reconnect when this happens.

It's possible that Emby for Kodi needs improvement in this area and that's why sometimes you can't send the messages.

Could be, you are the expert

It is not only a message sending issue but also play and stop option.