Local Trailers (in Cinema Mode) are broken. Server side issue.

Villiam

Villiam

Hi guys,

Long time user here... back from the MB 1.0 days! Anyways I've had an issue with Local Trailers not playing correctly for the past year or so now. I finally narrowed it down today and determined the cause.

There's two basic ways that local trailers can be stored and named. First is to have the trailer in the same folder as the movie file itself, with an identical name plus the -trailer suffix. Alternatively you can have a /Trailers sub-folder within each movie folder, as listed here..

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159193-trailers

Alternatively, trailers can also be stored in a trailers sub-folder. Bluray and Dvd folder rip structures must use a trailers sub-folder.

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /VIDEO_TS
     /trailers
         trailer.mkv

Traditionally any file in the /Trailers sub folder would be played as a local trailer. It could be named "Trailer.mkv", "Transformerstrailer.mkv" "1.mkv", etc. The name itself didn't matter much, and it definitely didn't have to have the exact same name as the movie file in the main folder, or the exact same name as the main folder itself.

However, this seems to have changed and is broken. After much testing I have determined that NO local trailers play unless they are named identical to the main movie folders name, with the addition of the -trailer suffix. It doesn't matter that the trailer is in the /trailers sub folder. This completely negates the reason for having the subfolder method to begin with. Can someone please work on fixing this and having Emby Server recognize any file in the trailers subfolder as a trailer once more?

Thank you!

Hi there, can you please give an example of your folder structure and file naming? It seems to be working just fine from here. Thanks.

Villiam

Example:

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /trailers
         homealonetrailer.mkv

Result ----> Failure.

If I change it to this then it works...

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /trailers
         Home Alone (1990)-trailer.mkv

Sammy

Example:

/Movies

/Home Alone (1990)

/trailers

homealonetrailer.mkv

Result ----> Failure.

If I change it to this then it works...

/Movies

/Home Alone (1990)

/trailers

Home Alone (1990)-trailer.mkv

I suppose you have a lot of movies and editing the file names for all of them would be cumbersome?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

crusher11

Changing names to work around this bug isn't possible if you have multiple trailers for the same film.

It also shouldn't be necessary.

Villiam

What else is in the home alone folder?

Just backdrop 1/2/3/4/5, Movie.xml file, folder.jpg. 

I suppose you have a lot of movies and editing the file names for all of them would be cumbersome?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

You hit the nail on the head. I'm sure I can write a script to rename all -trailer files to be the host folder name plus -trailer, but I haven't written a script in years, I'm sure it'd miss something, and it's just not needed.

Changing names to work around this bug isn't possible if you have multiple trailers for the same film.

It also shouldn't be necessary.

Agreed. Some trailers are just in the trailer folder labeled as 1/2/3 and so forth. There's really no reason why the default behavior shouldn't be to just play any 1 random file that's within the /Trailers subfolder of each main movie folder.

Has anyone else checked to see if they're getting this same behavior? The only local trailers I have playing for any theater mode intro are the ones I've manually gone through and renamed to match the movie folder name exactly with a -trailer suffix. I imagine you may not notice that it's not working if part of your trailer collection does have the precisely matching trailer and main folder naming. I only noticed because I suddenly had no trailers playing (last summer), then recently after playing with the names was able to get two trailers to play, and so forth.

My overall setting is .. Two trailers play ---> Custom intro plays---->Movie plays.

• 3 weeks later...
Villiam

@@Villiam where is the main movie file?

It's also in that same folder with the backdrop images, etc. 

As a whole the folder and file structure looks like this:

//MEDIASERVER/Movies/Home Alone (1990)

-Home Alone (1990).MKV

-Backdrop1.jpg

-Backdrop2.jpg

-Backdrop3.jpg

-Folder.jpg

-Movie.xml

/trailers

homealonetrailer.mkv

Happy2Play

Trying to understand the overall issue here.  What are the complete Cinema Intros settings?  I am getting primarily getting "-trailer.ext" local trailers, but on select media I do get the any named trailer for /trailers folder for Cinema mode. 

5e95184b7dce5_trailer.jpg

Villiam

Trying to understand the overall issue here.  What are the complete Cinema Intros settings?  I am getting primarily getting "-trailer.ext" local trailers, but on select media I do get the any named trailer for /trailers folder for Cinema mode.

The overall issue is that I do not have any trailers playing when in Cinema mode. (I desire to have 2 local trailers play, then 1 custom intro before each movie). 

-Trailers do play IF trailers are named a very specific way (The file name must match the parent movie folder perfectly.. Which was never before required and goes against the intent of using a sub folder in each movie parent folder to contain trailers)

Here's a few screenshots that should help explain;

(I have cinema intros enabled.. in everywhere required, beyond what just this screenshot shows.)

5e9f7a7fe2926_1.png

I have emby premier. I have local trailers. I have custom intros. All set up properly too.

5e9f7a8ea44e0_2.png

My folder structure terminates as such:

5e9f7ad8c4ce9_3.png

This is what causes the problem:

5e9f7b0cbc225_4.png

Happy2Play

No sure as I am not seeing this behaviour, as shown in post 11 my other named trailers are used.

5e9f7e9065862_test2.jpg

Villiam

No sure as I am not seeing this behaviour, as shown in post 11 my other named trailers are used.

5e9f7e9065862_test2.jpg

Thank you for helping to work this out. How many local trailers do you have play in Cinema Mode (I have two selected, can you try that?) and are you using a custom intro played after the trailers? If not can you see if that changes things? The only other difference I see between our layouts is that my trailer folder is capitalized.. "Trailers" instead of "trailers".

Does the trailer button show on the movie detail screen?

Yes. And every trailer chosen on the movie detail screen plays back perfectly. It's just the preplay Cinema Mode that isn't working correctly.

Edited by Villiam

Happy2Play

Thank you for helping to work this out. How many local trailers do you have play in Cinema Mode (I have two selected, can you try that?) and are you using a custom intro played after the trailers? If not can you see if that changes things? The only other difference I see between our layouts is that my trailer folder is capitalized.. "Trailers" instead of "trailers".

Yes. And every trailer chosen on the movie detail screen plays back perfectly. It's just the preplay Cinema Mode that isn't working correctly.

My settings are/were the same settings you have above, but no Custom intros.  Will get some intros and test some more.

As for Trailers case I know it doesn't matter on a Windows system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
skidmarks

Did this get resolved?  Since my format / backup restore i no longer get a "random" trailer prior to the movie playing...  Could be a beta update since (who knows).  I do get a custom intro though.

526763187_CInemaIntros.thumb.PNG.a6dad0e5be56ce9e2c26588ba7f95cdc.PNG

Every movie has a -trailer in the folder.

Every movie has the trailer button available in the details screen.

Server Version:  4.5.0.13

Cinema Intro Version:  1.0.32.0

Edited by skidmarks

On 6/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, skidmarks said:

Did this get resolved?  Since my format / backup restore i no longer get a "random" trailer prior to the movie playing...  Could be a beta update since (who knows).  I do get a custom intro though.

526763187_CInemaIntros.thumb.PNG.a6dad0e5be56ce9e2c26588ba7f95cdc.PNG

Every movie has a -trailer in the folder.

Every movie has the trailer button available in the details screen.

Server Version:  4.5.0.13

Cinema Intro Version:  1.0.32.0

We'd have to look at an example but it could be caused by the parental control option.

skidmarks

2 hours ago, Luke said:

We'd have to look at an example but it could be caused by the parental control option.

How can i be of assistance?  Server Log after attempting to trigger this action by playing a movie?  I think that possibly restoring from a backup might not have been the best decision for me.

253779963_ParentalControls.thumb.PNG.fcde4209d48673bc720db23eb6610981.PNG

I have PM'd you a fresh server log. 

Thanks!

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks

Trying some more troubleshooting i removed the intro plugin restarted the server.  Re-installed the plugin.  Restarted the sever...  Went to the cinema intro settings page, expecting to have to set it up again, and all the settings (including my custom intro path) was already there.  I would assume that removing the plugin would make the server forget the previous settings?  In the end of this the result remained the same...

Plays one file from my custom intro folder, no random trailer.

Is there a file somewhere in the bowels of emby that i can edit or delete to make it not remember that i was running this plugin?  It was working flawlessly prior to my restore from backup.

Out of Ideas!

Happy2Play

@skidmarks

Your log will tell you but here is an example when I hit save in the plug in. (Oops it looks like this would only be in debug logging)

2020-06-30 18:50:38.946 Debug XmlSerializer: Serializing to file C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\cinemamode.xml

Edited by Happy2Play

skidmarks
On 6/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, Happy2Play said:

@skidmarks

Your log will tell you but here is an example when I hit save in the plug in. (Oops it looks like this would only be in debug logging)

2020-06-30 18:50:38.946 Debug XmlSerializer: Serializing to file C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\cinemamode.xml

Thanks for the reply!  I will check this in the log.  I've been busting my knuckles and smashing fingers under the VW the past couple of days.  Sacrificed some blood so the VW might live!

Thanks...

allineedis

Hi, back after many years and trying to get emby set-up. One of the things I cannot get working is local trailers. First I wanted to open a own topic, but it turns out I have the exact same settings as skidmarks, except I did not enable parental control.

If prefered I can still open a separate topic.  

I am trying to play trailers as intro on a M9702 (Oppo clone). Movies works flawless.

Trailer naming is according to standard. Played around with the trailer in the movie folder or moving it to a separate Trailers folder, both result in no trailer. Current local trailers are .mp4/.mov/.mkv (all play when selected separate).

When I disconnect the Oppo the trailer button on the ipad shows and it plays the local trailer on the ipad. As soon as I enable the Oppo the trailer button is gone.

All one folder

Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos].mkv

Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos].nfo

various jpg art

Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos]-trailer.mkv

Or

Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos].mkv

Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos].nfo

various jpg art

Trailers/Test Movie (2012) [4K Ultra HD] [HDR10] [TrueHD Atmos]-trailer.mkv

skidmarks
On 6/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, Happy2Play said:

@skidmarks

I deleted this file and the file located in both the plugin folders...  restarted server.  Reinstalled the cinema intro plugin... restarted the server.  By deleting the file, from the location above, i did have to add my preferences.  This is what i was looking for, so thanks for that!  Unfortunately, the problem remains.

Guess i will just have to be slightly annoyed that a random trailer is not playing until i rebuild the server the next time.  Pretty positive if i did it from scratch and did not rely on the backup i would not be having this issue.