Local Trailers (in Cinema Mode) are broken. Server side issue.

Villiam

Villiam
3 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Either way - its partly working as needed - just turn off intos for now till Luke puts out another fix

No fix is going to magically come out from Luke or anyone else *unless* we all complain about it here (which is exactly what I'm doing), so please don't tell us to simply ignore this until it's fixed. This problem has been going on for almost 2 years now. I'm still waiting for the magical fix you allude to.. 😂👎🤦

4 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Just tested with custom intro and codec and no trailers play at all

Reporting and fixing that problem is literally the reason this thread was created.

4 hours ago, cayars said:

Go back and read the ops expanded setup.  He is using the Intros and this is what he's reporting as a problem and what others have concurred don't work.

If you turn that off OR rename the trailer to the same name as the movie it does work but shouldn't have to do either.

The op is trying to display 2 trailers plus the cinema intro.

That configuration doesn't work for me either.

Thank you for understanding. I'm not sure why this is so hard for everyone to grasp. Is a very simple problem that I have been explaining. Is also very simple to replicate, and very simple to solve.

3 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Happy2Play

There is a something odd here as SOME movies will play local trailers-custom intro-then media, but others will play only intro-media.  

So in my tests it is Random as some media will play local trailers and some will not.

I noticed this as well last night Happy2Play as I left it configured that way to look for a pattern.

I'm now taking note of codec and container as I playback to see if this has anything to do with it. 

Villiam
9 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

There is a something odd here as SOME movies will play local trailers-custom intro-then media, but others will play only intro-media.  

So in my tests it is Random as some media will play local trailers and some will not.

In my tests it all depends on the name of the trailer in a "Trailers" subfolder (Within each movie folder). If the trailer is named *exactly* the same as the main movie folder with a "-trailer" addon, then it works. If anything else, it fails to play prior to the custom cinema intro.

Example:

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /trailers
         homealonetrailer.mkv

Result ----> Failure.

If I change it to this then it works...

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /trailers
         Home Alone (1990)-trailer.mkv

Happy2Play

Personally I do not do trailers subfolders, all my trailers are next to media.  And get random results of trailers working and not working.  Don't see any pattern as majority has the same codecs and containers.

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     Home Alone (1990).mp4
     Home Alone (1990)-trailer.mp4

8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally I do not do trailers subfolders, all my trailers are next to media.  And get random results of trailers working and not working.  Don't see any pattern as majority has the same codecs and containers.

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     Home Alone (1990).mp4
     Home Alone (1990)-trailer.mp4

Same for me as well using this format and getting the same results (shocking) as Happy2Play.

I typically only use the trailers folder for testing but not for my personal use.

Nat-Chan
On 7/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Happy2Play said:

Go in Emby to the meta-information of the Movie-Entry and remove the age rating. That should work.

30 minutes ago, Nat-Chan said:

Go in Emby to the meta-information of the Movie-Entry and remove the age rating. That should work.

What do you mean? 

If you have 10,000 movies with trailers you're going to remove the age rating of each movie?  Then parental ratings won't work.

That a cure worse then the disease. :)

If the user doing the test doesn't have any parental restraints, this shouldn't even matter.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
36 minutes ago, Nat-Chan said:

Are you referring to disabling "Enable smart parental control" in Cinema Intros settings?

Enable smart parental control
Trailers will only be selected with a parental rating equal to or less than the content being watched.

I have it currently disabled and get the same Random results.

• Like 1

I don't think it's related to file naming. For those handy with sqlite, can you open up your db and find the local trailers. Do they have genres, studios, actors, etc?

skidmarks
6 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't think it's related to file naming. For those handy with sqlite, can you open up your db and find the local trailers. Do they have genres, studios, actors, etc?

There's a few NULL entries that seem strange to an uneducated soul like myself!  🙂

I'll post a few trailer entries from the db shortly.

Edited by skidmarks

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Sorted MediaItems table with Type 10

Only thing that really stands out is local trailers do not have really any metadata vs online trailers.  But they have genres and studios. 

Local does not have any OfficialRating but would think that would only apply to smart parental control.

Local has 0 for InheritedParentalRating vs online has a value.

No Parentids for Local trailers

• Like 1

I can't get to my DB at the moment to look but Happy2Play could you try Cinema to get a trailer to play then look at that specific trailer that worked to see if it's different or what it does have?

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

I can't get to my DB at the moment to look but Happy2Play could you try Cinema to get a trailer to play then look at that specific trailer that worked to see if it's different or what it does have?

@Luke the only variable I just found is item with no Parental rating will play local trailer.  All item with a set parental rating will not play local trailer.  This is with the Smart Parental Control setting disabled.  

When I get a chance tomorrow I will do some DB editing to trailers applying OfficialRating and/or InheritedParentalRating to see what happens.

• Thanks 1

skidmarks

I have yet to stumble upon a movie that will actually play a local trailer using cinema intros...

I have pulled a few trailers from the db and put them into an excel spread sheet.  If that is helpful i can PM.

But @Happy2Play pretty much summed it up in the post above.

Happy2Play

Can someone test removing Parental Rating from a movie and see if local trailers play?

In my test removing Parental Rating allowed local trailers to play.  So to me it is OfficialRating and/or InheritedParentalRating related issue.

Edited by Happy2Play

That didn't seem to help at least the way I did it.  I edited a movie that has a local trailer from within the web, edit matadata, set the rating to the top entry which is blank.

Now either this isn't the problem OR that blank selection is marking the DB differently then if it's null or empty. But doing it the way I did it for a couple of movies didn't help on my system.

EDIT: I had parental control off in cinema but just tried it turned on as well to cover both bases and no change.

Edited by cayars

Happy2Play

With a quick test adding OfficialRating value to local trailers in the database, those local trailers began to play in all items.  

Filtered type column with /5|10/ (filters movie and trailer), sorted Path column to group movie and trailer, and copied the movies OfficialRating value to the trailer on a handful if items.

So in my tests All items with no Parental rating play local trailers, and now the trailers that I added OfficialRating play on items.

So is there a sql guru that could provide the command to copy the movies OfficialRating to local trailers?

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So in my tests All items with no Parental rating play local trailers, and now the trailers that I added OfficialRating play on items.

Not sure I follow that.  Can you rephrase what you mean?

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

Not sure I follow that.  Can you rephrase what you mean?

For me all movies that do not have a Parental Rating will play local trailers since neither the Media nor the Local trailer has a OfficialRating.

Now that I have added OfficialRating to a handful of Local Trailers, they play on any media that has a OfficialRating.

Does that make sense?

We shouldn't have to modify the trailers metadata for this to work.  The server should be able to use the ratings found on the actual movie/show if the trailer rating is blank.

This way an admin can add any trailer with the exception of things like unrated or redband trailers where they would need to specifically set a rating.

Happy2Play

@Luke will have to comment but truly the local trailer should inherit all of its movie metadata, or at least all required metadata for Cinema Mode.  As I see it a null trailer value would never be played with Smart Parental controls.  But to me that is broke right now also as with it disabled should play all null ratings.

19 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

In my test removing Parental Rating allowed local trailers to play.  So to me it is OfficialRating and/or InheritedParentalRating related issue.

What is that?  I don't see that editing metadata for a movie?  Is that a database field?

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

What is that?  I don't see that editing metadata for a movie?  Is that a database field?

Database field, all trailers I add OfficailRating to now play before media.  Ones that are null do not.

db.thumb.jpg.8060f797a2ef88b93bbc1f82d41576a7.jpg

Thanks for that.  Makes sense to me now!

Edited by cayars