Minor Issue - Settings Theme

chuckr1958

chuckr1958

This is a minor issue.  After the recent upgrade to 4.4.0.40, the Display/Settings Theme keeps resetting back to "light".   I have mine set to "dark" for the main theme and the settings theme.  The main says the way I set it, but after exiting the web interface and logging back in, the settings theme is set back to "light".  

Happy2Play

Everyone's system did this and you have to manually reset your Settings theme.  Remember this option will have to be set in every browser.

Note everytime the browser cache is deleted/reset this setting will be reset.

Mobius

Hi @@Mobius

The 4.4.0.40 update changed my 'Settings theme' from 'Dark' to 'Light'. If i change it back to 'Dark'  all is fine until I:

• Close the browser (FF ver 74.0) - Reopen it and log in again. (reverts back to 'Light').
  • Leave the browser open (don't log out of the Dashboard); instead open a new tab and log into the 'Dashboard' again. (so 2 simultaneous log ins) Then the 2nd log in instance is back to the 'Light' theme.

Keeping both browser tabs open at this point; I can navigate through all the dashboard settings (playback,display,subtitles,library etc) and the 'Dark theme' one stays Dark and the 'Light Theme' stays light.

Also note that the 'Display Settings' re-ticks:

• Allow automatic seasonal themes
  • Enable theme songs
  • Enable theme videos

Even if i untick them.

Btw I don't see any 'Save button' on the Display page. Is there  suppose to be one somewhere?

Thanks

chuckr1958

I just tested similar functions as Mobius.  Edge and IE work fine when it comes to the theme settings.  Chrome resets every time.  I've been using Chrome on WIndows ever since I switched to Emby and it never reverted back to Light.  Upon a close and re-open, the settings are back to defaults.  It's as if they are not being saved.  

PenkethBoy

It does not do this on chrome for me - just one reset and its good

do you have anything clearing your browser cache - say a plugin or are running in incognito mode etc

Mobius

Can confirm the following on 2 different PC's running Win 10:

Resets to 'Light' after manual change -

• Firefox Developer edition 75.0b8 (64-bit)
  • Firefox ver 74.0 (64-bit)

Keeps theme setting after manual change (so no issue) -

• Microsoft Edge Ver. 44.18362.449.0 (64-bit)
  • Chrome portable Ver 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (32-bit)

- All browsers are set to keep the cache

- No plugins/extensions are deleting the browser cache or cookies

- Have used 'safe mode' in the Firefox browsers so all extensions are disabled (just to be extra certain).

Hope this helps

Mobius

OK SOLVED IT for Me at least

So in my Firefox browser 'Options/Privacy & Security/Cookies & Site Data', I did have "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" ticked.

However this never presented a problem previously.

5e7b65ff1ae79_FFPrivacyCookiesandData.jp

So I unticked it, restarted the browser and manually changed the 'Settings Theme' to Dark and restarted the browser again. IT DIDN'T Work.

Next re-ticked "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" (Which was a mistake), clicked on 'Manage Permissions' added the 'Dashboard' URL (In my case http://192.168.1.4:8096),clicked Allow'. Changed the 'Settings theme' manually again and restarted the browser. IT DIDN'T Work.

This DID Work though:

1. Leaving "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" still unticked  Clicked on 'Manage Permissions' 

5e7b6be731b21_FFPrivacyCookiesandData_de

2. Added the 'Dashboard' URL (In my case http://192.168.1.4:8096),clicked 'Allow' and then 'Save Changes'.

5e7b6a808e0f5_FFCookieSiteData_exception

3. Manually changed the 'Settings Theme" to Dark, restarted the browser and it kept my settings this time.

The problem for me at least seems to be that despite having added the Dashboard URL as an exception to NOT be deleted upon restart; having "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" TICKED, still deleted the site data it seems.

Once I got the browser to retain my settings; I re-ticked the "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" option again and it's working as it should.

Summary:

- Never had to add an exception to the Firefox "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" before.

- Needed to add the Dashboard URL to 'Exceptions - Cookies and Site Data' click 'Allow' and Save Changes'.

- Had to untick "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" before I restarted the browser

- After that I could re-tick "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" and everything is fine.

Hope I this helps.

Edited by Mobius

chuckr1958

Only extensions I have in Chrome is to open a blank tab when selecting a new tab.  Nothing has changed in Chrome since I've started using Emby several weeks ago.  I'm going to reset my Chrome browser to defaults and see what happens and will report back. 

chuckr1958

Found it.  It wasn't Chrome at all.  It was CCleaner with an option to clear the cache in Chrome on exit.  Honestly don't ever remember that option so it may have come in by an update to CCleaner.  I disabled that option and the theme setting now remains in effect.  Thanks to everyone again for putting in the effort to find the problem.  

Mobius

Found it.  It wasn't Chrome at all.  It was CCleaner with an option to clear the cache in Chrome on exit.  Honestly don't ever remember that option so it may have come in by an update to CCleaner.  I disabled that option and the theme setting now remains in effect.  Thanks to everyone again for putting in the effort to find the problem.  

Glad you got it sorted :).

• 2 months later...
chuckr1958

I apologize for re-opening this issue, but after some testing, it was not CCleaner clearing the cookies and cache upon the browser close, it was the browser itself.  I use Microsoft Edge and don't recall having the issues as described.  But I figure that I could add an exception to the browser to NOT clear the cookies and cache for my Emby dashboard.  Although the exceptions work well for sites that follow the www.site.com syntax, I can't seem to set it for the IP address.   It accepts it into the exception rule but always clears it regardless how I enter it.  I know it is probably a browser issue or a Microsoft issue and not that of Emby developers, I was just hoping that someone may have experienced this and came up with a solution.