Emby is not displaying all photos in some directories

zBernie
Go to solution Solved by zBernie,

zBernie

I have a library of home photos and videos.  But I just took some photos and a video of my kids birthday, and the entire directory is not being displayed.  Some other directories show black squares where the photo thumbnail should be.  I tried rescanning the library, and refreshing the metadata, but that doesn't seem to help.  I thought it might be a permissions issue with Emby on my Synology NAS, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm unable to update Emby.  When managing Emby the message below is shown indicating there is an update available.  But it tells me to use the Synology DSM to update.  I've never had before, normally updates were automatic, and I just had to restart Emby.

Version 4.3.1.0

A new version of Emby Server is available!

Version 4.4.0.40 is now available for download.

Please login to DSM and go to Package Center to update.

Running on http port 8096.

zBernie

What is the folder structure of the photo library?

I have this folder structure, then beneath each year there are folder for each event, holidays, birthdays, etc.

\\ds418\Media Library\Family_Media\2020

zBernie

What is the folder structure of the photo library?

I resolved this issue by adding ownership of the user embysrv on my Synology NAS recursively to all media files.  I know I had done this previously, but I may have changed this at some point due to issues with Photo Station.  I've given embysrv read/write access to the media files, and the PhotoStation user full control.  Hopefully this doesn't case Photo Station issues, which has been a source of consternation for many years!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Solution
zBernie

Thanks for the feedback !

Ultimately, I ran into issues again and deleted Photo Station.  Good riddance!   This resolved the permissions/ownership issues with Emby!   I'm using OneDrive for photo sharing which is SO MUCH BETTER!

Edited by zBernie
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
dirtybeagles

I am a fairly new Emby user and I am having this same issue. I run Emby on a WIN 10 PC and all my personal photos and videos (family and friends, and some iphone uploads through the Emby app), and every one of my directories has images missing. I will upload some examples in this reply. 

My file structure is through an external WD 14TB hard drive with standard windows directory. \Photos\ for photos and \Videos\ for vids. I have 1000s of photos from several years and i thought it was specific to the file type but it isn't. JPEGs have the same issue. I have looked around for a few days for a solution and could not find one besides deleting the corrupted image. The funny thing is I tried Jellyfin and the same photos were not having the issue. 

Screenshot 2021-07-12 111304.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 111325.png

dirtybeagles

My file structure is through an external WD 14TB hard drive with standard windows directory. \Photos\ for photos and \Videos\ for vids

I just looked through all my videos and ALL of them show up correctly with a thumbnail. The photos is where the issue is. 

dirtybeagles

Here are the settings to one of the directories: 

Screen Grabber is enabled, but that sounds like it is only used for Videos. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.58.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.59.42 PM.png

dirtybeagles

I removed and readded the directory and the only option for content is "Home photos & videos". 

I think it is an issue with Mobile pictures being uploaded to the directories. It seems to be something with the metedata on mobile pictures. The weird thing is it is not just the thumbnail that is broken, the photo doesnt open at all and displays the broken file icon. 

dirtybeagles

I also restarted EMBY services a few times and refreshed and still same results with the same pictures too. 

I assume the corruption is happening because it is a mobile aka, iphone picture, but some iphone photos show up with no issues. 

Please attach the emby server log from when you tried to display the images. Thanks.

• Like 1

dirtybeagles

I have a few more details. I am pretty sure that the issue is the iphone picture format even though it is using JPEG. Every single picture is a JPEG format, but the iphone may be doing something to the metedata that is not getting picked up by EMBY. 

An example is attacked. Image name 507Mobile-071221.jpeg, 508, 509 will not display in EMBY, broken. but image 567Mobile-071221.jpeg works no issues. 1517687531_ScreenShot2021-07-14at11_12_51AM.png.1d44ff1fc83214c76fd4719f941c47b7.png

If these aren't anything private, could you zip up a few working and not working pics so we can test with them?

dirtybeagles

I can do that. there is no PII data with this information. Just a baby picture. give me a few. you should get the same result with 1 photo working and 1 photo not working. Let me know when you have the files, maybe i can remove the .zip once you have it. 

sorry they are large files. 

<Deleted Samples>

Edited by dirtybeagles