FR: Server: Auto Delete Watched after "N" Days

trusselo

Any plans to bake this into Emby Server as it would be nice if could be incorporated into interface where you could exclude certain series that you'd like to keep?

• 5 months later...
macbean

I apparently didn't do a very good search and missed this.  Just posted a duplicate in which this posting was referenced.  Just wondering if there was any new info about plans for this?  

• 3 weeks later...
Kurosh

sweet.  I'll see what I can throw together.  thanks

Hi @mastrmind11  -   do you have an interim solution you could share until this gets officially baked into Emby natively?

mastrmind11

Hi @mastrmind11  -   do you have an interim solution you could share until this gets officially baked into Emby natively?

I haven't implemented anything, been too crazy around here.  I'll post back here if/when I get something working.

• 3 months later...
soupy14

+1

i think Plex Server has this capability, really don't want to migrate but this feature is so useful.

Must have for emby +1

Would love to get this too. Theres so many shows out there, that you just watch one time. Would be cool to have a setting on every show to set them to auto delete or archive or sth.

Thank you

• Like 1

sfatula

With DVR, this is really needed. Not everyone deletes things they watch. Also, not every show can always be watched. MythTV has a good model. There are a few different concepts. One is whether or not a given program can be auto deleted. This is set in the dvr recording "Timer", it's the perfect place for it. If it can be auto deleted, then you attach the rules. I believe this is most important for DVR files, more-so than other parts of Emby. 

You also have a setting whether or not you can delete the oldest if you run out of space. You can also say how many to keep. This is all controlled when you schedule a timer, which is where I believe it belongs for the DVR portion. 

You can also say how many to keep. 

We already have this setting.  Just open one of your series timers in the web app.

sfatula

We already have this setting.  Just open one of your series timers in the web app.

Yes, I do realize that. Just saying by itself not good enough. For example, say I keep the last 5 of show X. Now, show x ends until 9 months from now, for those 9 months, I will still have the last 5 recordings. And if a show is cancelled, I would have them forever unless I delete them manually. I prefer to not delete them (I realize others may want to and that of course avoids the problem), so as to not make a mistake) and let the system clean itself up. Also, for non scheduled recordings, in certain libraries (like other video directory where for me, I download and put video there, I'd like for those to expire. 

Just trying to throw out some use cases you may or may not have on your planned change list. 

Yes, I do realize that. Just saying by itself not good enough. For example, say I keep the last 5 of show X. Now, show x ends until 9 months from now, for those 9 months, I will still have the last 5 recordings. And if a show is cancelled, I would have them forever unless I delete them manually. I prefer to not delete them (I realize others may want to and that of course avoids the problem), so as to not make a mistake) and let the system clean itself up. Also, for non scheduled recordings, in certain libraries (like other video directory where for me, I download and put video there, I'd like for those to expire. 

Just trying to throw out some use cases you may or may not have on your planned change list. 

That's fine but you listed it in your list of things we needed so I wanted to be sure others reading realized we already have this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
lavasurfer

This is defiantly one of the most missed features of WMC.  About 1/3 of the content on my server is for other people (parents and kids) that do not delete a single thing and I spend a ton of time figuring out what they have and haven't watched to I can purge it.

A step further would be some rules so Emby can look for the watched status for a certain user.  Having a shorter window for watched shows vs. unwatched shows.  I would set it for say 180 days on unwatched shows and 30 days for watched shows.  I have a habit of letting a full season accumulate on Emby before watching so I can binge it Netflix style. There are certain shows that I don't watch what so ever, and of course some that I do so it would have to make sure everyone has watched it before deleting.  Which I'm sure is way more complicated on the back end of things to accomplish.  But it would make Emby truly stand out in the crowd!

• 1 month later...
datalore44

I also would like this feature included. In kodi I use janitor which auto deletes my movies and tvshows when I have watched them. This would be a great addition to emby.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emby devs / Luke?

Apologies for asking again but as it's been 4 months or so I thought I'd try again... :|

Is there any plan to work on this feature in the near future? I know you all agree it's a good idea and many have requested it, just wondering if it's on the roadmap to be worked on eventually.

Thanks for everything :)

Yes this is planned for the future. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks.

If you're recording these shows, there are option in the series recorder that allows you to keep X number of shows, or only shows within the last x days.

I do this for the 15 or so shows I record on Fox News, CNN and a few other News shows.

sfatula

If you're recording these shows, there are option in the series recorder that allows you to keep X number of shows, or only shows within the last x days.

I do this for the 15 or so shows I record on Fox News, CNN and a few other News shows.

Yeo, but not good enough. There are one time ever shows, there are shows that get discontinued, and it just consumes wasted space when really, I already watched them and will not watch them again. There's a delete after x days? Where? You said "or only shows within the last x days", this is almost exactly what this enhancement request is about! Though this is for watched shows.

Do I still need the BCS games for another year? Do I still need episodes of "the last ship" taking up space? etc.

Edited by sfatula

I don't see it now.  All I see now is Keep x number of episodes.

I could have swore it was an option but I must have confused it with one of the other DVR programs I've got.

Thinking outside the box this could be scripted to run outside of Emby.  You could script something like:

Only allow X episodes in a folder and if more then X delete oldest files.

Delete any files older than Y days old.

That wouldn't work on watched status but would give all users Y days to watch the content before it self destructs. :)

sfatula

I don't see it now.  All I see now is Keep x number of episodes.

I could have swore it was an option but I must have confused it with one of the other DVR programs I've got.

Thinking outside the box this could be scripted to run outside of Emby.  You could script something like:

Only allow X episodes in a folder and if more then X delete oldest files.

Delete any files older than Y days old.

That wouldn't work on watched status but would give all users Y days to watch the content before it self destructs. :)

Oh no doubt, this request though is to add the feature to Emby. Probably 75% or more of our library is stuff we already watched (think last summers shows for example, all of them, still sitting there). Sure, I can manually delete it, sure I can write yet another program, heck I suppose I could write emby2, but, the point is an easy to use feature for all. Keeping 4 episodes (we travel a lot) of summer shows that won't air until next summer is not useful. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 2