FR: Server: Auto Delete Watched after "N" Days

trusselo

Michael Poulsen

Have been waiting for this for a long time, but it doesnt seem to come in any updates.

What i did was.

install trakt on emby server and sync content

install plex server and add my library there too

install trakt on plex server and enable sync

set all shows to delete one day after watched in plex

it only works on one user, have one kid that newer delete files, i have enabled this for his library, and then i delete what i have seen manually.

Edited by Michael Poulsen

• 2 weeks later...

Have been waiting for this for a long time, but it doesnt seem to come in any updates.

What i did was.

install trakt on emby server and sync content

install plex server and add my library there too

install trakt on plex server and enable sync

set all shows to delete one day after watched in plex

it only works on one user, have one kid that newer delete files, i have enabled this for his library, and then i delete what i have seen manually.

So you installed Plex (as well as Emby) merely for the auto-deleting feature! Says it all really. Do you still use Emby or do you still dual run both as there's quite a functional overlap with the two.

Michael Poulsen

I only use emby, I know i could stop using emby, but now I have used it for years, so Plex is only for the auto delete part.

datalore44

I only use emby, I know i could stop using emby, but now I have used it for years, so Plex is only for the auto delete part.

I didn't even know plex had an auto delete function built in?

Michael Poulsen

it has, but you have to set it for each show.

only thing i touched was, delete one day after watched or something like that

datalore44

Ok, thanks. I think for now I will stick with kodi 18 with janitor as it is all automatic.

I still do not understand why this is not a core function of all these players!

Maybe they think they will get sued if the user accidentally removes a treasured piece of footage or movie/show.

Why do you not just use plex or kodi instead of emby?

I am testing emby atm, but have not really found anything different about it compared to the others.

Emby=multi user free

Plex=multi user premium

Is this the only notable difference? I only have one user for the whole family. Thinking of changing. Been such a disruptive experience with the new 4.0 server and emby for Kodi plug-in.

1+

I agree this others who think that it should be a plug-in. User definable timers. Prefer it for TV Series only. What also might be nice to know is, if flagged for deletion, to put an optional field on the Series or Season or at the Episode level showing if that it is scheduled for deletion and how much time is left before the deletion occurs and a way of undeleting it in case someone changes their mind.

• 1 month later...
JohnWhitmore

I have found one way to do this...but it is fairly manual.

You can use the webportal version of Emby. Go into each folder, filter "played" items, select each of the shows and then delete.

I the short term, it would be nice if this option could be extended by allowing recursive search/filtering withing all sub folders in a library, and adding a select all button.

Please?????

Thank you team

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Kurosh

Hi Emby devs / Luke?

Is this long requested feature any closer? Quite clear how popular / requested it is.

As always, thanks again or a fantastic application.

Edited by Kurosh

legallink

Hi Emby devs / Luke?

Is this long requested feature any closer? Quite clear how popular / requested it is.

As always, thanks again or a fantastic application.

The way I understand it is that any FR outside of the dev's ideas of the long terms plans of the platform are prioritized by the amount of "love" the FR gets from the community.  This one hasn't gotten a ton of love yet that I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...
Kurosh

The way I understand it is that any FR outside of the dev's ideas of the long terms plans of the platform are prioritized by the amount of "love" the FR gets from the community.  This one hasn't gotten a ton of love yet that I can tell.

All relative I suppose. Got any examples of an "FR outside of the dev's ideas of the long term plans..." which have a ton of love? I think this feature is desired by many but perhaps I'm wrong :|

• Like 1

daedalus

Delete after days would be best. 

user should be able to decide, seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, what ever he want

hinsdale65

i was jut about to purchase lifetime Emby subscription but not having this feature is holding me back.  

I have been trying to convert fully to Emby since it was Media Browser,  It really has come along way.  Kudos to the developers.  BUT a Live TV/DVR device these days (1000's of channels and 1000's of shows) that doesn't prioritize incorporating some sort of auto delete or cleanup mechanism seems to me pretty short-sighted. I hope it comes soon, looking forward to making the full conversion to Emby.  

Edited by hinsdale65

Spaceboy

i was jut about to purchase lifetime Emby subscription but not having this feature is holding me back.

I have been trying to convert fully to Emby since it was Media Browser, It really has come along way. Kudos to the developers. BUT a Live TV/DVR device these days (1000's of channels and 1000's of shows) that doesn't prioritize incorporating some sort of auto delete or cleanup mechanism seems to me pretty short-sighted. I hope it comes soon, looking forward to making the full conversion to Emby.

well it does, just not the way you want it. For example I have all my recurring shows set up to keep the last X shows. This perfectly meets our needs as we’ve always watched them in a timely manner

macbean

well it does, just not the way you want it. For example I have all my recurring shows set up to keep the last X shows. This perfectly meets our needs as we’ve always watched them in a timely manner

That's not the same thing.  what you describe means shows get deleted whether they are watched or not.  

Doesn't work for pretty much anyone else that's posted here.  

Spaceboy

That's not the same thing.  what you describe means shows get deleted whether they are watched or not.  

Doesn't work for pretty much anyone else that's posted here.  

you mean apart from the post i quoted?

BUT a Live TV/DVR device these days (1000's of channels and 1000's of shows) that doesn't prioritize incorporating some sort of auto delete or cleanup mechanism seems to me pretty short-sighted

highlighted as you clearly have a reading / comprehension problem

macbean

not sure why the quick move to insults but my point stands.  This entire topic is about deleting watched items after a set amount of time.  Having a setting that only keeps the most X recent is (in my mind at least) a separate topic.  what you quoted doesn't say anything about where they have watched or not.  

• Like 2

Spaceboy

not sure why the quick move to insults but my point stands. This entire topic is about deleting watched items after a set amount of time. Having a setting that only keeps the most X recent is (in my mind at least) a separate topic. what you quoted doesn't say anything about where they have watched or not.

but I didn’t respond to the thread I responded to a specific comment about there being no way of cleaning up server recordings. You still seem to be overlooking that.

Plus your comparison to what’s available on a standard dvr is also misguided. Emby is a multi user system and each user may or may not watch a recording. That’s a significantly more complex scenario to manage. Yes I’d like to see this but I can see there is quite a bit more development required before this is possible. Don’t hold your breath